PDA

View Full Version : So You Think You Can Dance- Season 9

Stiger05
06-28-2012, 05:14 PM
I didn't see a thread on this already so feel free to merge if there is one.

So far, I'm loving this season! I've watched since the first one and I think this might be one of my favorites. Almost everyone I liked made it into the top 20. There were a couple I was rooting for who didn't, but overall I'm pretty happy with the cast, although the guys aren't as memorable as the girls for me.

The ballroom girls are smoking. I'm so glad they let both through! Same with the ballet folks, (I don't know the names yet) I thought the chick was amazing from the get-go.

I also love the belly dancer, not just because she's from my state (although that is a factor, ha!) but I thought she was fantastic. The silent movie chick dances beautifully.

And even though he wasn't the best hip-hopper, I'm glad they put Cyrus through. He had such a great attitude throughout Vegas week and seems to genuinely want to learn and get better. I'm rooting for him. The stepper and the martial arts guy are cool too.

Overall, everyone is so diverse! I'm really interested to see who stands out of the pack and intrigued by the show format changes. No results show? How is this going to work?

Enough of my thoughts, everyone who watches (if there are others that is) discuss...

KateSmash
06-28-2012, 05:37 PM
I was kind of weirded out that the two ballroom ladies and the two jazz ladies are practically clones of each other. I've been thinking they stack the Top 20 in favor of certain people for years now and this doesn't help. I can't vote for people I can't tell apart. But that's my crotchety conspiracy theorist talking.

I'm really glad they've separated the men from the women and are giving us two winners. Last year the fella didn't have a prayer and this year it looks to be the other way around. There are some real powerhouse dudes.

Though really, I'm going to be voting real hard for Cyrus. He's got the potential to pull a Russel, and that would be awesome. Contemporary and jazz bore me and I'm tired of them winning.

Speaking of which, where are the hip hop dancers? There are 8 damn contemporary dancers (plus two jazz and three ballet). Why couldn't one of those spots go to hip hop? (See, I call conspiracy again!)

Toothpaste
06-28-2012, 06:28 PM
Enjoying it so far! Though I hate it when they sacrifice talent for star potential as they did with some of their choices. Love the martial arts guy and silent film girl. Also the kid who Nigel compared to gosling, and the guy who's really tall but not that cut. And alexia because she is a fighter

But really I like them all and look forward to watching this season :) .

Stiger05
06-28-2012, 06:34 PM
I agree on the twinsies thing! I'm a little biased because I love watching Latin Ballroom, but yeah, I had trouble telling those girls apart. I also commented to my hubby (who wasn't paying attention at all, but it's better than the dog) that the jazz girls looked like twins.

I was really pulling for the krumper girl in Vegas and was disappointed she didn't make it through. Hip-hop and the spicy ballroom numbers are my favorite to watch, but I enjoy Sonya Tayeh's choreography too because it's so weird.

I accepted a while ago that the producers were going to put through the people they wanted/favored, just like they'll give good critiques to their favorites. It doesn't stop me from rooting for the ones I like the best, but I don't look at it as a competition as much anymore and just watch the dancing. (As a competition show, the first two seasons felt more real and honest IMHO, then it became more about "favorite" dancer instead of "best"). I DVR it anyway, so I usually just watch the dancing and skip the comments.

MsJudy
06-28-2012, 07:20 PM
Definitely agree on the "favorite" vs. "best." I mean, all 20 of these folks are inhumanly talented. Every single one of the top 20--the top 36, actually--more than deserves to go on and win big, fat contracts.

Interesting that the two ballet guys actually already had jobs. Curious about their thinking. I guess being on TV is thrilling enough to make it worth the risk. But I wonder if the runners-up usually get enough fame to balance out walking away from the steady paycheck.

But maybe for them, the name recognition will give them the boost to bigger roles and more opportunities...?

Sidebar: Anybody else gonna watch Travis Wall's new show? Now, there's an example of somebody who took his SYTYCD experience and turned himself into a star.

Toothpaste
06-28-2012, 09:21 PM
Travis has a show?? What is it??

K. Taylor
06-28-2012, 09:53 PM
In the ballet world, they're only contracted to a company for a year, and evaluated every year. If they can expand their knowledge base to take roles outside of ballet, then they can still work in the city they want to instead of having to pick up and move to another ballet company that will take them.

Also, becoming a recognizable face would help you make Principal Dancer sooner.

Stiger05
06-28-2012, 10:20 PM
Travis has a show?? What is it??

It's something on Oxygen. Unfortunately, I don't get Oxygen so I probably won't be watching. I love Travis though!

CrastersBabies
06-29-2012, 07:20 AM
I really got hooked on this show last season. Melanie ROCKED it! I hope they bring her back for a guest dance spot this year.

And I'll second Cyrus. He's a favorite. His friends folded and he kept going. He has such heart!

MsJudy
06-29-2012, 07:31 PM
Travis' new show:

All the Right Moves (http://all-the-right-moves.oxygen.com/?cid=googlesearch_ATRM)

starts July 31 on Oxygen.

*drool*

Stiger05
06-29-2012, 07:50 PM
Oh my goodness, Nick Lazzarini. I absolutely adore him. And Travis of course, but I've swooned over Nick since season one!

Stiger05
07-12-2012, 09:18 PM
I thought last night's episode was fantastic. There were a few dances that were meh to me, but I am loving Cyrus. Amelia was darling. I always love Travis Wall's choreography, and that last number, the Paso? Hot!

So far, most of the contestants still run together, so I don't have any real favorites. I don't see the ballroom guy lasting very long. I'm interested to see how they fit in the results and all the routines into one show.

Alpha Echo
07-12-2012, 09:25 PM
I loved last night's show, though I only watched the first half. Saving the other half for this weekend when we have our daughter. We had her last night, but 9pm was bedtime for us both. :)

I was really pleased with Sonya's choreography last night. I like it a LOT better than I usually like her crazy stuff.

And of course, Tabitha and Napoleon are amazing.

The dancers, from what I've seen, have danced the routines absolutely wonderfully. The two that did Sonya's number...WOW.

Again, still have to watch the second half.

JanDarby
07-12-2012, 09:30 PM
I taped it after the first half hour, because the amount of filler was driving me insane. Two minutes of dance, eight minutes of inane chatter, two minutes of commercials, and then repeat. I did enjoy the first couple performances before I switched to taping, and even the little bits about the dancers and the little bits showing them with the choreographer, but the endless babbling by the judges was just too much to sit through.

KateSmash
07-12-2012, 09:59 PM
Watch the second half, y'all. That, for me, is when it really started to pick up steam. Though I agree about the filler. Not all of us want to hear about National Dance Day for ten minutes every freaking episode. I don't dance. Can't dance. That's why I watch other people do it.

But Cole in the paso doble at the end. Best paso I think I've ever seen on the show. And Cole danced circles around his partner - I forgot she was even there and this was her style. He's my early favorite to win.

Stiger05
07-12-2012, 10:48 PM
And of course, Tabitha and Napoleon are amazing.

I would love to know how Tabitha choreographed and taught those dances as knocked up as she is. Did they have an assistant? I can't imagine how else they would have done it.

I agree about all the filler. I usually record it and watch it later so I can fast-forward through all the dull parts and just get to the dancing.

Alpha Echo
07-12-2012, 10:51 PM
I would love to know how Tabitha choreographed and taught those dances as knocked up as she is. Did they have an assistant? I can't imagine how else they would have done it.

I'm sure they did, but have you ever seen Dance Moms? That woman...there's no way she's the one who teaches those kids.

Alpha Echo
07-14-2012, 06:57 AM
OMG, my daughter and I watched the rest of it tonight. Holy Cow. I miss dancing. I wish...sometimes I wish I...whatever. I love my life.

And Travis!!!! I have got to look into this show he has on Oxygen because I think we have that channel.

His choreography is INCREDIBLE! Breath taking. Literally.

MsJudy
07-14-2012, 09:06 AM
Absolutely loved the show. I don't want anyone to get cut. They're all amazing. But... if I have to pick favorites, just going by personality and verve and uniqueness...

Amelia.
Cole.
His paso partner.
Bellydancer girl.

I have never much liked the paso doble, and felt sorry for people who got stuck with it. But this one--freaking incredible.

K. Taylor
07-14-2012, 11:27 AM
That was such an amazing, sexy paso. The command he has! Martial artists should absolutely do the paso doble.

Such a talented bunch of kids. It will definitely be a bummer to see them go home this season.

Stiger05
07-19-2012, 05:22 PM
I didn't enjoy last night's dances as much. Other than the Bollywood and the Tango they just weren't that memorable for me. And the intro number? Mia Michaels did one to "Beautiful People" in Season 3 that was better IMHO.

I do think the judges made the right decision in keeping Whitney and Cheon but I was sad to see Daniel and Jenaya go.

I don't know about y'all but I'm actually liking the new format. Getting input from the choreographers sounds like a fantastic way to decide! It seems like it will keep the judges from keeping their favorites around. I thought for sure they would keep Alexa, that she would be this season's Ryan (who I couldn't stand), but I was glad to see her go. Great technical dancer, but no feeling.

KateSmash
07-19-2012, 05:37 PM
I don't know about y'all but I'm actually liking the new format. Getting input from the choreographers sounds like a fantastic way to decide! It seems like it will keep the judges from keeping their favorites around. I thought for sure they would keep Alexa, that she would be this season's Ryan (who I couldn't stand), but I was glad to see her go. Great technical dancer, but no feeling.

Agreed. Without a results show, there's less filler overall. And less of a feeling of the judges cheating the system. But I was mostly bored. Pretty much all the dances left me flat. It's like the choreographers were phoning it in this week. You could tell because Shankman didn't even cry once.

I'm a little scared for Cyrus. That jive was terrible. Though I don't know why the judges were kissing the ballerina's butt for it. She wasn't doing much better. (Actually, I often have to wonder if the judges are watching the same performance I am.)

CrastersBabies
07-19-2012, 07:36 PM
I love me some Cyrus, but I agree . . . I fear if he makes it into the bottom 3, he won't be saved.

I was actually bummed about Alexandra. I had hoped she would go further.

And I love the ballroom girls, too!

Ketzel
07-19-2012, 07:59 PM
As far as I'm concerned, last night they had a tango, a jive, Bollywood, a foxtrot and six contemporary routines. I danced professionally for many years (back in the day when modern dance was a genre). I can see absolutely no difference in the choreography or technique employed regardless of whether the piece is called "hip hop," "jazz," "broadway," "ballet," or, officially "contemporary." The only difference (and even this isn't always true) is in the music. I find it boring and the dancers are all starting to look alike to me, with one or two (Cyrus, maybe Amelia) exceptions.

MsJudy
07-19-2012, 08:05 PM
As far as I'm concerned, last night they had a tango, a jive, Bollywood, a foxtrot and six contemporary routines. I danced professionally for many years (back in the day when modern dance was a genre). I can see absolutely no difference in the choreography or technique employed regardless of whether the piece is called "hip hop," "jazz," "broadway," "ballet," or, officially "contemporary." The only difference (and even this isn't always true) is in the music. I find it boring and the dancers are all starting to look alike to me, with one or two (Cyrus, maybe Amelia) exceptions.

I disagree that they're all the same, but I do see your point. So far, the "hip hop" is so lyrical, you can't tell it apart from quirky jazz, and "contemporary" is really ballet legs with an upper body that's allowed to move. There was a time when each Modern Dance choreographer had a distinctive style. As much as I love Mia Michaels and Travis Wall, if you showed me a new piece and didn't tell me who had choreographed it, I wouldn't be able to guess. No way. And if Sonya keeps softening up and getting all romantic, we won't be able to pick her stuff out of the crowd, either.

K. Taylor
07-19-2012, 10:05 PM
You could tell because Shankman didn't even cry once.

Yeah, he did. He got choked up and teary-eyed once.

KateSmash
07-19-2012, 10:47 PM
Huh, I must have missed it. Usually he's Mary-level sogginess.

Stiger05
07-20-2012, 01:13 AM
I've gotten to where I fast-forward through the judge's critiques. Unless I really liked/hated something and think the judges had the opposite opinion. Even then I skip Mary Murphy unless it's a ballroom number. The dog whimpers when she yells.

KateSmash
07-20-2012, 01:22 AM
No gonna lie: I hit mute every time Mary speaks.

I'm waiting for Lil' C to guest judge. I'll never mute or fast forward through Sir Buckness himself. I always end up with new vocabulary words when he comes around.

MsJudy
07-20-2012, 04:54 AM
I'm waiting for Lil' C to guest judge. I'll never mute or fast forward through Sir Buckness himself. I always end up with new vocabulary words when he comes around.

True that. He's either our next poet laureate or certifiably nuts.

MsJudy
07-26-2012, 07:57 PM
Hmm... Not so thrilled with the new format, to be honest. So not fair that Amber gets sent home on the day she danced her best.

I'm having a terrible time even remembering everybody's names. Seeing them dance only once, and then having to remember and care a week later... is a lot of effort. So I'm not caring who wins, and just enjoying the routines.

One thing about this format: the choreographers and costumers can make or break the dancers. Will and Amelia are so cool, but that Mandy Moore piece was a train wreck. It was so flat and one-dimensional--hey, let's go back and forth sideways across the stage. That'll be cool! And the first NappyTabs number, too. Let's see how many times we can bounce... if we grimace, then people will know we feel something, since we're too busy bouncing to act.

Oh, well. That's enough snark from me.

Stiger05
07-26-2012, 08:18 PM
I agree. Amber did SO well last night! However, under the old format she never wouldn't have gotten to dance it in the first place since the eliminations would have occurred on Thursday (of course she wouldn't have danced the tango with Nick that put her in the bottom either so who knows?).

I don't think the format is working well, though. The two dancers who went home this week lost their partners last week, which meant they danced the numbers everyone voted on with those doomed partners. The Amber/Stepper (I don't remember his name) routine was excellent. Very reminiscent of "Misty Blue," and I'm confident if they'd remained they would have gotten votes.

I'm still having trouble remembering the contestants names too. Right now I lump the pint-sized brunettes and ballroom blondes together. Other than Will, Cyrus, and Cole, I couldn't tell you much about the guys.

I didn't like blonde #1 (Lindsey?) last week, but her and Cole's contemporary was outstanding. Although I thought it odd they gave blonde #2 a beautiful contemporary too. Not helping us differentiate here, Nigel.

The two Latin numbers were terrible. And I agree with Nigel, I want more dirty, grungy hip-hop (and Lil C on the judging panel!). Nappy Tabs are way too lyrical and that opening number just didn't do much. (Even though he was a perv, I miss Shane Sparks's choreo. Ugh, why did he have to ruin it?). I love Amelia and Will, but the dance left a lot to be desired.

Cyrus and Elena (ballet girl) were great. Cyrus seems like such a happy, hard-working, well-intentioned guy that it's hard not to root for him, even if he's not as versatile as the other dancers. Elena's a beast, and just so beautiful to watch. I wouldn't have wanted to have to choose between her and Amber last night. Amber danced well, but Elena put so much heart into it.

I predict the three pint-sized brunettes and their partners (hip-hip and the two Latin numbers) in the bottom. Even if they aren't this week, I don't see them staying long.

MsJudy
07-27-2012, 08:19 PM
I predict the three pint-sized brunettes and their partners (hip-hip and the two Latin numbers) in the bottom. Even if they aren't this week, I don't see them staying long.

I think you're right.

So far, I think the competition is Cole's to win. It's not really about the dancing as much as it is about the personality, and his is the most memorable. From the paso doble to the nerd in the dentist chair to evil contemporary--his characters have been so strong.

mellymel
07-30-2012, 03:42 AM
I'm predicting Cole to win for the guys, but for the girls, I'm still unsure. I like several of them, so I just don't know yet. But Cole. OMG he is a MONSTER to be reckoned with. Wow. He blows me away.

WildScribe
07-30-2012, 03:53 AM
I watch on Hulu so I'm a couple episodes behind, but... am I really the only one who just can't STAND Amelia (the silent movie girl)? Everything about her just seems so syrupy and contrived to me.

K. Taylor
08-16-2012, 07:22 AM
It's back tonight with the Top 14 performing. 4 will go home tonight to create the Top 10 that go on tour this fall.

MsJudy
08-17-2012, 06:23 PM
I'm still finding it hard to keep all the girls straight. The only two I could remember were Janelle (belly-dancer girl) and Amelia (silent movie girl). Now with them out, I'm going to have to try hard to pay attention.

But Cole... man, he is amazing. Interesting that he's from the same studio as Mark. I'd love to see the two of them together in something. That would be intense!

I wish the judges had gotten their heads out of their asses. Look, folks, you did this. You decided to have all your contestants play parts that other dancers made iconic. Then you spend the whole night complaining that it's too hard to forget the folks who made it famous? Well, duh.

I thought Nigel especially was just in a harsh, crabby mood. And the ballet boys were trying so hard to be nice, to make up for the other two.

One of the things I miss about the old format was the guest performances they had on Thursdays. Seeing the ballet boys dance would have been awesome.

KateSmash
08-18-2012, 12:24 AM
No real comment on this week except the usual: love Cole. Getting really meh on the rest of them. Plus a night of contemporary just had me kind of bored. Maybe it's the music that goes with it, but there's something about the contemporary routines that leave me cold. Always had.

Mostly I'm jazzed to see the ALL Stars come back. It really forces the contestants to up their game. Plus it means I get to see a whole lot of Twitch (who was robbed in season 4, tbh).

JanDarby
08-18-2012, 02:04 AM
Yeah, I was seriously underwhelmed by the all-Mia episode. I really, really like her choreography, I think her persona is fascinating when she is a judge or even when she's interviewed as the choreographer.

But it was just too much. Yes, there was diversity across her work, and I'm not blaming her, but one of the things that makes this show so appealing is the extreme diversity of dance styles. It's the anticipation of "will this next performance/choreography be good or a stinker" that keeps me interested. I already knew the choreography was good, because I'd seen it before, so most of the anticipation was gone. I didn't expect anyone to really screw up, and since the previous performances were stellar, I didn't really expect anyone to improve on them, so there didn't seem to be much point to it.

I suppose the producers were just trying to shake things up a bit, and that's a good thing, but I really hope they don't try this particular shake-up again.

MsJudy
08-18-2012, 03:17 AM
I suppose the producers were just trying to shake things up a bit, and that's a good thing, but I really hope they don't try this particular shake-up again.

I wondered if they aren't trying to save money. Choreographers are expensive, and Travis is busy with his new show, and NappyTabs have diapers to change, so.... Let's break out the golden oldies!

K. Taylor
08-18-2012, 03:35 AM
Not so much about expense, but scheduling is always a possibility. This year's been a bit weird because of July 4th then the Olympics, so there have been weeks off where there normally wouldn't be.

One point that was made to the dancers, which is good, was that you usually are put in a job that isn't choreographed for you, so you have to shine in the role and not just get the steps. It's a good taste of the professional world for those that haven't reached that level, yet. I thought it was a very good idea to have guest judges who didn't know the routines on this night, too.

Excited for the All-Stars.

Those left are:
Audrey (jazz)
Chehon
Cole
Cyrus
Eliana
George
Lindsay (Latin ballroom)
Tiffany (jazz)
Will
Witney (Latin ballroom)

Tiffany and Audrey are the ones that haven't stood out as individual personalities. They're both tiny brunettes. Audrey was paired with Matthew and that's about all that comes to mind. Tiffany and George haven't made an impression, yet.

The ballroom girls are easier to differentiate between because of the routines and their partners, and the only thing they physically have in common is being blonde. Lindsay and Cole have done so well together. I love how fearless Witney is in leaping into lifts - she's taken to contemporary very well, so it'll be interesting when she gets paired with an All-Star and another style.

MsJudy
08-18-2012, 07:42 PM
Oh, yes, Cheon! Can't forget to drool over him...

Anyway, my wish to see the Ballet Boys came true! It turns out they have a reality show on Ovation, Nigel Lythgoe producing, that is about them gathering their company for the Dizzy Feet gala. It's called A Chance to Dance, and episode 1 was on last night.

K. Taylor
08-23-2012, 09:02 AM
George and Audrey went home tonight. Cat said there are only 3 more performance weeks left.

CrastersBabies
08-23-2012, 08:21 PM
I'm hoping for Cole to take it for the men. He's beyond talented. Jury is still out on the girls for me.

Stiger05
08-24-2012, 07:38 PM
This is such a short season! : ( I know they had a lot of breaks this summer, but I hate there are so few performance episodes.

Cole is absolutely fantastic! I love Cyrus's personality, but I love watching Cole dance. I think he's got it on lock. Chehon really came out of his shell this week, though. I hope he keeps it up!

With the girls, I'm torn between Eliana and Witney. So far, they are my favorites. I want to see Witney do some hip-hop.

Loved seeing the All-stars back (Twitch!!). The Mia episode was just meh. I love Mia's work, but something about it loses it's power the second time around. It almost wasn't fair to the dancers because suddenly they weren't competing against each other, they were competing against prior contestants. Sorry, but no one can do the bench routine like Travis and Heidi. Sure, in the professional world the dancers need to be able to dance parts that weren't made for them, but in the professional world their names and faces aren't that important either.

The field is getting narrow. I think Will and Chehon are next to go for the guys and Lindsey and Tiffany for the girls.

MsJudy
08-25-2012, 03:35 AM
This was my night to think Nigel and Mary were flippin' idiots. They raved about Witney, and all she did was slink around in front of Nick while he danced his ass off. Then they ripped Cole's performance, when I thought he was pretty damn good.

Maybe they were watching some other bunch of kids?

And I can't believe they didn't give Will a whole bunch more kudos. That guy is HUGE and Nicol had him moving like a jack-rabbit all over the place. He danced like a little Taz (manian devil) but with precision and control. He came way up in my estimation.

I pick Eliana for the girls, but who knows...

Alpha Echo
08-25-2012, 03:46 AM
I agree that the format sucks. I don't like that someone can dance the best dance of her life and go home that very night. There's something wrong about that.

I didn't think they should have had an episode where they duplicate past dances. Some of those dances were performed by, in my opinion, the most amazing dancers ever (Joshua, Katie, and Twitch are my all time favorite dancers on this show). The poor kids could never stand up to them...in my opinion.

I think Eliana reached their level this week, or at least got very close. She's an incredible dancer, and I want her to win for the girls.

For the boys, I agree. Cole is incredible.

KimJo
08-25-2012, 07:46 PM
As far as ripping Cole... I think the judges have shown a tendency in all seasons to be very, very hard on the best dancers. Sort of "We know how amazing you are, and here are some tips so you can keep proving it to us." While the dancers who are good but not great get praised because the judges aren't giving them feedback to push them and make them better. If that makes sense.

Stiger05
08-30-2012, 06:16 PM
I thought last night's show was amazing! They all did pretty fantastic and I love seeing more true hip-hop.

Here's how I would rank last night's performances:

Chehon! Oh wow. I didn't want either of his dances to end. His solo was just captivating. And that tango? Took my breath away. He's really starting to take the walls down and let his personality out; it's so great to see him smile!

Cole: as always, was brilliant. He really gets into character. Shocking to see him in the bottom.

Eliana: She puts so much feeling and emotion in her solos. I love to watch her. Her quickstep was one of the best I've seen on the show.

Will: I thought he rocked the hip-hop number. Sad to see him go, but I kind of figured he'd be next. If only he'd done that hip-hop last week!

Cyrus: always adorable. I thought he did surprisingly well with the jazz number. That's the most dancing they've given him so far. Not the best dancer by a long shot, but definitely the most eager to learn!

Witney: I honestly don't remember what she danced. Oh, yeah I do, hip-hop. It was okay, but her personality kind of gets me. The last two weeks when she's been safe, she's had this "Yeah, I know" expression. I figured she'd turn on the waterworks last night for sure when her "best friend" got sent home, but nope. Pageant girl "surprise" face (What me? Oh really? Wow, I totally knew that...cover your mouth, pretend to be shocked).

Lindsey: Did well but I agreed with the judges, she's great technically but lacks connection.

Tiffany: I kind of forgot about her, honestly. She dances well and all, but doesn't stick out for me. I'm pretty surprised she's still in the competition.

My first inclination is to say it will be Cole, Cyrus, Eliana, and Witney as the top four. But after last night with Cole in the bottom and Chehon doing so well and Tiffany safe, I really have no idea. What do you think?

CrastersBabies
08-30-2012, 06:45 PM
Chehon! Oh wow. I didn't want either of his dances to end. His solo was just captivating. And that tango? Took my breath away. He's really starting to take the walls down and let his personality out; it's so great to see him smile!

Holy cow, I was so mesmerized by him. Like Kat, it gave me chills! I'm glad the voting reflected how well he did last night as well. I hope to see him in the finals. I didn't delete the show from my DVR just because I wanted to watch him again.

Cole: as always, was brilliant. He really gets into character. Shocking to see him in the bottom.

I agree. I'm counting on him to win this thing. But, I love Chehon too. I adore Cyrus, but not sure he's winner material. I think it's enough for him to be in the all-stars. But, who knows?

My first inclination is to say it will be Cole, Cyrus, Eliana, and Witney as the top four. But after last night with Cole in the bottom and Chehon doing so well and Tiffany safe, I really have no idea. What do you think?

I think this is pretty spot on. This is who I also see in the finals, but kind of hope Chehon will make it instead of Cyrus.

KateSmash
08-30-2012, 08:38 PM
Chehon really didn't show up for me until last night. Holy oh my wow, that tango! (Not going to lie: rewound and watched it a few times) Not to mention crying because his mama showed up. I've got a soft spot for guys that love their mamas.

I'm getting kind of tired of them saving Whitney. Kind of starting to thing Dirty Old Man Nigel is trying to fix the competition in her favor (good thing Eliana will blow her out of the water in terms of votes). I mean, she danced next to tWitch bouncing around like a hyper little kid and the judges kissed her butt. I don't know. I'm call shenanigans.

And finally ... I refuse to believe Cole was in the bottom. *cough* Blocked it from my brain. The dancing ninja can do no wrong. Though I hope the choreographer's give him something other than dark and creepy to do next week. He does it so well, but I'm ready to see him do something else. Like a dreamy Viennese waltz. Or a not-cheesy hip hop (let's face it, that dentist routine was made by Velveeta). Oooh, or Bollywood. I know he's got the range for it.

K. Taylor
08-31-2012, 03:02 AM
I like Witney. She dances beyond her years.

Chehon finally figured out how to get lost in a dance. I was so surprised that he came up to Anya's level for that tango.

Who keeps voting for Tiffany? She's a good dancer, but she's the typical pretty little dancer contemporary girl. Dime-a-dozen. And I don't think we've ever seen her in a character.

Will needed more time than the show can give, but how can you not love him? Big adorable goof.

Cole's position surprised me, too. Maybe his fans are assuming he's safe. Probably won't make that mistake again.

Eliana is wonderful. Beautiful inside and out.

Cyrus always makes me smile. He's so unrestrained. Like last night, he had so much fun. He's so grateful for everything. Love it, and that he's always polite, too. The show is America's Favorite Dancer, so who knows.

MsJudy
08-31-2012, 03:54 AM
Yeah, I've been over Witney for weeks now. Though she did offer a bit more character than the other Latin dancer, so it made sense for them to save her. But compared to Eliana--no contest. Period.

But for the boys--I say we just give the prize to all of the top 4. They bring so much personality and heart and energy to their work, and they're all so unique. Comparing them is like asking which is better, hot fudge sundaes or pizza or fried chicken or cinnamon rolls. Depending on my mood, I love them all! Don't make me choose!!!

K. Taylor
09-06-2012, 12:44 PM
Top 4 - Tiffany, Eliana, Chehon, and Cyrus.

I'd have kept Cole over Tiffany. *sigh*

Some great dances tonight. And the Top 10 have tour starting in a month.

KateSmash
09-06-2012, 03:37 PM
Well, I'm done for this season ... :e2bummed:

Stiger05
09-06-2012, 06:50 PM
So sad Cole didn't make it, but I was honestly torn last night. I love all three guys! I couldn't decide which two I wanted to see in the top four. Chehon's personality has really shown through and he's just so amazing to watch. Cole is beautiful and powerful and mesmerizing. Cyrus is so lovable and adorable and tries so hard. I hate that they're having both a male and female winner this year. If they weren't, I bet we would have seen all three guys and Eliana in the finale.

I'm over Witney so I'm glad she's gone. Tiffany making it to the finale is the shocker of the season though. I didn't call her make it past a few episodes. She's just so forgettable. Eliana is beautiful to watch. Such control and poise and she makes everything look so effortless. Her number with Twitch last night wasn't great, but I blame the choreography more than the dancing.

Between Chehon and Cyrus, I have no idea who I want to win. Chehon is obviously the better dancer, but I see him getting more work when this is over, so maybe Cyrus needs the boost from a win? I may not know who I'm rooting for dance-wise, but person-wise, I'm rooting for them both!

CrastersBabies
09-07-2012, 12:10 AM
Yeah, what a hard elimination! I thought Cole would make it into the final for sure. I have a feeling Cyrus will win over Chehon just because I think he's the fan favorite. He is special, Mary is right. I'd be happier if Chehon won, just because of his growth, but would also love to see Cyrus' reaction if he came out on top. So, win/win. :)

For the women, how the heck did Tiffany get into the top two? Holy cow. I'd have taken Whitney over her any day.

Definitely voting for Eliana to win. She is so fantastic! She has the same quality that Melanie had, this "it" factor.

Oh, and I am LOVING seeing the veterans return. Love love love!

K. Taylor
09-07-2012, 05:45 AM
The next 2 shows are on Tuesdays, so make sure you don't watch on the wrong night next week.

Yeah, Chehon was soooo shocked when they called his name. It was that tango that did it. Voting on him last night instead would've been less.

I have no problem with a fave girl and guy, but I want it already called for Eliana, and then the 3 guys duke it out. So bummed Cole is done. The rams number to Adagio for Strings was so awesome.

If I'm not mistaken, Tiffany drew her genre this season more than anybody else did, so she's been lucky to do contemporary over and over where she can show her technical prowess. I've also noticed that every single costume shows that girl's abs. Every single time. If teen boys voted on this show, they'd be going for her - the hot little bendy thing always showing a ton of skin. Are young girls voting because they want to be her? I have no clue.

MsJudy
09-09-2012, 07:58 PM
I missed it. missed the whole thing. Stupid DVR and its priorities taped other stupid things instead.

And I can't watch the reruns on the Fox website because Adobe won't support older Macs anymore. And I'm supposed to be able to watch it on HuluPlus because I have Dish, but I can't get it to work.

So...damn.

I wanted Cole over Cyrus. No offense, guy's got great personality, but Cole's the better dancer and an incredible performer. Too sad.

Anybody been watching All the Right Moves on Oxygen? Travis Wall's reality show?

It's kind of meh. Some great dancing. Last week tWitch and Brian Tanaka did an awesome hiphop number. But...the reality show parts about their lives just makes it clear that dancers in general are terribly selfish, immature little children. Most of them have their careers peak when they're 18-24, and they just aren't very interesting.

I wish the show were about tWitch, actually. He's way cooler than Travis and his buddies.

A Chance to Dance on Ion is a lot better. The Ballet Boys recruiting a dozen dancers for a Dizzy Feet gala, with only 3 weeks to pull the whole thing together. It's all about dancing, not tequila shots and kissing your best friend's girl.

K. Taylor
09-12-2012, 12:22 PM
Very entertaining performance finale. Eliana, man...that girl is so special.

Stiger05
09-12-2012, 05:57 PM
So I'm going to go out on a limb here and say I think Eliana is the best dancer who has ever been on the show. Alison is fantastic at what she does, but Eliana can do pretty much anything, and make it all seem so effortless! It was especially apparent in the number she and Tiffany danced. Tiffany is good, but dancing next to Eliana showed just how much better Eliana is. Hands down my favorite. I totally agreed with Nigel on that.

However, I think what Nigel said to Cyrus was in extremely poor taste. Right after Cyrus danced with one of his idols, right after he blew it up on stage, Nigel's first critique is that he won't be voting for him. Completely inappropriate. I was honestly torn between Chehon and Cyrus last night--I even agreed with Nigel earlier, Chehon's my favorite dancer, Cyrus is my favorite person--and had decided I couldn't possibly choose between them. After Nigel's comment, I voted for Cyrus, because he didn't deserve that, and what he said in his interview as true--winning this will change his life. Chehon will have no trouble finding work.

Anyway, the dances were all amazing last night and I can't wait for the finale next week!

Grrarrgh
09-12-2012, 06:26 PM
I'm with you, Stiger. I thought what Nigel said to Cyrus was extremely tacky. That dance he did with Twitch was amazing (rewound and watched several times) and for Nigel to take the wind out of his sails that way with his "You're great, but I'm not voting for you" was terrible. And so unnecessary. Nigel's the one who has emphasized from the beginning that they're looking for America's favorite dancer, not necessarily the best dancer and it almost felt like Cyrus was being punished for not being the best technical dancer at that moment.

CrastersBabies
09-13-2012, 12:01 AM
Stiger, no kidding! Nigel's comments were really shitty. I remember him saying a few times over the course of the show that this is about America's favorite DANCER and that's why Cyrus is still on the show (because of popularity). And him saying that he was voting for his favorite dancer (as opposed to his favorite PERSON), and with some of his other comments, it was like he was telling Cyrus that what he did wasn't considered dancing.

I think Nigel's comments will actually ensure that Cyrus wins because pissed-off people will be voting for Cyrus now. It's sad for Chehon because I thought he would have otherwise won.

MsJudy
09-13-2012, 08:29 AM
Nigel did that before--was it last year? Telling the boys in the finale that they didn't stand a chance of beating out the girls? He just sticks his foot in his mouth at least once a night. He can't help it any more than Mary can help shrieking.

but anyway.

OMG, Cheon, Alex Wong and Eliana seriously need to start their own company. I would pay lots and lots of money to see the three of them together.

Lots of great stuff tonight, but I think one of my favorites was the pole dance. Eliana's combination of strength, contortion and sex-appeal was incredible. Beyond belief.

And Chehon's elevation....good grief, it takes me back to my teenage years when I got to see Baryshnikov in person. Like somehow gravity just doesn't have the same power over them that it does for the rest of us.

And Cyrus! Watching him animate next to tWitch made it so clear how incredibly precise and crisp his movements are. Nobody else has ever made tWitch look like second fiddle before.

Great to see Will again. Boy, is he beautiful.

All in all...this one is staying on the DVR for quite a while, I think.

K. Taylor
09-13-2012, 12:51 PM
Nigel apologized for not going to vote for Cyrus, but it was so unnecessary to say publicly. We don't need to know he feels personally compelled to vote for Chehon. I'm surprised the employees of the show get to vote in the first place. Nigel should've said it privately if he was going to say it.

Anyway......yeah, seeing Eliana and Tiffany together really showed the specialness Eliana has. Tiffany is good, especially in her genre, but there's something missing....some....soul? Eliana radiates the kind of person she is. Her heart is on her sleeve and that beautiful smile is so real.

Yes, Chehon's height off the ground is unreal. And I want to see the Cyrus/Twitch dance again!

K. Taylor
09-19-2012, 10:14 AM
:partyguy: Eliana!

Stiger05
09-19-2012, 07:01 PM
Yay, Eliana!

Yay, Chehon! Although I really hope Cyrus gets some good work out of this.

Disappointed none of the judges picked Amber and Brandon's Misty Blue-esque dance for their favorite. I loved Christopher Scott's dance with Twitch, Comfort, and Cyrus, though.

Well, that's it for another season. Until next year!

MsJudy
09-20-2012, 03:07 AM
Ooh, I love it when the voting public does what I tell them (since I'm too scattered and lazy to vote myself...)

Eliana and Cheon are both unbelievable. So happy they won.

And yes, that tWitch/Cyrus/Komfort/Christopher Scott number was wicked awesome. And my stupid, stupid, stupid DVR wouldn't cooperate, so I got to watch it but it didn't record. So I can't watch it over and over and over again.

*waah*