PDA

View Full Version : Chuck Lorre. . .

Seraph
07-02-2012, 04:46 AM
figaaaaaarooooooooooo

Cyia
07-02-2012, 05:01 AM
I love TBBT and can't stand 2 1/2M, but I'll agree the laugh track is awful in both of them.

TBBT reminds me of Bosom Buddies, and in Sheldon, has one of the most approachable representations of someone on the autism spectrum I've seen in recent TV (Bones is another). The background characters need fleshing out, but the comedy is usually funny.

frimble3
07-02-2012, 05:52 AM
Real comedy shouldn't depend on a laugh track telling you what's funny. In theory you should supply the laughter. I've got this pet theory they work for people more susceptible to peer pressure, as if hearing others laughing makes them think something funny is taking place.
Exactly. That's how they work, and work, they do. That's why they've been used for decades.

Cyia
07-02-2012, 05:56 AM
Didn't Lorre do Dharma and Greg, too? I loved that show.

(FWIW, laugh tracks also - originally - fostered the illusion of a studio audience for shows without the budget or notoriety suited for one.)

K. Taylor
07-02-2012, 06:19 AM
Yes, D and G is one of his.

Love TBBT. And I don't pay attention to laugh tracks. I laugh at what I find funny.

DarthPanda
07-02-2012, 06:52 AM
Dude. Yes. Everything you said x1000. Thank you.

I watched a few episodes of TBBT because everybody I know kept telling me Oh it's gamer-geek-science-nerd humor! You'll love it! And I didn't laugh once. NOT ONCE. The jokes were all like, Look at the nerd! He makes funny smart-people talk but is socially awkward and nervous around boobs! Har har! Geeks speak Klingon but they don't know contemporary mainstream pop culture!! Hahahaha! Socially-retarded geniuses!! That's ironic!! Hahahaha! Sexual frustration!! HAHA! Adults playing videogames!! HAHAHA! LAUGH, MONKEY! LAUGH!!!

*bangs head against wall*

I saw about five minutes of one episode of Two and a Half Men. That was enough. Forever. A little piece of my soul died in that five minutes. And a slightly larger piece of my uterus.

The only show I've seen in recent memory that made me actually laugh out loud was Community. And now they're gonna cancel it. Sigh.

Oh! And Peep Show! It's a British series, they have it on Netflix. That's a funny one, too. I highly recommend that one to anyone who doesn't consider The Fart to be the apotheosis of all comedy.

CrastersBabies
07-02-2012, 06:53 AM
Yeah, I think 2 1/2 Men is utter crap, but I love The Big Bang Theory. Just find one funny and the other not. Can't really explain why. Maybe I just don't think Charlie Sheen and "old, unattractive guy who still drinks and parties like he's 19 and thinks it's cute" is at all humorous.

Mclesh
07-02-2012, 06:53 AM
The older episodes of TBBT seem much funnier to me. The thing that I've noticed with Chuck Lorre is that when he runs out of ideas, he goes for the cheap laugh which usually means sexual innuendo, which is fine, but then he seems to keep pushing it to see just how far he can go. I used to watch 2 1/2 Men and got tired of it being all about the cheap laughs. It stops being funny and just at some point and becomes kind of awkward and flat-out raunchy.

Seraph
07-02-2012, 10:41 AM
figaroooooooooooooo

JohnnyGottaKeyboard
07-02-2012, 11:29 AM
Huh. We had a discussion along these lines (I almost said, a similar discussion, but it wasn't) after watching two episodes of a new "comedy" called Men at Work--which had been compared during onair ads as similar to TBBT. Men at Work is horrible horrible drivel compared to TBBT. It has four archetypes rather than characters that then riff off each other without presenting any sort of reason that they would even be friends.

TBBT has four guys (and the last coupla seasons, three girls) that riff off each other and yet whom you can at least rationalize as being in a socially cohesive unit. Is it high art? No. But a few of the actors (Parsons and Rauch especially and Bialik often) have great comedic timing and the dialogue builds off of dialogue that preceded it in a semi-organic fashion (unlike Men at Work which simply tells jokes like a stand up comedian trying out new material at an open mike). I do feel it should end in the next year or so, as they run the risk of phoning the work in after that--much of the characterization is already devastatingly predictable.

I have tried watching 2 1/2 Men a couple of times and never made it to the end of an episode. Other than having Lorre as a producer I see few similarities between the shows.

Personally I'm a big fan of 30 Rock. But while most people have heard of it, I seldom meet other fans.

Stiger05
07-02-2012, 07:06 PM
I refuse to watch Two and a Half Men. It's just not funny, or even mildly entertaining to me. In fact, I find it incredibly irritating. I change the channel every time it's on.

I enjoy older episodes of The Big Bang Theory, but the newer ones are reaching for me. Unlike you, Seraph, all my nerd friends get the humor and enjoy it (almost all Electrical Engineers, including my Hubby, although one is an Aerospace Engineer and one is a Computer Engineer. The CE is also pretty into comics and comic conventions and gaming). Of course the science behind the show is off, it's a tv show. I don't go in expecting a science lesson, although I am familiar with most the science they discuss. Not every joke is funny, and no I don't only laugh when the laugh track plays--which is a tool as old as sitcoms itself, everything from I Love Lucy to Friends.

I also have mild Asperger's and severe OCD so I relate to characters like Sheldon and Bones. For example, I have a particular seat everywhere I go, I can't sit anywhere else. I just can't. (I'm okay with restaurants where the waitress seats you, but when I can choose my own seat, it takes me a while to find the right one and when I do, I always sit there). I have to do things in even numbers and I can't stand to be touched, especially my ears. These things aren't made up, they're real and they have real repercussions.

I don't appreciate you calling it "Assburgers." Trust me, it's not a fun thing to live with and social interaction doesn't come easily for me. So when you say things like this:

What's funny about that? I get it, I get it, he has Assbugers, that's his character. That doesn't make it funny, nor something to celebrate. Kids are watching this and thinking it's cool to be a douche.

it's completely off-putting. I don't think people are watching and thinking it's cool to be a douche. I hope they're understanding more about how people on the autism spectrum interact. I'm not a douche, but I am blatantly honest. I can't help it, and sometimes it doesn't come out the nicest way, but the people I'm around understand.

Shadow_Ferret
07-02-2012, 07:18 PM
TBBT is hilarious.

2-1/2 Men was funny early on when the kid was still a kid. Now he's just creepy.

If you don't like them, that's OK. Not everyone finds the same things funny or entertaining. I'm sure you like things I'd find atrocious so it all works out.

Cyia
07-02-2012, 07:38 PM
I don't appreciate you calling it "Assburgers." Trust me, it's not a fun thing to live with and social interaction doesn't come easily for me. So when you say things like this:

What's funny about that? I get it, I get it, he has Assbugers, that's his character. That doesn't make it funny, nor something to celebrate. Kids are watching this and thinking it's cool to be a douche.

it's completely off-putting.

Agreed. There are a significant number of people who use this board that have Asperger's, and of those, you'd be surprised how many find it something "to celebrate" rather than bemoan.

Stacia Kane
07-02-2012, 07:54 PM
Agreed. There are a significant number of people who use this board that have Asperger's, and of those, you'd be surprised how many find it something "to celebrate" rather than bemoan.

Or who have children on the spectrum.

BTW, we generally no longer allow our kids to watch TBBT. The humor in the last season or two has become too adult. (And we've found the quality of humor dropping off, too, in general; not because of the more adult nature, but it just doesn't seem as funny lately.) But when we did, we--and our older daughter--found it rather nice to see a representation of a character like Sheldon who was valued at work and at home (despite the issues he sometimes has/causes). We don't think it teaches kids that it's great to be "a douche" (which he is not). We think it's great that it teaches kids that even people with quirks and social difficulties can have full, happy, normal lives.

2.5 Men is horrible, though.

angeluscado
07-02-2012, 08:12 PM
Earlier episodes of Two and a Half Men were funny, until the point where Jake stopped being a cute little moppet. I don't watch the show unless there's absolutely nothing else on these days.

Earlier seasons of The Big Bang Theory really resonate me. While my friends and I aren't into the same things as the guys on the show, we're all awkward like that. Maybe not to the point the guys are at, but it reminds me scarily of my high school group of friends. Later seasons... ehh, not so much. I watch them, mostly because I've been a fan of Mayim Bialik since she was on Blossom and I love Amy as a character, and Melissa Rauch is hilarious. I'm not a huge fan of some of the storylines in the recent season (Leonard and Penny getting back together? I'm having flashbacks to Ross and Rachel). My fiance complained after the season finale this year that it was "turning into a girl show."

I wasn't really old enough to appreciate Dharma and Greg when it was first on - it first aired when I was eleven.

DarthPanda
07-02-2012, 08:39 PM
Maybe I'm mistaken... but perhaps Seraph just spelled Aspergers wrong? He didn't actually write "Assburgers". Benefit of the doubt. Just sayin'.

And as for TBBT as a positive portrayal... I'm a little put-off by how the media portrays AS in general, but the few eps of TBBT I've seen weren't really all that positive. All the characters were clownish, and their lack of social skills/awareness WAS the humor. It just seems like you're supposed to be laughing AT their mental and emotional problems. I'm going to borrow a snippet of someone else's convo from a blog I was reading, because it sums up my feelings:

"When you look at it through the eyes of an autist (and I have not had that privilege, but I have had it explained to me), you’re seeing something very different.
This scene is hilarious if you can just shrug off Sheldon’s compulsion as just plain old “weirdness”. His friends (and the audience) greatly enjoy the twitching and general discomfort Sheldon shows at being kept from his “weirdness”. But this weirdness is a need and, as Sheldon says, Leonard promised “not to do that anymore”.
And it breaks my heart. Because the joke is based on laughing at someone who is actually suffering. Someone who is being bullied by people he trusts. And it makes it less funny over all."

Also, I can't help but resent the fact super-smart people are always portrayed as socially-inept freaks. And the super-hot chicks are always vapid and need to be saved by a dude. The very first episode used every stereotype in the dang book. Socially-inept sexually-frustrated nerds who inevitably have OCD and Aspergers have to rescue Hot Vapid Girl (or, y'know go get her tv back for her because her boobs overpowered their common sense and NO MAN CAN SAY NO TO BOOBS!) and confront her ex, who was inevitably a Big Dumb Hot Muscle Guy who pantsed them, humiliated them, and made them go walk home in their underwear.

Fuuuuuuuuuuuuuu...

That being said, humor is extremely subjective and we all like different stuff. I think so many smart folks like the show because they get all the science and geekdom references, and so many -ahem- not-so-smart people like it because they can laugh at those foolish nerds for being so awkward and "weird".

Cyia
07-02-2012, 08:48 PM
He didn't actually write "Assburgers".

Really?

I get it, he has Assbugers,

You're right. Technically, he used the more childish version that sounds like "ass-boogers". We were being kind.

jvc
07-02-2012, 09:04 PM
Let's assume (so I don't have to lock the thread), that it was a genuine mistake and it'll be edited when Seraph comes back. Thanks.

DarthPanda
07-02-2012, 09:07 PM
Really?

You're right. Technically, he used the more childish version that sounds like "ass-boogers". We were being kind.

I've just seen the word misspelled so many different ways all over the 'net and was giving the guy the benefit of the doubt that maybe his misspelling was just that.

Stiger05
07-02-2012, 09:46 PM
Maybe I'm just sensitive to it, but "Assburgers" is the most common spelling I've seen for people who are mocking the condition. Really, it's not that hard to type it in Google and get the correct spelling before you post, unless you're mocking. Like I said though, maybe I'm just sensitive to the issue.

Shadow_Ferret
07-02-2012, 10:24 PM
Wait. The Sheldon character has Aspergers? Is that a fact? I thought he was just socially inept, like me. I relate to these characters. Is it a stereotype to be socially inept as a geek or nerd? Yes. But it's a stereotype because it's also true in many cases.

mirandashell
07-02-2012, 10:33 PM
I will say upfront that I don't have Aspergers. I do know a couple of people who are on the spectrum but not closely.

So, I don't find Sheldon a douche at all. In fact, because he's so truthful, he hits the nail on the head in a good way sometimes. For instance, the way he dissects the relationship between for instance, Penny and Leonard. It shows Leonard what is going on between the two of them. And sometimes he can beat those around him. Remember when he 'trained' Penny by rewarding her with chocolate? He may not have the instincts when it comes to personal relationships but that doesn't stop him being able to work stuff out when it is put in a context he can understand.

As for the other characters bullying him, I don't see that. Yes they get angry or annoyed with him. But surely, living with someone on the spectrum must get you annoyed sometimes. That's only human. It can't be easy to live with.

As I say, I'm no expert on this but I think Sheldon is a more positive role model than a negative one. No?

As for the OP, that was a pretty rude post. Both to those on the spectrum and those of us who aren't but enjoy watching TBBT.

Filigree
07-02-2012, 10:43 PM
I have engineer friends who rank only slightly lower on the autism spectrum charts than Sheldon. One of them is the love of my life, too. I know how he and his friends 'tick', I make allowances, and it doesn't bother me. The earlier seasons of TBBT made me laugh for the jokes, though I agree we could do without the laugh track.

Could that be Lorre's cynical jab at his viewers: that the television audience is considered so dumb that science/nerd humor HAS to be cued with canned laughter?

mirandashell
07-02-2012, 10:45 PM
But the laugh track isn't specific to Chuck Lorre shows, is it? It's been on sitcoms for years.

And I'm not sure there is a laugh track on TBBT in Britain.

Kitty Pryde
07-02-2012, 10:48 PM
GOODNESS YOU GUYS. Chuck Lorre doesn't use a laugh track on his shows. He uses a live studio audience. Those people cracking up are watching the actual show. I've been to two live tapings of TBBT. You don't have to think its funny, but at least get the facts straight before you mock.

Read this vanity card (thing that flashes onscreen at the end of all his shows, which is different every week): http://www.chucklorre.com/images/vc282big.jpg I am in this picture, the gal in the blue Stanford sweatshirt :D

mirandashell
07-02-2012, 10:54 PM
Then I guess we do have it here and I just don't hear it. Probably cos I'm too busy laughing.

Stiger05
07-02-2012, 10:55 PM
But surely, living with someone on the spectrum must get you annoyed sometimes. That's only human. It can't be easy to live with, surely.

My husband gets annoyed with me from time to time, although we've both adjusted to the other pretty well over the years. I know I can be difficult, like with where I sit, or I have a thing about pressure on my body. Like, I get irritated with him if he pokes me in the shoulder because it makes me uneven and he has to replicate it on the other side and he knows it bothers me. He gets irritated with having to replicate things or go along with some of my compulsions. I know I'm not easy to live with, but we make it work.

DeleyanLee
07-02-2012, 11:19 PM
I got into TBBT later than the first season and watched the majority of it on the DVD's Housemate got for some holiday. I wasn't taken with the first season, honestly, because it was obvious that they were still searching for the "click" in their characters, relationships, and sense of humor.

I actually enjoy the on-off romance between Leonard and Penny because it's obvious to me, the viewer, that they ARE a good couple together, they're an honestly good-together couple, but it's not a couple that's going to pop together and work instantly. They need to learn to trust each other more, to have pride in each other, and I like the fact that the series is taking the time to build that. And it's so good to see a TV series relationship not just rely in pure sexual tension, but in some honest-to-the-characters personality things to figure out.

And while I adore Rauch is brilliant at Bernadette, the only thing I'm watching for is to see how fast that marriage crashes and burns because I don't think they're a good couple together. Howard had a very unhealthy (but hilarious) relationship with his mother and is developing the same kind of unhealthy (but promise of hilarity 'cause I'm not involved) relationship with her.

I think adding the girls to the mix has expanded the area of conflicts in the group, and it's been an interesting ride, seeing where they're going with it.

I'm also on the Spectrum, so it's endearing to see Sheldon and his interactions with various people. I see a lot of myself in his character, but he is so much more extreme than I am by design--it helps me laugh at myself and my own foibles and difficulties and makes it easier for me to deal with my differences.

And because the show is so popular (and appeals to a normally different audience than Bones), when I slip up, I can equate myself to Sheldon and suddenly people "get" why I'm different. That, in itself, makes the show totally worth it to me.

Two and Half Men, OTOH, is just rude and disgusting and it's mostly because of Charlie Sheen's skanky character. I often have problems thinking things are funny (another part of being on the Spectrum), but I generally understand why other people will think something's funny.

That show just doesn't make any sense to me at all. But, then, most popular things don't. That I enjoy TBBT at all is one of the weird times of my life. Go figure.

dclary
07-03-2012, 12:30 AM
M*A*S*H was the first (and I think *only* sitcom to attempt producing without a laugh track (or live studio audience with LAUGH sign). They achieved a compromise with the network: No laugh track during OR scenes, and they did about 5 episodes that had no laugh track at all. The were pretty serious episodes, though.

Both series have very funny moments, and, like *every* sitcom, both series have moments where the humor feels very forced. Network television is, by its very nature, extraordinarily formulaic. You either like it, or you don't.

Kitty Pryde
07-03-2012, 12:44 AM
M*A*S*H was the first (and I think *only* sitcom to attempt producing without a laugh track (or live studio audience with LAUGH sign). They achieved a compromise with the network: No laugh track during OR scenes, and they did about 5 episodes that had no laugh track at all. The were pretty serious episodes, though.

No. Like I said, Lorre's shows don't use a laugh track, nor do they use a laugh sign. Lots of sitcoms are laughing-free, off the top of my head, Scrubs, Happy Endings, Community, Office, Parks and Recreation, 30 Rock, My Name Is Earl, Cougartown, Everybody Hates Chris, and others.

Seraph
07-03-2012, 01:01 AM
figaroooooooooooooo

dclary
07-03-2012, 01:01 AM
No. Like I said, Lorre's shows don't use a laugh track, nor do they use a laugh sign. Lots of sitcoms are laughing-free, off the top of my head, Scrubs, Happy Endings, Community, Office, Parks and Recreation, 30 Rock, My Name Is Earl, Cougartown, Everybody Hates Chris, and others.

I know... I hadn't seen your post when I made my post, but I did specify laugh track OR studio audience.

3 1/2 men seemed obviously live studio audience. Most set-based/3-camera series are. It's the ones that do a lot of sets/locations that tend to be laugh-track (seinfeld, etc.)

Kitty Pryde
07-03-2012, 01:09 AM
You actually think the difference matters? Come on. It's just as fake, training them to laugh like dogs on cue. I just don't like the idea of laughter tacked on. Lots of people don't mind it but it's always rubbed me the wrong way.

You don't have to enjoy it certainly, but how is it fake if it's a real crowd laughing at the telling of that specific joke? That's like saying stand up comedy on tv ought to be filmed without the audience laughing, because it's fake and trains the home viewer to laugh on cue.

Shadow_Ferret
07-03-2012, 01:14 AM
Yeah, I'm not sure how hearing laughter would train you to laugh. I've never felt the impulse to laugh at something I didn't find funny just because of a laugh track or studio audience.

Seraph
07-03-2012, 01:17 AM
figaroooooooooooooo

mirandashell
07-03-2012, 01:59 AM
That's what's confusing me. You don't find it funny so assume no-one else will so therefore it must have a laugh track.

People vary a lot in what they find funny. And no-one is the arbiter of humour

thebloodfiend
07-03-2012, 02:00 AM
I've watched both shows at random intervals. I thought 2.5 men was unfunny before they added Kutcher and I don't get what's so awesome about TBBT. I've tried. It's not for me. Sheldon, in all honesty, doesn't bother me, but I HATE the way they portray the Indian guy. And I don't see the originality in the humor. It's like Revenge of the Nerds, only unfunnier -- if that's even humanely possible. I don't get the hype.

Shows like the above are why I avoid sitcoms. The last one I invested myself into was the IT Crowd. Now that was funny. It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia was pretty funny, too.

And laugh tracks? They can go. They ruin shows for me. I'm left rolling my eyes whenever it comes on at something that simply isn't funny. Let me laugh without you persuading me to. And those who find the jokes funny won't suffer without an audience prompted laugh.

ETA: Happy Endings is somewhat funny, too. I'm just glad they didn't make the black dude the butt of awkward as fuck, stupid ass jokes.

Kitty Pryde
07-03-2012, 02:22 AM
ETA: Happy Endings is somewhat funny, too. I'm just glad they didn't make the black dude the butt of awkward as fuck, stupid ass jokes.

I love it! I think it works because there is a relatively diverse cast, and the humor relies on interesting characterization instead of tired stereotype. The interracial couple does more than "Black people are all like xxxxxxx, but white people are all like yyyyyyyy! It's a wonder we can be in the same room together LOLZ!" The black guy isnt any kind of stereotype, and he struggles because at times because other people think he should be. and to me his character is very realistic. The gay guy is fat and dorky and a bad dresser. His BFF is a straight guy. The gay guy's best gal friend isnt a one-note tragic lonely girl. And the main white hetero couple the show revolves around are the least interesting characters.

Shadow_Ferret
07-03-2012, 02:25 AM
The thing I've noticed is, the people in my life who have no inner geek, don't laugh at, or get, TBBT. Not saying that's what's happening here, but it has been something I've become aware of.
I don't know how comparable the mechanics of those two audiences are. Watching stand up, I tend to laugh right alongside the audience.

Do you laugh even if you don't find it funny? I think this is the point most of us are making. If you don't find it funny, you won't laugh when the audience or laugh track laughs. I don't laugh at stand-up if I don't find it funny, even if the audience laughs.

IT Crowd[/I]. Now that was funny. It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia was pretty funny, too.

ETA: Happy Endings is somewhat funny, too. I'm just glad they didn't make the black dude the butt of awkward as fuck, stupid ass jokes.I've never even heard of any of these shows.

thebloodfiend
07-03-2012, 02:31 AM
I love it! I think it works because there is a relatively diverse cast, and the humor relies on interesting characterization instead of tired stereotype. The interracial couple does more than "Black people are all like xxxxxxx, but white people are all like yyyyyyyy! It's a wonder we can be in the same room together LOLZ!" The black guy isnt any kind of stereotype, and he struggles because at times because other people think he should be. and to me his character is very realistic. The gay guy is fat and dorky and a bad dresser. His BFF is a straight guy. The gay guy's best gal friend isnt a one-note tragic lonely girl. And the main white hetero couple the show revolves around are the least interesting characters.

I love the gay guy in that show. All the characters are pretty funny and three-d without getting stuffed into the position of the ass of the week. It's like a "hipper," less annoying Seinfeld mixed with Sunny in Philly, IMO. (I don't remember their names though, and I hate having to call them out by the "black guy," the "gay guy," the "white chick married to the black guy." I wish it was on Netflix. It's way less cringeworthy than Modern Family.

thebloodfiend
07-03-2012, 02:34 AM
I've never even heard of any of these shows.

IT Crowd is a British show. It's the only major one that made it over here, besides The Office, that I like. I can't stand Skins or the Misfits. The guy who wrote Submarine, an indie romcom, is a co-star. It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia was an indie sitcom that used to come on Fox. It's TV-MA, and not exactly safe for the family.

thothguard51
07-03-2012, 02:40 AM
Personally, I don't watch any of the big networks anymore. The comedies, drama's, game shows, talent shows, etc, have all become formula productions, to me.

I'll stick with my HBO, TCM and Science shows...

Shadow_Ferret
07-03-2012, 02:44 AM
Now "The Office," there's a show that I just stare at and wonder why it's on the air.

thebloodfiend
07-03-2012, 02:46 AM
The British one or the American one?

Shadow_Ferret
07-03-2012, 02:48 AM

Have never seen the British one, so the American one.

DeleyanLee
07-03-2012, 02:51 AM
You actually think the difference matters? Come on. It's just as fake, training them to laugh like dogs on cue. I just don't like the idea of laughter tacked on. Lots of people don't mind it but it's always rubbed me the wrong way.

I don't know about training people to laugh like dogs on cue, however the presence of laugh tracks and live audience responding was a giant help for me (as someone on the Spectrum) learn to identify humor. Even if I don't understand the joke, it helps to function in society to recognize when something was supposed to be funny.

But I don't laugh if I don't get the joke, regardless of laugh tracks or anyone else laughing.

People vary a lot in what they find funny. And no-one is the arbiter of humour

It's like Revenge of the Nerds, only unfunnier -- if that's even humanely possible. I don't get the hype.

*snip*

It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia was pretty funny, too.

I agree with mirandashell's statement. I watched Revenge of the Nerds and didn't get any of why it was supposed to be funny. I found Sunny to be just as insulting to my intelligence as Two and Half Men. Different strokes. *shrug*

thebloodfiend
07-03-2012, 02:55 AM
Have never seen the British one, so the American one.

The British one is much better. I don't get the American one.

I agree with mirandashell's statement. I watched Revenge of the Nerds and didn't get any of why it was supposed to be funny. I found Sunny to be just as insulting to my intelligence as Two and Half Men. Different strokes. *shrug*

:Shrug:

I thought it presented more originality than 2.5 men. But I won't lie and say that I don't find the antics of self-proclaimed white trash funny.

Paul
07-03-2012, 03:07 AM
that's worthy of a thread itself. very interesting the difference between the two.

anyway, tbbt and 2 1/2 men. love both. both tell the same story - a tale of losers.

yup, Charlie's a loser as is the rest in 2 1/2 men, even Jake. Charlie's disintegration (on screen!) was becoming more and more pronounced. maybe that's why Charlie off-screen bailed...

the four losers in tbbt are a little more obvious.

what both have however is....heart. yup. heart. messed up though it is. can't have great comedy without heart. and losers.

Shadow_Ferret
07-03-2012, 04:47 AM
I guess I'm missing the tale of losers, at least in TBBT. The characters are all intelligent and successful in their fields. I should be such a loser.

BenPanced
07-03-2012, 05:35 AM
back on track...

I watched the first three or so years of Dharma & Greg. So much fun watching Thomas Gibson in that after seeing him play the tin-plated horse's ass Beauchamp in the Tales of the City and Further Tales of the City miniseries. The show reeeeeeeeeallly started to drag when they brought in Kevin Sorbo to ramp up the "romantic tension" and tempt Dharma with a potential affair. It came to a screeching halt for me when they had to introduce The Baby Storyline.

I tried to watch an episode of Two and a Half Men but turned it off before the first commercial break. Same thing with The Big Bang Theory. I didn't find either one particularly funny.

mirandashell
07-03-2012, 03:23 PM
I don't get the 'loser' tag in TBBT. As Shadow Ferret said, all the men are successful in their fields. They are intelligent. How do you define that as losers? If it's because of their problems with relationships, well... most of us could be classed as losers if that is the criterion.

If you think about it, it's Penny that the loser. Dead end job, not much money, not very smart. But I guess being an attractive young woman gets an automatic pass?

Shadow_Ferret
07-03-2012, 04:49 PM
Not to mention penny has a revolving door to loser Male relationships.

Wow. I never thought about penny much. I guess I was Giving her a pass because the actress is cute, but yes, she's a horrible female stereotype. No brains, just attractive. Certainly not someone any of the brainiacs could form a satisfying, lasting relationship with. Sex works in the short term, but after that, she doesn't like comics, science, sci-Fi or any other nerdly activity (although she can kick butt at games).

Cyia
07-03-2012, 05:20 PM
I look at Penny as someone who thinks she needs to adhere to the "cute blonde" form, but has more to her that she doesn't realize. She is capable of doing and excelling at other things (like RPG), but she doesn't consider them as things she's supposed to do.

Shadow_Ferret
07-03-2012, 05:32 PM
Well, she does suspect there is more to relationships than a guy with huge pecs otherwise she never would have dated Leonard.

Paul
07-03-2012, 06:27 PM
'losers' as in unfulfilled/ incomplete and likely to remain so.

mind you Howard's not doing too bad, last time I looked.

as for Penny, uneducated to a high level, but far from stupid.

ah Chuck, what you doing with all that moola?

edit. hmmm, seemed he married Karen Witter an actress /model, once a playboy centrefold. But he's now divorced. seems like there's a bit of Charlie in Chuck himself.

Lavern08
07-03-2012, 06:52 PM
...I tried to watch an episode of Two and a Half Men but turned it off before the first commercial break. Same thing with The Big Bang Theory. I didn't find either one particularly funny.

Yeah that ^ :Shrug:

mirandashell
07-03-2012, 07:41 PM
'losers' as in unfulfilled/ incomplete and likely to remain so.

mind you Howard's not doing too bad, last time I looked.

as for Penny, uneducated to a high level, but far from stupid.

ah Chuck, what you doing with all that moola?

Yeah, but how many people does that apply to IRL? Millions, I expect. How many people can hold their hands up and honestly say they are in a fulfilling career with a wonderful relationship with the love of their life? Very very few.

I don't regard any of them as losers. Mainly because I don't like calling someone a 'loser'. It dismisses them as a human being. But that's just my way of looking at it.

Paul
07-03-2012, 07:55 PM
yes, a loaded word 'loser'.

not to me though. i always associate the word with Lenny Cohen's 'Beautiful Losers'.

DarthPanda
07-03-2012, 08:13 PM
yes, a loaded word 'loser'.

not to me though. i always associate the word with Lenny Cohen's 'Beautiful Losers'.

He's definitely my favorite Leonard. :D

sharpyetblunt
07-03-2012, 09:23 PM
The laugh track on most of these shows is so irritating that i just cant watch it. Remove the laugh track and it would often be hard to spot the jokes apart from the innuendo.

Shadow_Ferret
07-03-2012, 11:17 PM
The laugh track on most of these shows is so irritating that i just cant watch it. Remove the laugh track and it would often be hard to spot the jokes apart from the innuendo.
Like British shows?

CrastersBabies
07-04-2012, 01:23 AM
I got into TBBT later than the first season and watched the majority of it on the DVD's Housemate got for some holiday. I wasn't taken with the first season, honestly, because it was obvious that they were still searching for the "click" in their characters, relationships, and sense of humor.

I actually enjoy the on-off romance between Leonard and Penny because it's obvious to me, the viewer, that they ARE a good couple together, they're an honestly good-together couple, but it's not a couple that's going to pop together and work instantly. They need to learn to trust each other more, to have pride in each other, and I like the fact that the series is taking the time to build that. And it's so good to see a TV series relationship not just rely in pure sexual tension, but in some honest-to-the-characters personality things to figure out.

And while I adore Rauch is brilliant at Bernadette, the only thing I'm watching for is to see how fast that marriage crashes and burns because I don't think they're a good couple together. Howard had a very unhealthy (but hilarious) relationship with his mother and is developing the same kind of unhealthy (but promise of hilarity 'cause I'm not involved) relationship with her.

I think adding the girls to the mix has expanded the area of conflicts in the group, and it's been an interesting ride, seeing where they're going with it.

I'm also on the Spectrum, so it's endearing to see Sheldon and his interactions with various people. I see a lot of myself in his character, but he is so much more extreme than I am by design--it helps me laugh at myself and my own foibles and difficulties and makes it easier for me to deal with my differences.

And because the show is so popular (and appeals to a normally different audience than Bones), when I slip up, I can equate myself to Sheldon and suddenly people "get" why I'm different. That, in itself, makes the show totally worth it to me.

Two and Half Men, OTOH, is just rude and disgusting and it's mostly because of Charlie Sheen's skanky character. I often have problems thinking things are funny (another part of being on the Spectrum), but I generally understand why other people will think something's funny.

That show just doesn't make any sense to me at all. But, then, most popular things don't. That I enjoy TBBT at all is one of the weird times of my life. Go figure.

I like this take. To sum up, BBT has heart and 1 1/2 M is just cheap junk, imho. The kid is funny, but the rest is just one eye-roll fest after another. I actually didn't know both shows had the same creative guy there. I'm really surprised.

DarthPanda
07-04-2012, 01:43 AM
On an only slightly related note... did y'all know that the guy who plays Sheldon is almost 40 years old?

o.O

That means he's only like, 6 or 7 years younger than Charlie Sheen.

There's anti-drug campaign in there somewhere...

BenPanced
07-14-2012, 04:45 AM
I gave The Big Bang Theory one. More. Try. Usually when I do this, it's the same episode I tried watching before but it was a different one. And I had the same reaction: "I'm not finding any of this remotely funny in the least." It was off at the first commercial break. I think it was another case of the characters reminded me of people I've known and met in real life that I can't stand so why would I want to watch a TV show about them?