Donation for a book review?

Status
Not open for further replies.

bektamun

Registered
Reaction score
Website
vampiresrevealed.weebly.com
With my second book just released, I am once again trawling the internet looking for possible book reviewers. I'm happy to say, that the response has been great so far, but...

One of the book review sites answered my query saying they would love to review my book. Before they would review, a donation was required to help offset their website costs.

I was little taken aback by this and a bit uncomfortable. To me, it felt too much like buying a review. I responded and respectfully withdrew my review request.

There are a couple of things I'm thinking about this:

Surely the website costs are the responsibility of the reviewer. And while I understand it can become costly, they can always recoup through affiliate programs if their website is generating enough traffic. Secondly, it's their hobby, why should I pay for it?

Am I being too harsh? Has anyone else come across this type of thing? Is this the way of the future for indies to get reviewed?

Old Hack

Such a nasty woman
Super Moderator
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
It looks like a conflict of interests to me. I wouldn't participate.

Turndog-Millionaire

Registered
Reaction score
sounds like a nice way of buying a review to me :)

Can you use the word donation if it's required? Surely this is up to you to give, no?

Matthew (Turndog Millionaire)

Arpeggio

Registered
Reaction score
Many Amazon reviews suck, especially the professional ones trying to pass off as genuine.

Interesting article here...

http://socialmediatoday.com/node/449109

On music room (where I used to buy lots of books) you can't review unless you have bought the book.

areteus

Registered
Reaction score
Avoid... the only person who should be paid for a review is me, so send me all your money and I will write you a review :)

Seriously, no... reviews should not be paid for unless the reviewer is paid by the publisher of the publication doing the review. Most you can usually give a reviewer is a free copy so they don't have to pay for it themselves. Seriously, a friend of mine is a semi pro journalist (he used to be fully pro but decided he preferred his morality the way it was, long story...) who does reviews for a magazine. He gets no money but is rolling in free stuff, some of which he even likes :)

It all comes down to conflict of interest. The reviewer needs to be objective and if they have been given money by the author to write that review, the objectivity is lost.

Status
Not open for further replies.