PDA

View Full Version : A Serious Post From Brady

BradyH1861
01-07-2006, 03:26 AM
I am not known for my seriousness, but I have a confession to make. I am scared. More scared than I have ever been in my life.

You see, about a year ago I discovered that a lymph node in my neck was swollen. Shortly thereafter I started suffering from fatigue (extreme fatigue), I lost my appetite (and 10 pounds), and two weeks ago I started waking up in the middle of the night drenched with sweat. (much to my wife's dismay) On Sunday, I started getting very short of breath. Wednesday morning I woke up to find another swollen lymph node in addition to the first one.

Anyway, I finally went to the doctor on Wed. of this past week. He assured me that I just had a throat infection, which I thought was odd since I did not have a sore throat. They ran a full battery of blood tests (I think they took half my blood) and I just found out twenty minutes ago that all my blood tests came back normal, as in, no infection. So there is no explanation for the above symptoms along with difficulty swallowing (but not soreness) that can be found in my blood.

I have to go in on Tuesday afternoon to discuss further tests that will check on the dreaded "C" word. We have had instances of lymphoma in the family, so I suppose that I am at risk.

Anyway, I feel better now that I have that off my chest. I just wish I could get whatever it is out of my lymph nodes. But don't worry, no matter what happens I'll still be my normal jovial self. I learned a long time ago not to question whatever hurdles I have to jump.

It is the not knowing that is killing me.

Brady

Perks
01-07-2006, 03:33 AM
Oh Brady, what can we say? What a fright. I can't imagine. Please know we're thinking about you and share as much as you're willing. One thing about AW, there's always someone here.

reph
01-07-2006, 03:37 AM
Brady, lymph nodes can swell for non-C reasons. I wish I could speed time up for you to shorten the period of not knowing. Medical people always seem to stretch these things over a weekend.

Being anxious won't help, but you knew that. Maybe a drink or two?

scarletpeaches
01-07-2006, 03:45 AM
I don't know if prayers are any good, or good vibes, or nice thoughts, but hey...consider yourself cyber-hugged.

Spend time with friends. It's okay to let them know you're worried, or cry. You have my sympathies.

Dawno
01-07-2006, 03:47 AM
Brady, my thoughts and prayers are with you. Hang in there.

Unique
01-07-2006, 03:56 AM
Oh, Brady. I'm praying for you, bud. I hope it's something minor.

biotales
01-07-2006, 03:59 AM
Hang tough.... prayers and thoughts for you and your family.

awatkins
01-07-2006, 04:06 AM
Oh, gee. This is so scary. I'll keep you in my prayers. Let us know what you find out, as much as you feel comfortable sharing. {{{Brady}}}

unthoughtknown
01-07-2006, 04:09 AM
Brady,

Not knowing is tough to endure. I believe my sister-in-law went through something similar. The test results always came back fine. She'd had some emotional issues to deal with prior and I think that was the way her body was choosing to react to them.

Glad you have the support of a loving wife and although it's difficult, don't let the fear conquer you.

Jennifer.

rhymegirl
01-07-2006, 04:15 AM
I'm sorry you're going through this, Brady.

But I want you to remember a few things:
1. There are many, many symptoms people can get that mimic those of other illnesses or conditions. That's why they have to do so many tests to rule out one from the other. I'd say it's a good sign so far that your blood work came back normal.
2. You have a whole bunch of people here to lean on for support and understanding. And even jokes to lighten up your mood.
3. We will all say some prayers for you.

JennaGlatzer
01-07-2006, 04:20 AM
Brady! :Hug2: We love you. You're in my thoughts and prayers. I wish you didn't have to go through this, but I'm glad you shared it with us. Please keep us updated.

MacAllister
01-07-2006, 04:21 AM
Hang in there, Brady. I spent a week just paralyzed with fear, a few years ago, when I found a lump in my left breast.

It turned out to be from too much caffeine.

My thoughts are with you.

arrowqueen
01-07-2006, 04:27 AM
How awful for you. It must be like having the Sword of Damoclese hanging over your head. I'll add my prayers to everybody else's and hope that everything works out okay.

Puddle Jumper
01-07-2006, 04:27 AM
I can totally understand how the not knowing is unbearable. A couple or so years ago I had to go in for an MRI brain scan to detect any signs of cancer. From the time the doc suggested it until the results came I found the wait unbearable. Although I think I fell asleep during the actual test. The tests came back saying I had an unremarkable brain. Since that meant no cancer I was relieved. Here's praying you get results back showing no cancer or anything like that.

BradyH1861
01-07-2006, 05:09 AM
Thank you everyone. I will, of course, keep you posted. I'm just glad they didn't do a brain scan and tell me they didn't find anything!

Brady

Perks
01-07-2006, 05:11 AM
They may have recommended a brain scan had they know your affinity for that goofy dancing banana.

Chacounne
01-07-2006, 05:18 AM
Brady,

I am so sorry that you are going through this. My thoughts and prayers are with you and your family. Please know my shoulders are broad, and my ears patient if you ever need someone to vent your fears or frustrations to.

Love and hugs,
Chac / Heather

BradyH1861
01-07-2006, 05:22 AM
They may have recommended a brain scan had they know your affinity for that goofy dancing banana.

You are probably right. There is an amusing story from this though. The lab tech that drew my blood asked me if I had anything to drink. (This was at 10 am, mind you) I said that I had something to drink when I woke up that morning. (I was not ordered to abstain from food or drink) Anyway, she gave me the most awful look anyone has ever given me and demanded to know what and how much. I told her I had a 20 ounce gatoraide. She then said that she meant an alcoholic beverage. That explains the dirty look! She probably thought I was quite the boozer.

Brady

awatkins
01-07-2006, 05:24 AM
:ROFL:

AmyBA
01-07-2006, 05:26 AM
Just wanted to add my good wishes to the others'-- keep us posted, we'll all be thinking of you.

:e2flowers

rhymegirl
01-07-2006, 05:27 AM
Here, Brady. Something to make you feel better:

A chorus line of dancing bananas:

:banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana:

Perks
01-07-2006, 05:42 AM
Well, if he wasn't an early morning drinker before, that oughta do it.

Cabinscribe
01-07-2006, 05:46 AM
Hi Brady,

I'm so sorry you are going through all this. I'm sending lots of prayers your way ...

The worst part is waiting, so try to think of things that will help the time go by. (Sleeping is my favorite option!) :e2zzz:

Please let us know what you find out.

In the meantime, if you need anyone to talk to, we're all here for you!

:Hug2:

Fractured_Chaos
01-07-2006, 08:19 AM
*hugs* and good wishes, my friend!

My-Immortal
01-07-2006, 08:25 AM
Hang in there buddy. Take it easy this weekend and know that we're thinking about you.

September skies
01-07-2006, 08:37 AM
Brady, my prayers are sent your way. But as far as those symptoms that you mentioned, they could be to almost anything. Relax this weekend and know we care.

AdamH
01-07-2006, 09:11 AM
Keep your head up, Brady. It's good that nothing's popped up in the bloodwork.

I had a similar situation a few years ago that scared me a bit involving a rash that was spreading and the doctors had no clue what it was after tests. Nothing cleared it up. Then I did something drastic. I quit my cushy job that I hated. Moved to another city with no prospects. Got another job I enjoyed more but paid less. And, y'know what, the rash disappeared. Maybe it was stress that caused it. But I haven't been happier or healthier in my life since I did that. Not to say that's all it is with you. But stress causes the body to do weird things sometimes. To make you aware of something.

Relax, put your feet up, enjoy life (as if you need anyone to tell you that :) ). You've got friends here you don't even realize. Cheers, buddy. We're thinking of you!

JAlpha
01-07-2006, 10:03 AM
Hold on tight to your wonderful wit, it will help you keep a step ahead of your anxieties. I wish you well :)

And here's a virtual massage to help ease the tension http://photobucket.com/albums/c34/JAlpha/th_PROFMassageTherapist02HL2.gif (http://photobucket.com/albums/c34/JAlpha/?action=view&current=PROFMassageTherapist02HL2.gif)

Celia Cyanide
01-07-2006, 10:15 AM
I hope you are well. I had a very strange health problem once. I wasn't in too much pain, but like you I was scared, because they couldn't figure out what was wrong. I hope you find answers soon.

Spookster
01-08-2006, 04:35 AM
(((Brady))) Fret not my dear. We're here for you.

Maryn
01-09-2006, 01:16 AM
Medical tenterhooks is no place to spend the weekend, is it?

The "C" word is major-ly scary, and rightfully so, but even if you get the worst possible news--which is most certainly not a sure thing--know that many of us here still envision you in your underwear. It's just too hard an image to shake!

Mr. Maryn was diagnosed with cancer in 1994. Last I looked, he was sitting in his study, in his running clothes, stinking up the joint. It's made me a firm believer in research and humane-as-possible animal testing and in taking care of one's self, because if he'd received his exact diagnosis ten years earlier, I'd be a widow. (One imagining you in your underwear, though.)

As people have already said, there are other reasons lymph nodes swell, but remember, none of them is really a valid excuse to pay someone $200 to wear a Naughty Nurse uniform.

Please be sure to let us know what's happening and how we can help you get through whatever lies ahead.

Maryn, who will launder her nurse uniform, just in case

Pat~
01-09-2006, 07:28 AM
Brady, you've got my prayers, too. Keep us posted, please?

blisswriter
01-09-2006, 07:46 AM
Hey there Brady. I just wanted to add my prayers and positive thoughts to those here. We're here for you.

Like many others, I've been there. Medical scares for myself, my husband, my daughter... Not good. But they do tend to put things in perspective.

I hope you're spending the weekend doing something you love with the people you care about most.

http://www.absolutewrite.com/forums/images/smilies/EmoteHug2.gif