Status
Not open for further replies.

BradyH1861

Hold Fast.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
civilwaraddict.com
I am not known for my seriousness, but I have a confession to make. I am scared. More scared than I have ever been in my life.

You see, about a year ago I discovered that a lymph node in my neck was swollen. Shortly thereafter I started suffering from fatigue (extreme fatigue), I lost my appetite (and 10 pounds), and two weeks ago I started waking up in the middle of the night drenched with sweat. (much to my wife's dismay) On Sunday, I started getting very short of breath. Wednesday morning I woke up to find another swollen lymph node in addition to the first one.

Anyway, I finally went to the doctor on Wed. of this past week. He assured me that I just had a throat infection, which I thought was odd since I did not have a sore throat. They ran a full battery of blood tests (I think they took half my blood) and I just found out twenty minutes ago that all my blood tests came back normal, as in, no infection. So there is no explanation for the above symptoms along with difficulty swallowing (but not soreness) that can be found in my blood.

I have to go in on Tuesday afternoon to discuss further tests that will check on the dreaded "C" word. We have had instances of lymphoma in the family, so I suppose that I am at risk.

Anyway, I feel better now that I have that off my chest. I just wish I could get whatever it is out of my lymph nodes. But don't worry, no matter what happens I'll still be my normal jovial self. I learned a long time ago not to question whatever hurdles I have to jump.

It is the not knowing that is killing me.

Brady

Perks

delicate #!&@*#! flower
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jamie-mason.com
Oh Brady, what can we say? What a fright. I can't imagine. Please know we're thinking about you and share as much as you're willing. One thing about AW, there's always someone here.

reph

Fig of authority
Registered
Reaction score
Brady, lymph nodes can swell for non-C reasons. I wish I could speed time up for you to shorten the period of not knowing. Medical people always seem to stretch these things over a weekend.

Being anxious won't help, but you knew that. Maybe a drink or two?

Reaction score
I don't know if prayers are any good, or good vibes, or nice thoughts, but hey...consider yourself cyber-hugged.

Spend time with friends. It's okay to let them know you're worried, or cry. You have my sympathies.

Unique

Agent of Doom
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Oh, Brady. I'm praying for you, bud. I hope it's something minor.

biotales

Registered
Reaction score
Hang tough.... prayers and thoughts for you and your family.

awatkins

Not harboring illegal parrot
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.geocities.com
Oh, gee. This is so scary. I'll keep you in my prayers. Let us know what you find out, as much as you feel comfortable sharing. {{{Brady}}}

unthoughtknown

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
Website
jennifersando.com
Brady,

Not knowing is tough to endure. I believe my sister-in-law went through something similar. The test results always came back fine. She'd had some emotional issues to deal with prior and I think that was the way her body was choosing to react to them.

Glad you have the support of a loving wife and although it's difficult, don't let the fear conquer you.

Jennifer.

rhymegirl

It's a New Year!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I'm sorry you're going through this, Brady.

But I want you to remember a few things:
1. There are many, many symptoms people can get that mimic those of other illnesses or conditions. That's why they have to do so many tests to rule out one from the other. I'd say it's a good sign so far that your blood work came back normal.
2. You have a whole bunch of people here to lean on for support and understanding. And even jokes to lighten up your mood.
3. We will all say some prayers for you.

JennaGlatzer

wishes you happiness
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jennaglatzer.com
Brady! :Hug2: We love you. You're in my thoughts and prayers. I wish you didn't have to go through this, but I'm glad you shared it with us. Please keep us updated.

MacAllister

'Twas but a dream of thee
Staff member
Boss Mare
Administrator
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
VPX
Registered
Reaction score
Website
macallisterstone.com
Hang in there, Brady. I spent a week just paralyzed with fear, a few years ago, when I found a lump in my left breast.

It turned out to be from too much caffeine.

My thoughts are with you.

arrowqueen

RIP, our sarky besom
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
How awful for you. It must be like having the Sword of Damoclese hanging over your head. I'll add my prayers to everybody else's and hope that everything works out okay.

Puddle Jumper

I can totally understand how the not knowing is unbearable. A couple or so years ago I had to go in for an MRI brain scan to detect any signs of cancer. From the time the doc suggested it until the results came I found the wait unbearable. Although I think I fell asleep during the actual test. The tests came back saying I had an unremarkable brain. Since that meant no cancer I was relieved. Here's praying you get results back showing no cancer or anything like that.

Chacounne

Registered
Reaction score
Brady,

I am so sorry that you are going through this. My thoughts and prayers are with you and your family. Please know my shoulders are broad, and my ears patient if you ever need someone to vent your fears or frustrations to.

Love and hugs,
Chac / Heather

BradyH1861

Hold Fast.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
civilwaraddict.com
Perks said:
They may have recommended a brain scan had they know your affinity for that goofy dancing banana.

You are probably right. There is an amusing story from this though. The lab tech that drew my blood asked me if I had anything to drink. (This was at 10 am, mind you) I said that I had something to drink when I woke up that morning. (I was not ordered to abstain from food or drink) Anyway, she gave me the most awful look anyone has ever given me and demanded to know what and how much. I told her I had a 20 ounce gatoraide. She then said that she meant an alcoholic beverage. That explains the dirty look! She probably thought I was quite the boozer.

Brady

rhymegirl

It's a New Year!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Here, Brady. Something to make you feel better:

A chorus line of dancing bananas:

:banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana:

Cabinscribe

Often ignored by muses
Registered
Reaction score
Hi Brady,

I'm so sorry you are going through all this. I'm sending lots of prayers your way ...

The worst part is waiting, so try to think of things that will help the time go by. (Sleeping is my favorite option!) :e2zzz:

Please let us know what you find out.

In the meantime, if you need anyone to talk to, we're all here for you!

:Hug2:

My-Immortal

Mr. Invisible
Registered
Reaction score
Hang in there buddy. Take it easy this weekend and know that we're thinking about you.

Status
Not open for further replies.