Pat Robertson's words

Status
Not open for further replies.

Puddle Jumper

Did anyone else hear or read what Pat Robertson said about Ariel Sharon's stroke? In this article even Pres. Bush disapproves of it as wholly inappropriate and offensive.

Here's a quote from that article...
Television evangelist Pat Robertson suggested Thursday that Mr. Sharon suffered a massive stroke because the prime minister defied, what he termed, the will of God by dividing Israel.

What do Christians here think about his comments? Personally I agree with Bush. Strokes are a natural part of life, to assume God prevents world leaders from suffering from health problems common to man is ridiculous. Tons of people suffer strokes, is Robertson going to say that God is angry at them?

http://www.voanews.com/english/2006-01-06-voa60.cfm

Perks

delicate #!&@*#! flower
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jamie-mason.com
Puddle Jumper said:
Tons of people suffer strokes, is Robertson going to say that God is angry at them?

No, just Mr. Sharon. This is the special relationship Pat Robertson enjoys with God almighty, that the Lord diagrams which natural calamities get the Divine Nudge and best yet, why he zaps the ones he does. Talk about being in the know. I can't believe the American people did not elect to the Presidency a man who even God himself is accountable to.

Pat~

Luftmensch Emeritus, A.D.D.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Puddlejumper, in all fairness, the link you provided was not very informative. While I'm not a fan of Pat Robertson, I think it's highly unfair to start a debate over what someone is said to have said.

Could you provide a link to an article which includes his exact words? If not, this thread is less intelligent debate, more akin to gossip...

Perks

delicate #!&@*#! flower
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jamie-mason.com
pb10220 said:
Puddlejumper, in all fairness, the link you provided was not very informative. While I'm not a fan of Pat Robertson, I think it's highly unfair to start a debate over what someone is said to have said.

Could you provide a link to an article which includes his exact words? If not, this thread is less intelligent debate, more akin to gossip...

Here you go pb.
http://www.cnn.com/2006/US/01/05/robertson.sharon/index.html

Perks

delicate #!&@*#! flower
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jamie-mason.com
Puddle Jumper said:
Thanks, I might have found a better story if I'd looked harder earlier. I saw it on the national news last night so I knew it was credible, I just didn't think to look at the national news web sites. (long day)

Yes and commentary from Pat Robertson can take a long day and make it a mean one too.

Pat~

Luftmensch Emeritus, A.D.D.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
This article was a little better, but not much. It starts off with a quote lifted out of a conversation; no context to the quote is supplied, and there is no evidence of what he is replying to. It raises more questions than it answers as I read it.

I think Pat Robertson leaves much to be desired, don't get me wrong; I just don't like not being given all the facts, nor do I like feeling manipulated when reading an article. Give me the entire conversation in context, including what was said by the other party; then I might have an opinion. Until then, I'll reserve judgment.

Last edited:

Puddle Jumper

"God considers this land to be his," Robertson said on his TV program "The 700 Club." "You read the Bible and he says `This is my land,' and for any prime minister of Israel who decides he is going to carve it up and give it away, God says, `No, this is mine."'
I don't remember Jesus being that possessive about a piece of earth when He walked the earth. As I recall He told His disciples that every stone would one day be completely wiped away.

And last time I checked, it is the Christian viewpoint that Jews who reject Jesus are not God's people. Why would Pat Robertson then go jumping off a cliff like this? Sharon is a Jew, not a Christian, right?

Perks

delicate #!&@*#! flower
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jamie-mason.com
Here's the fair and balanced version:

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,180774,00.html

Strangely, on the 700 Club website, I couldn't find a transcript of what he said, just the press release explaining why what he said wasn't supremely obnoxious. So, you're right, no luck in finding the whole thing in context, not even from the horse's as* - oops - mouth.

Last edited:

DARRELX

Banned
Reaction score
I have herd this kind of thing before from these holy rollers, spirit filled (So called) Christians. I have a nervous cough, that becomes active, especially when I am stressed. I was told that it was punishment from God, for rejecting the Holy Spirit.

It just shows you, what nonsense people will get involved in when really rejecting the Holy Spirit. It is a sign of the times. Lets just hope that the one taking his place will not be the one spoken of by Paul in Thessalonians. The man of sin and son of perdition.

Perks

delicate #!&@*#! flower
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jamie-mason.com
Hmm, I do have to wonder what we'll say of Pat Robertson when he dies of cardiac arrest or colon cancer or Alzheimer's (let's hope it's not some fantasticly rare venereal disease) when he's 91 (or day after tomorrow, you never know.) Being as righteous as he his, the Lord would surely take him like Elijah - lock, stock and smoking-barrel-of-a-pie-hole, yes?

Mr. Robertson, everyone has to die of something. Is God making a point each and every time?

Last edited:

DARRELX

Banned
Reaction score
Yeah perks, apparently, it is a sin to be sick.

Death in fact is our punishment for original sin, so in that sense, we all have to die because of sin, maybe that is what Pat Robertson meant-lol!!!

September skies said:
That's why I can't stand those Christian preachers - it's people like them that give us a bad name.

There is a verse in Shakespeare’s Midsummer nights dream that reminds me of all the ridiculous men in the pulpit today,

Theseus, “ I wonder if the Lion be to speak”
Demetrius, “No wonder my Lord, one lion may when many asses do

It was as if Demetrius was speaking of the church-LOL!!!

How many Asses are speaking in the pulpit today?

Puddle Jumper

September skies said:
That's why I can't stand those Christian preachers - it's people like them that give us a bad name.
How about Faith Healer Benny Hinn? If you weren't fully healed it's because you don't have enough faith. You can only show how much faith you have by how much money you pour into the ministry. - I'm not kidding, I saw a documentary on this on HBO. Some poor family firlmly believed their child who was healed at a crusade but wasn't fully healed, in fact wasn't healed at all, wasn't healed because they didn't show they had enough faith and though they had given so much money they could barely live off what they had, they continued to find ways to give more money.

I find it sad, really.

Jamesaritchie

Registered
Reaction score
Robertson

Puddle Jumper said:
Did anyone else hear or read what Pat Robertson said about Ariel Sharon's stroke? In this article even Pres. Bush disapproves of it as wholly inappropriate and offensive.

Here's a quote from that article...

What do Christians here think about his comments? Personally I agree with Bush. Strokes are a natural part of life, to assume God prevents world leaders from suffering from health problems common to man is ridiculous. Tons of people suffer strokes, is Robertson going to say that God is angry at them?

http://www.voanews.com/english/2006-01-06-voa60.cfm

I think Robertson was being presumptuous i speaking for God. On the otehr hand, he did quote the Bible correctly. The Bible says exactly what Robertson said it does. Now, how much do you believe the Bible?

I don't pretend to think I know what God does or doesn't do in a given situation, but it's as foolish to say the stroke wasn't because of trying to divide Israel as it is to state that the stroke was because of this. Both statements are equally stupid. But at least Pat Robertson did read the Bible, and did quote God's words exactly as written.

Jamesaritchie

Registered
Reaction score
Bad names

September skies said:

No, it's people who don't believe and follow the Bible who give the rest of us a bad name. And more so, people who spend their time bad mouthing Chritisans in position of leadership. I'm pretty sure there are many verses in the Bible that talk about this in no uncertain terms.

Jamesaritchie

Registered
Reaction score
Perks said:
Hmm, I do have to wonder what we'll say of Pat Robertson when he dies of cardiac arrest or colon cancer or Alzheimer's (let's hope it's not some fantasticly rare venereal disease) when he's 91 (or day after tomorrow, you never know.) Being as righteous as he his, the Lord would surely take him like Elijah - lock, stock and smoking-barrel-of-a-pie-hole, yes?

Mr. Robertson, everyone has to die of something. Is God making a point each and every time?

Well, if you believe the Bible, then yes, God is making a point each and every time anyone dies. And the Bible commands us to be righteous. In fact, Christ Himself tells all followers to "go and be perfect.

It amazes me to hear such bad-mouthing and gossiping from supposed Christians. No wonder the church is in such trouble,

MacAllister

'Twas but a dream of thee
Staff member
Boss Mare
Administrator
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
VPX
Registered
Reaction score
Website
macallisterstone.com
Far be it from me not to beat up on Pat Robertson, when given the opportunity. :)

With that said, though, I have to observe that the guy has become a favorite whipping-boy for the press. I wish they'd go do some real journalism.

johnnysannie

Banned
Reaction score
Website
leeannsontheimermurphywriterauthor.blogspot.com
Jamesaritchie said:
No, it's people who don't believe and follow the Bible who give the rest of us a bad name. And more so, people who spend their time bad mouthing Chritisans in position of leadership. I'm pretty sure there are many verses in the Bible that talk about this in no uncertain terms.

Hmm. Some of the nastiest, most mean spirited people I have ever known in my life claimed to be Christians. Christians and believers come in many varieties and yes, I've known some who were good people but many were not. Some of the most outragest wrongs I've known first hand were delivered by "Christians". I've also found that many Bible believers know little to nothing about the book and mouth what they've heard from the pulpit.

I'm Catholic - and that's not Christian or so I've been told by any number of Christians who considered my particular branch to be heretic and idol worshipping.

Robertson's words are harsh, judgemental, and wrong. Maybe he missed that verse that says Judge not, lest ye be judged. I've been around far too many fundamentalist Christians that claim every illness is a punishment from God and that someone who becomes ill must have a secret sin. Unless someone has been around such believers, they have no idea how radical some of their beliefs are.

Perks

delicate #!&@*#! flower
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jamie-mason.com
Jamesaritchie said:
Well, if you believe the Bible, then yes, God is making a point each and every time anyone dies. And the Bible commands us to be righteous. In fact, Christ Himself tells all followers to "go and be perfect.

It amazes me to hear such bad-mouthing and gossiping from supposed Christians. No wonder the church is in such trouble,

Just for clarity, James, I am in no way a supposed christian. My issue comes from, say, Pat Robertson's beloved grandmother dying. (Should be obvious, but I'm making use of a hypothetical situation here. Pat Robertson's granny may be running laps around the track at Bob Jones University, for all I know.) Would Mr. Robertson be privvy for what sin, in particular, God was systematically stripping away Granny's faculties and capabilities? What about his secretary's teenaged son stricken with bone cancer? Good boy, church going boy. Sings in the choir and chastely dates only good christain girls. Is that just a tragedy that God allows, for we know he works in mysterious ways, or did Junior offend God in some biblically sitable transgression?

I know the bible, James. Gagged down a steady diet of it growing up. Mr. Robertson spoke the references correctly. It's just his presumption that he is allowed to connect the dots and speak for God that galls me.

Last edited:

Puddle Jumper

Bottom line, Robertson's words were very callous, unkind, uncaring, although the Palestinians might have thought them amusing. If something happened to Bush, I suppose Robertson would say it's because he didn't take more of a stand against homosexuality.

I could think of people in the world who would be bigger candidates for God to strike down than Sharon. The idea that God is possessive about a particular piece of land in this world just doesn't sound like Him to me. He desires people to keep forever, not a piece of land that will one day be destroyed. At least that's how I understand the Bible.

I think his desire to possess Israel would refer to Israelites, Jews. Again, the impression I get in the Bible is that often when it talks about the nation of Israel, it's talking about the people, not the physical earth.

William Haskins

poet
Kind Benefactor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.poisonpen.net
james is right. robertson quoted the bible correctly. just as the anti-gay groups do with leviticus. religious people have to reconcile the literal words of their sacred texts with the common sense of the modern, enlightened human; unfortunately such growing pains are dangerous, often fatal.

i'm not bashing religion. i'm just saying when you get to a point where you have to cherrypick which scripture is applicable in light of science or philosophy or cultural evolution, you should probably take a hard look at how valid your belief system is.

DeniseK

Sockpuppet
Banned
Reaction score
Puddle Jumper said:
How about Faith Healer Benny Hinn? If you weren't fully healed it's because you don't have enough faith. You can only show how much faith you have by how much money you pour into the ministry. - I'm not kidding, I saw a documentary on this on HBO. Some poor family firlmly believed their child who was healed at a crusade but wasn't fully healed, in fact wasn't healed at all, wasn't healed because they didn't show they had enough faith and though they had given so much money they could barely live off what they had, they continued to find ways to give more money.

I find it sad, really.

It's more than sad. And it makes me worry, not so much about the crooked and twisted TV evangelists, but that we have so many stupid people in America.

Status
Not open for further replies.