A blow to the head!

Psychotic.Pink

Registered
Reaction score
One of my characters gets hit in the head, and she has to deal with some brief dizziness and nausea. Apparently being hit in the temple really doesn't do that (or does it?) so I just wanted to make sure/get some advice on where my character's noggin can get hit, since I know there are some medically oriented peoples wandering around here. :3

EDIT: Neeevermind. I got an answer. :)

Last edited:

shaldna

The cake is a lie. But still cake.
Registered
Reaction score
It depends how hard she got hit and where exactly she got hit.

I've had concussion a couple of times and it made me dizzy, confused and I vomited. Not nice.

WeaselFire

Benefactor Member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
A slight blow on the back of the head or any blow that moves the brain can do this. A twisting motion will easily do this, so a punch to the jaw can have this affect.

I walked into a tree at a normal walking speed and experienced this when I was younger. I got hit on the back of the head with a softball in my 20's and got blurry vision and stumbled around. A few years ago I tripped in a parking lot and caught a curb on the temple and blacked out for a few seconds. So it's not hard to have this kind of blow.

By the way, my wife swears I tripped over the painted lines in the parking lot. That's why she made me go to the doctor, not the unconscious head blow part.

Jeff

blackrose602

Registered
Reaction score
Website
blackrose602.wordpress.com
I tripped at the skating rink and went down on my forehead. Blacked out for several seconds, and then was dizzy the rest of the day. My mom tripped on concrete stairs and caught the bridge of her nose on the edge of a stair--huge goose egg, dizzy for a day, and the side effect that she couldn't stand wearing glasses for the next 20+ years. It was a lingering sensitivity in that spot.

ColoradoGuy

I've seen worse.
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.chrisjohnsonmd.com
A concussion can happen from any blow to the head anywhere on the head.

Dizziness, nausea, headache, and vomiting are common after effects. It's also common to forget what happened for about 15 minutes prior to the injury -- so called ateriograde amnesia. The reason for that is that short-term and longer termed memory are stored in different parts of the brain. Your brain is constantly streaming short-term memory to another spot. RAM to hard drive is a good analogy for this. A concussion can wipe out what hasn't made it to the hard drive.