Top Gear (The British Version)

TedTheewen

AW's Most Adorable Sociopath
Registered
Reaction score
Website
tedscreepyvan.blogspot.com
I had to make the distinction because there is also Top Gear U.S., Australia, Germany and I believe another nation.

Either way, I've loved this show for years. I've always looked forward to the lads and their various op-ed pieces, essays and varied television shows.

But now the BBC has decided that there will be no more Top Gear until 2013. Why? Because England doesn't have enough fat people singing on the telly. Long story short, Britain's Got Talent and X Factor have to be concluded first.

I'm horrified. One of the most popular shows in the world has been delayed long enough to kill it.

Bring me the head of Simon Cowell!

Perks

delicate #!&@*#! flower
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jamie-mason.com
What?! It's probably my favorite show ever. I get the full episodes from Netflix a while after they air there in the UK. I guess I'll be waiting a long time for more.

The BBC have long had a bit of an issue with Clarkson and the show in general, haven't they?

Kerosene

Your Pixie Queen
Registered
Reaction score
So no summer of Top Gear?

It's one of the best shows airing.

The american one is, meh. Tanner Foust is good, but the rest of the cast sucks.

Perks

delicate #!&@*#! flower
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jamie-mason.com
I won't even watch it. I like cars, but it's Clarkson, Hammond, and May that make it worth the time. If it's not those guys, I'd rather play backgammon.

TedTheewen

Registered
Reaction score
Website
Richard Hammond's shows are okay, but I dearly love James May's shows. The one where he went drinking around England was hilarious and his show about toys had some pretty cool moments.

I can only hope fan outrage does something about this terrible news.

Filigree

Mildly Disturbing
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.cranehanabooks.com
Let's hope BBC America has some pull, too. I love Clarkson and the lads, and I won't even bother with the American version. (The American versions of British shows suck, in general, but that one turned me off in the first five minutes.)

I'm still marveling over Clarkson & Company's haunting, epic South American trip.

Mclesh

It's too hot
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.storyrhyme.com
We started watching Top Gear a couple years ago. Big fans of the British version. The American version is a very pale comparison. (Why even bother? It completely lacks the charm and humor of the British show.)

I think we have a bunch of old episodes to tide us over for a while, luckily.

TedTheewen

Registered
Reaction score
Website
I thought the American version was a bit too forced. But, there were some funny moments and I think if the guys can get some more time together it will get better.

Tanner Foust is a great driver, but the BBC version started with writers. This is a key difference. Clarkson was a writer and May was a writer/editor before they got into this show. We Americans don't have that and tend to begin with comedians.

Mclesh

It's too hot
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.storyrhyme.com
I thought the American version was a bit too forced. But, there were some funny moments and I think if the guys can get some more time together it will get better.

Tanner Foust is a great driver, but the BBC version started with writers. This is a key difference. Clarkson was a writer and May was a writer/editor before they got into this show. We Americans don't have that and tend to begin with comedians.

Yeah, maybe you're right, it just needs time so they can get into the groove. It's tough to compete against personalities that mesh so well together like Clarkson, May and Hammond.

DreamWeaver

Shakespearean Fool
Registered
Reaction score
I tuned into Top Gear the first time by accident, just in time to see the 1-mile race between an old VW Beetle and a new Porsche 911, which the VW won (hint...no, never mind. Would hate to ruin it for anyone who hasn't seen it). How can anyone not love a program like that?????? How can they delay our new episodes?

Second favorite moment: when Clarkson told Cameron Diaz, "I love Priuses."

Perks

delicate #!&@*#! flower
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jamie-mason.com
When Clarkson said that the Porche Panamera was "as ugly as an inside out monkey" I almost died laughing. Up until then, it was the only Porche I actually liked, but now I can't see one without nearly swallowing my tongue from sniggering.

Last edited:

Old Hack

Such a nasty woman
Super Moderator
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Yeah, maybe you're right, it just needs time so they can get into the groove. It's tough to compete against personalities that mesh so well together like Clarkson, May and Hammond.

Top Gear ran for years with Clarkson and others--Tiff Needell (sp?) was one; Quentin Wilson another. Clarkson was just as he is now, even then. Then the BBC decided it needed reformatting, and sacked them all. Some of the people moved to Channel 5 and a new program was created: Fifth Gear, which is still running. Clarkson was given a chat show, which lasted about ten minutes.

The new format Top Gear, with all its new presenters, died in the ratings and after Clarkson had a bit of fun playing about on other shows, Top Gear was relaunched in its current format with Clarkson, Hammond and some other bloke whose name escapes me now, whose speciality was second hand cars. May was brought in for the second series, I think, and has been there ever since.

Clarkson often makes sarcastic comments about Fifth Gear, even now.

Stiger05

Registered
Reaction score
I'm appalled they put crappy singing shows ahead of Top Gear. It's one of my favorites! I tried the American version and I don't think I made it through one episode. They were just redoing the same stuff from the British version but not nearly as well. The focus (at least in the episode I caught) was on American cars, and American cars pale in comparison to pretty much everything else so they lost me from the start.

Stiger05

Registered
Reaction score
I used to love Brainiacs, before Vic Reeves ruined it.

Ahhh! Brainiac! Loved it. I don't get G4 anymore, which is what they showed it on in the US, but man that was a great show. I still catch myself saying "I can do science, me" hehe.

Mclesh

It's too hot
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.storyrhyme.com
Top Gear ran for years with Clarkson and others--Tiff Needell (sp?) was one; Quentin Wilson another. Clarkson was just as he is now, even then. Then the BBC decided it needed reformatting, and sacked them all. Some of the people moved to Channel 5 and a new program was created: Fifth Gear, which is still running. Clarkson was given a chat show, which lasted about ten minutes.

The new format Top Gear, with all its new presenters, died in the ratings and after Clarkson had a bit of fun playing about on other shows, Top Gear was relaunched in its current format with Clarkson, Hammond and some other bloke whose name escapes me now, whose speciality was second hand cars. May was brought in for the second series, I think, and has been there ever since.

Clarkson often makes sarcastic comments about Fifth Gear, even now.

Clarkson sarcastic? What? Lol. I didn't realize the history of the show since we've only been watching for the past couple of years. I did know that they've had multiple Stigs. :)

A little off topic, but something very cool (and since Tanner Foust has been mentioned in this thread). This was from the close of the X Games in Los Angeles where Tanner Foust and Greg Tracy drive Hot Wheels cars through an actual double loop. It's pretty amazing: http://gma.yahoo.com/blogs/abc-blog...ld-record-162920297--abc-news-topstories.html