10 year old gives birth.

Vince524

Are you gonna finish that bacon?
Registered
Reaction score
Website
vincentmorrone.com
This makes me sad.

A 10-year-old Colombian girl gave birth to a healthy baby girl, making her one of the youngest mothers ever.

The unnamed girl from Manaure, a town in the Colombian Department of La Guajira, arrived at the hospital in tears and “enormous pain” from the contractions, according to Univision’s Primer Impacto. She reportedly delivered her daughter, who weighed 5 pounds, by cesarean section.

I don't know why, but I'm guessing that the father isn't the same age. But I could be wrong. Still, a child that age? Getting pregnant?

Bookewyrme

Imagined half of it.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
bookewyrme.straydreamers.com
These stories always make me sad too. I believe the youngest girl reported to have given birth was 5 (also from a South American country, though I can't remember which right now). It's not a phenomenon restricted to other places though. The county seat of the county I went to school in (here in the US) there was a nine year old girl who gave birth successfully several years ago.

ETA: Heh, apparently I was typing slow. Incidentally, a wikipedia article with all the youngest mothers around the world. Yes, there are enough to make an entire wiki-article. *sigh*

Vince524

Are you gonna finish that bacon?
Registered
Reaction score
Website
vincentmorrone.com
I believe it's a different one. But I could be wrong.

All these pre-adolescent mothers sound the same.

Was that in bad taste?

missesdash

You can't sit with us!
Registered
Reaction score

Kaiser-Kun

!
Registered
Reaction score
It is estimated that a woman born in South Africa has a greater chance of being raped than learning how to read.

Ouch, my faith in humanity.

Zoombie

Dragon of the Multiverse
Registered
Reaction score
I'm right behind you. We're so effed up, as a species. This shit's just got to stop.

If we had fucking evolved from bonobos instead of chimps, the abusive douchebags of the animal kingdom, then we'd probably be a lot happier.

Of course, things didn't shake out that way. And, more importantly...evolution isn't the be all end all. We're able to control our destiny.

We just need to keep working at that. Africa is poised to undergo a massive change. Wireless communication and the economic booms that that is bringing are going to transform the whole continent. Add to that the educational and social reform possibility...and I've got a hell of a lot of hope for Africa.

Frankly, similar statistics were true of most of the planet until fairly recently. Hell, our rape statistics are nothing to be proud of. We've all got a lot of work to do.

defcon6000

Banned
Reaction score
If we had fucking evolved from bonobos instead of chimps, the abusive douchebags of the animal kingdom, then we'd probably be a lot happier.
Uh...we didn't evolve from chimps. We share a common ancestor with them, and probably with the bonobos, too. But no, we are not descended from chimps.

And aggression is a survival trait, like it or not. We wouldn't be here if we were passive pushovers. Yet, we are a cooperative species, which is something you can't say about the chimps.

Mac H.

Board Visitor
Registered
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Zoombie
We didn't descend from chimps - they get called that because they are among our closest living relatives.

We share about 98.7% of our DNA with chimps ... and we share about 98.7% of our DNA with bonobos. (Bonobos & common chimps share about 99.6% of their DNA with each other) Ref: here

It isn't surprising when you realise that a bonobo is a chimp as well :

• Bonobo = Pan Paniscus
  • 'Common Chimp' = Pan Troglodytes

To quote the omniscient wiki:

DNA evidence suggests the bonobo and common chimpanzee species separated from each other less than one million years ago (similar in relation between Homo sapiens and Neanderthals).

The chimpanzee line split from the last common ancestor of the human line approximately six million years ago. Because no species other than Homo sapiens has survived from the human line of that branching, both chimpanzee species are the closest living relatives of humans. The chimpanzee's genus, Pan, diverged from the gorilla's genus about seven million years ago.

JohnnyGottaKeyboard

Who let this guy in...?
Registered
Reaction score
On the rooftoop where he climbed when the laughter
Uh...we didn't evolve from chimps. We share a common ancestor with them, and probably with the bonobos, too. But no, we are not descended from chimps.
And Sex at Dawn offers some persuasive arguments that our belief (fascination?--fetish?) that we share more in common with Chimp troglodytes (like it) than Bonobos is simply an unfortunate result of our studying the freakin asshats of the primates first.

(Pardon the editorializing--stupid chimps!)

On another note, my dad had a granddaughter (through his second wife--no relation to me) who gave birth at twelve. She wasn't abused any more than the thirteen y o father. I believe she kept the child and raised it--probably as a sibling.

fireluxlou

Registered
Reaction score
This is sad and upsetting considering it's child abuse and rape either way. A child that young cannot consent to sex. Actually a child cannot consent.

And Lina Medina's father was supposedly the father of her baby.

Shakesbear

knows a hawk from a handsaw
Registered
Reaction score
This is sad and upsetting considering it's child abuse and rape either way. A child that young cannot consent to sex. Actually a child cannot consent.

And Lina Medina's father was supposedly the father of her baby.

From a legal standpoint in the UK that would be correct. From a personal standpoint of a ten year old - well, I have recently taught some ten year old girls who looked like they were twenty and had more knowledge of sex than was good for them. The idea of being a 'child' was repugnant to some of them and they wanted to dress like an adult and be treated as one. At ten years old they had no concept of what childhood could be like. Playing was not with toys but make up. In a few years time it might even be, for some of them, sex toys. The boys in the same class were amusing - some of them were VERY interested in the girls and some of them were totally bemused by them. I found it infinitely sad.

RichardGarfinkle

Nurture Phoenixes
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.richardgarfinkle.com
From a legal standpoint in the UK that would be correct. From a personal standpoint of a ten year old - well, I have recently taught some ten year old girls who looked like they were twenty and had more knowledge of sex than was good for them. The idea of being a 'child' was repugnant to some of them and they wanted to dress like an adult and be treated as one. At ten years old they had no concept of what childhood could be like. Playing was not with toys but make up. In a few years time it might even be, for some of them, sex toys. The boys in the same class were amusing - some of them were VERY interested in the girls and some of them were totally bemused by them. I found it infinitely sad.

It's not the ability to think about or have sex that makes one an adult. Adulthood involves facing reality, and understanding consequences. Overconfidence in kids is nothing new. Kids are the epitome of the Dunning-Kruger effect. They see the world narrowly and think they know everything.

(Yes, of course, some grown ups never face reality, but they've had the time and opportunity to learn to do it).

But this poor girl. No child should have to go through that.

aruna

On a wing and a prayer
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.sharonmaas.co.uk
The idea of being a 'child' was repugnant to some of them and they wanted to dress like an adult and be treated as one. At ten years old they had no concept of what childhood could be like. .

The fact that they have no concept of childhood, and deemed it a repugnant thing, actually shows how very immature they really are. The innocence of childhood is an important part of human development, a vital passage into adulthood; it's not something to look down on and reject, but a kind of home base, something that can help keep us intact all thorugh life.

If you have never known the love and caring and simple trust that a healthy child knows from and towards responsible adults, how can you, as an adult, ever be loving, caring, trusting yourself?

I feel very sad whenever I hear of children who have lost out on childhood. They may THINK they are adult, but they are not, they are merely stunted, a chunk of themselves cut off too too early.

regdog

The Scavengers
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score