Help with a Hostage Situation =) please

Dani

Cuddly sweet teddy bear!
Registered
Reaction score
I have now watched so many SWAT training videos my head is hurting and still not one of them answers two questions LOL.

a) If the bad guys have been blocked from entering the room where "hostages" are, would the TRT or SWAT breach(or, if that's the wrong terminology--"go inside") a church where two armed suspects are outside the rectory and one armed victim is inside? Or how long/what circumstances would they go in?

(PS: i use the term "hostages", but it's not accurate. The bad guys haven't been able to reach the victims as they are barricaded inside an office).

b) I have assumed that they would restrain the previously-armed victim when getting to him (er, or I guessed they would for their own safety), but my protag is not part or privvy to that part. He's listening (as an FBI agent) to the radio outside the church. My question is, once the victims have been "saved", how, in terms of radio codes or wording, would the TRT or SWAT relay that information to the police outside at the barricades?

One Monkey

Has One Typewriter
Registered
Reaction score
I am interested in a "real" answer to this question. Common sense dictates that a) as soon as the hostages are secure the SWAT would move in, this would be the Commanding Officer's call and b) as SWAT are a division of the police department they would use the state/county radio codes for police, many of which are available online.

I await evidence of my wrongness with baited breath.

ironmikezero

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
Dani, you don't have a "hostage" situation - you have a "barricaded suspects" situation with the possibility of escalating into a true "hostage" situation.

Most agencies treat their "barricade" and/or "hostage" protocols and procedures as classified or at least law enforcement sensitive. That would include tactical radio procedures. Most tactical radio nets are encrypted as well.

The overall strategy is to save lives, prevent harm. and arrest the perps; tactics to effect that strategy will be decided on the scene. Containment, control, communication, and (often overlooked) patience are critical to successful resolution.

For the purposes of your story, I'd recommend glossing over any specific details about the PD's policies and procedures - you'd probably be safe to make some up, but keep them vague and/or generic. Keep the jargon/dialogue simple - especially on the radio (short & factual transmissions with succinct responses in plain language - that's easier for the reader to follow).

Breach usually refers to a sudden/forceful/aggressive entry - perhaps through a hole blasted in a wall, for example. Make entry usually refers to a less dramatic/violent entry - like through an existing door. In some circumstances, the terms are essentially interchangeable. (When doing the final report, it's usually better to employ the milder term.)

Rescued hostages would be disarmed - for everyone's safety. A (hostage) LEO's firearm would be returned if it's not needed as evidence.

If you're going to involve the FBI, the local field office can muster it's regional SWAT guys to augment local tactical units, but if it's a bigger situation (and pragmatic) they could bring in their HRT (Hostage Rescue Team).

WeaselFire

Benefactor Member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
As to the first question, SWAT moves or "breaches" are never by the book and always determined by the situation. So there's no standard answer. In general, if there are no civilians in harm's way, they will do everything possible to talk the subjects out. Entering is always a last resort and only used when the situation has escalated to no other reasonable option.

All of that depends on the knowledge of the on scene commander.

As for communications, the standard for all agencies, in the US at least, is plain language. "Subjects are in custody" would be the kind of thing you'd hear on the radio. This has come about from a Federal push to get emergency responders on the same communications, there are multiple 10-codes in use and too many call signs. If you have FBI on scene but not commanding, you already have mixed groups. Once they're involved, things tend to get bigger.

And nobody uses scrambled or coded signals. Way too much chance for a miscommunication to happen and make the situation worse.

Weapons are always secured in any situation, but if the "hostage" threatens the police, it changes the situation. In all SWAT deployments, the ultimate goal is for everyone to go home safe and have no shots fired.

Jeff

Dani

Cuddly sweet teddy bear!
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks a lot you guys. I really appreciate your help and the long responses are beyond the call of duty but so incredibly helpful.

Mike, thanks for the suggestion to gloss over the technical terms. Doing so cleared my writer's block on that one moment. I just used "All Clear". I figured that would work.

Question for either of you or anyone else. I got the "suspects in custody" part, but what would they say when they had the victims in custody? "Hostages in custody" or something?

ironmikezero

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
The identity of suspects and/or hostages may not be immediately known, so you can safely use the "subjects" terminology to describe persons/participants now safely contained as the details are sorted out.

Dani

Cuddly sweet teddy bear!
Registered
Reaction score
The identity of suspects and/or hostages may not be immediately known, so you can safely use the "subjects" terminology to describe persons/participants now safely contained as the details are sorted out.

Thanks =D that's perfect!