Stand Your Ground?

Monkey

Is me.
Registered
Reaction score
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/47986039#.T-vCnhfEK8A

A man who claimed Texas' version of a "Stand Your Ground" law allowed him to fatally shoot a neighbor after an argument about a noisy party was sentenced Wednesday to 40 years for murder.
Raul Rodriguez, 46, had faced up to life in prison for the 2010 killing of Kelly Danaher.

Rodriguez, a retired Houston-area firefighter, was angry about the noise coming from a birthday party at his neighbor's home. He went over and got into an argument with 36-year-old elementary school teacher Danaher and two other men at the party.

In a 22-minute video he recorded on the night of the shooting, Rodriguez can be heard telling a police dispatcher "my life is in danger now" and "these people are going to go try and kill me." He then said, "I'm standing my ground here," and fatally shot Danaher and wounded the other two men.

The only video I could find of this was on YouTube, and is editorialized by The Young Turks, but the raw footage is there, subtitled but otherwise unaltered:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=48YIcVGcq_A

It's clear from this that Rodriguez approached the party goers brandishing his gun. He's being very threatening, and the other men present are putting their hands in the air but not completely rolling over for him - they're telling him to leave, and calling him out on waiving a gun around. When another party goer gets too close, laughing, he is shot...and so are the men who'd had their hands up and been walking away.

The comments under the video are appalling...as is usually the case with YouTube.

In my opinion, judge and jury did the right thing by convicting this asshole. You don't go to a noise complaint brandishing a gun. And the fact that he was both on the phone to a dispatcher AND recording this, especially when combined with a neighbor's allegation that he had " bragged about his guns and told her a person could avoid prosecution in a shooting by telling authorities you were in fear of your life and were standing your ground and defending yourself," suggests that he went over there planning to kill someone, or at least prepared for that eventuality, and already had a plan for getting away with it.

How's that workin' for ya, Peckerhead?

Stand Your Ground does NOT protect the aggressor. But the very fact that so many aggressors think they'll be covered by it is causing actual human lives to be taken. I say that law needs to be stricken - the people it's supposed to protect are already protected by other statutes.

muravyets

Old revolutionary
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
I agree, but then I agreed before I heard this story, too. This is just a textbook example, far clearer even than the Zimmerman/Martin case (which is pretty clear), of what is wrong with these kinds of laws.

J.S.F.

Red fish, blue fish...
Registered
Reaction score
Glad the court saw the justice in this. His argument about SYG was total bullshit. He didn't have to drive over there to begin with and he was packing heat. I think the laws of Texas allow you to carry (I'm not sure, though) and I'll assume he had a license, but still...he drove over to the other person's house, filmed himself doing it, I saw clearly the other guy with his hands up. He wasn't armed.

I hope he enjoys what's left of his life in prison.

Zoombie

Dragon of the Multiverse
Registered
Reaction score
We really need to pick and choose what we want.

Do we want a culture without guns?

Or do we want a GUN culture?

Because we don't have either: We have a culture with guns.

A gun culture is, like a car culture, ingrained in almost everyone. The ways people act in cars - car etiquette - and the technology and legality around cars all make them safer than 4 ton gigantic speeding deathtraps really should.

And the longer we waffle in this halfway point, the more stupid things are going to get.

Shadow Dragon

Registered
Reaction score
I support the idea behind Stand Your Ground. There are times when someone was just defending themselves and got prosecuted for it. However, people that use the law like this do need to be made an example out of in a public way to let others know that it doesn't protect the aggressor.

Monkey

Is me.
Registered
Reaction score
In Texas, we have concealed carry.

We can carry guns almost anywhere. We cannot, however, waive them around and use them to threaten people.

It seems a reasonable line to draw, but still somewhat weighted in the favor of gun owners, especially when combined with some of our other laws regarding the use of guns.

This guy was not concealing his gun. He was threatening his neighbors with it, waiving it around while he demanded that they do as he said. That wasn't legal.

Also, at one point the camera is aimed at two men in T-shirts and shorts - two of the three he later shot - and Rodriguez says "You have a weapon on you," but it's clear that they do not. One says he could go to the house (still a good distance away) and come back "equal" to Rodriguez, but it's clear that neither of them actually have a weapon at the time. So why does Rodriguez say that? IMO, and apparently in the opinion of the court, it was a CYA maneuver meant to cover Rodriguez after he shot the men.

Which again leads me to the conclusion that he went over there intending to kill, and fully intended to use SYG as his defense in court.

Defending your own life or the life of someone else is already a legal defense against murder charges. This law is unnecessary and is causing a startling number of deaths, from this one to the two guys shot outside of a club in Miami, to (very likely) Trayvon Martin, and more. The law is causing people to die.

Plot Device

A woman said to write like a man.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
sandwichboardroom.blogspot.com
I am perhaps one of the most ardent pro-2nd Amendment posters here at AW. And I say this guy was wrong.

There are two legal stances I approve of when it comes to self defense with guns:

1) The "Castle Doctrine" which holds that "a man's home is his castle." And so that law allows you to use whatever force you personally deem necessary to protect yourself while you are in your own home. The caveat here is that it MUST be inside your home. Not out on the front porch, or in the driveway, or in the back yard, or down the street at the local playground, or in a neighbor's back yard. If you use the gun (or even a baseball bat) against an intruder in your home, and you kill him, you are covered. The principle here is that if citizens do not feel safe inside their own homes, then the whole Thomas Jefferson thing about "life liberty and the pursuit of happiness" is a sham. (This final comment of mine with the Jeffferson quote is why so many gun owners feel gun ownership is part of being American. It is deeply believed in all seriousness that what we have in this country is worth defending.)

2) The "Stand Your Ground" doctrine which holds that if you are out and about in society, and if you are --this is important-- MINDING YOUR OWN BUSINESS, and then suddenly a perpetrator comes along, and if HE is the one who starts some sort of life-threatening agressions against YOU, then you have a right to defend yourself. So if you are conceal-carrying a gun, by all means whip it out and defend yourself. (Different states will have different nuances to this law. Such as, you are walking along a street, you are conceal-carrying, and minding your own business, and in a Dirty Harry sort of twist of fate, you stroll into a diner and get your usual morning cup of black coffee, but instead of being black it's got 23 spoonfuls of sugar in it and so you realize some dude is doing a full blown stick-up of the whole diner with a gun, SOME states say you can use your gun to defend the diner. Others do not. This would be a case of your using your gun as intervention on behalf of others rather than cut and dry self defense of just yourself.)

Both of the above doctrines/laws make no provision for you to do what one very good gun expert has famously said: "The 2nd Amendment doesn't allow us carte blanc to go to stupid places and do stupid things with stupid people." So that's three whole layers of "stupid" to be mindful of when you are a gun owner.

This guy did not HAVE to go down the road to his stupid neighbor and be a dumbass by declaring "I've asked you to turn it down. You have to turn it down." He knew that this stupid party was full of drunken people. He probably should have suspected they also might be conceal-carriers themselves. He quite stupidly handled his "request" with obvious agressiveness and with the worst diplomacy possible. My vote is that all three layers of "stupid" have been satisfied here. He should NOT have even gone there in the first place. HE was the agressor. No sympathy from me,

Plot Device

Registered
Reaction score
Website
And one more thing I want to add ....

Determining the correct and acceptable employment of the Castle Doctrine is by its very nature more concrete than any detrminations on the correct employment of SYG. With Castle Doctrine the perp got shot either inside your house or outside. If he got shot inside, you're pretty much covered. But if you shot him outside, the law rarely applies. (I've heard some gun owners say "If you shoot him on the front porch, drag the body inside before calling the cops.")

But without witnesses or cameras, SYG is way too difficult to try and make an after-the-fact judgement call on as far as whether your life was REALLY in danger, and especially to determine who was the true agressor to begin with. This is why I am so unconfortable with SYG in general. Too many avenues for abuse of an otherwise well-intended law.

(One case where I am pleased with how SYG came out in court is a case involving a woman who was out in public and got jumped by a stranger who intended to rape her. She had her gun concealed upon her, but he was clenching her wrists so she wasn't able to draw. So she feigned willingness at first, and then when her hands were free she drew and fired. He wound up a paraplegic and he sued her. The jury found in her favor on the basis that she was perfectly within her rights to #1 feign cooperation, and #2 shoot the bastsard. And then as she walked out of the courtroom victorious, the press asked her: "Any regrets?" To which she replied "Yes. I regret that my boyfriend only bought me a .22. If it'd been a .45 we wouldn't even be here today." )

Cyia

Rewriting My Destiny
Registered
Reaction score
I am perhaps one of the most ardent pro-2nd Amendment posters here at AW. And I say this guy was wrong.

Exactly. SYG wasn't a defense in this case because this wasn't what the law was designed for.

The law wasn't designed so that people with guns could use them to act like idiots on the basis that gun-in-hand means they're in the right. It was designed for situations like the 19-year-old widow/mom who warned a man breaking into her house not to come in because she was armed and protecting her newborn - then shot him because he didn't listen and broke in, anyway.

It's a defensive-action law, not an offensive-action law, and that's a huge distinction. You can't be the instigator in a violent situation and expect SYG to protect you.

Plot Device

Registered
Reaction score
Website
And one more thing ....

"Stand Your Ground" --in a rather poetic way-- implies that you have a right to defend yourself while you are standing on YOUR ground, not on someone else's ground. I realize this is just an idiom, but the underlying human concept of "my ground" is a very primal one that relies upon territorial boundaries being universally recognized.

I have little willingness to recignize any territorial claims a man might place upon someone else's ground. He went to the other guy's house and was thus on his turf... on his "ground." That's a game-changer IMO.

The ultimate concept of SYG holds that when you are out and about in public, any given 4-foot-square piece of dirt you are standing upon at any given moment should be considered "yours" at that moment. If someone violates your 4-foot-square space (or threatens to violate it), then you can defend yourself. This philosophy is very much in line with the assertion "My right to swing my fists ends where the other man's nose begins." But he wasn't out and about in public minding his own business. He went to the other guy's home with confrontation as his sole agenda.

Plot Device

Registered
Reaction score
Website
Exactly. SYG wasn't a defense in this case because this wasn't what the law was designed for.

The law wasn't designed so that people with guns could use them to act like idiots on the basis that gun-in-hand means they're in the right. It was designed for situations like the 19-year-old widow/mom who warned a man breaking into her house not to come in because she was armed and protecting her newborn - then shot him because he didn't listen and broke in, anyway.

It's a defensive-action law, not an offensive-action law, and that's a huge distinction. You can't be the instigator in a violent situation and expect SYG to protect you.

While I apppreciate the support of my post, I need very stringently to point out that the widow you speak of wasn't justified under SYG. She was justified under Castle Doctrine. Two utterly different laws. One law relies upon the physical location of the defensive action. The other relies heavily (but not completely) upon the subjective circumstances underlying the confrontation, including the perceptions (be they flawed or not) of the shooter.

Lyv

I meant to do that.
Registered
Reaction score
I saw the tape a few weeks back. It was chilling. He just stands there calmly reciting the key phrases "I'm standing my ground," and "I'm afraid for my life," when he sounds anything but afraid. While I think George Zimmerman killed Trayvon Martin because he wanted to detain him and deliver what he thought was a burglar to the police, and it got out of hand, I think this guy really wanted to kill someone. That said, I think Zimmerman liked it (joking the next day and later, calmly talking about the crime) but I don't think he planned and waited for an opportunity to kill someone like the Texas shooter.

Glad to see the verdict. After Joe Horn went free, I didn't have high hopes for a conviction here.

Joe Horn was a Texan who talked at length with a 911 dispatcher, saying that he was watching burglars rob his neighbor's and that he was going to go outside and shoot them. The dispatcher tells him over and over not to, but he goes outside, says, "You're dead" and kills them both). I guess that was "Castle Doctrine," even though it wasn't his castle, because property was involved.

Plot Device

Registered
Reaction score
Website
Joe Horn was a Texan who talked at length with a 911 dispatcher, saying that he was watching burglars rob his neighbor's and that he was going to go outside and shoot them. The dispatcher tells him over and over not to, but he goes outside, says, "You're dead" and kills them both). I guess that was "Castle Doctrine," even though it wasn't his castle, because property was involved.

I'm not familiar with the case. But sounds like someone might have tried to stretch the law into what I'll for the moment call "Castle Doctrine By Proxy." But that would be a HUGE stretch.

J.S.F.

Red fish, blue fish...
Registered
Reaction score
I'm not familiar with the case. But sounds like someone might have tried to stretch the law into what I'll for the moment call "Castle Doctrine By Proxy." But that would be a HUGE stretch.

---

If I remember correctly, the case happened about five years ago in Texas (Pasadena). Horn caught two men robbing a neighbor's house and shot them after informing the dispatcher of his intentions to kill them. He blew them away and the grand jury issued a no-bill so Horn went free although some civil rights groups are protesting.

Texas is a big state...huge stretches are part of it (bad pun, I know)...but it seems they're a little more lenient in those who carry.

Unless you do something really, really stupid, as the retired firefighter did.

Lyv

I meant to do that.
Registered
Reaction score

I tried to read up on it and ran out of time this afternoon, but I kept finding articles that stated because property was involved, it was a Castle Doctrine case. It must be Castle Doctrine by Proxy. I just remember being glad I didn't live in Texas (not that I rob houses). If anyone's interested I can dig deeper.

robeiae

Touch and go
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
thepondsofhappenstance.com
I support the idea behind Stand Your Ground. There are times when someone was just defending themselves and got prosecuted for it. However, people that use the law like this do need to be made an example out of in a public way to let others know that it doesn't protect the aggressor.
Agree.
The law is causing people to die.
No it's not. And if it were, it would have to join the Second Amendment and concealed carry laws, just for a start.

It certainly offers a potential justification for some actions--as was the case here--but you can't actually say what this fool would have done if there had been no SYG law on the books.

Kaiser-Kun

!
Registered
Reaction score
I think this moron just saw the Zimmerman case in the news and thought "heeey, wait a minute... this guy killed that guy and isn't doing so bad... I'll go kill my neighbor."

Monkey

Is me.
Registered
Reaction score
The guy reportedly bragged to a neighbor that if you claimed you were in fear for your life and were standing your ground - he used that phrase - then you could get away with shooting someone.

It was a misunderstanding of the law, but that interpretation does seem to play a part in this scenario. He went out there creating a video of the entire incident, and uses key phrases such as "I am in fear for my life," and "You have a weapon" (to someone who clearly doesn't) and "I am standing my ground." He figured the video would prove his innocence, even though it's a video of him shooting three men.

When the two guys were shot outside of the nightclub in Miami , the shooter immediately told the police he was "standing his ground." This happened after the Trayvon Martin case blew up big and there was widespread speculation that Zimmerman would get off using SYG as a defense. Nevermind that the two men were shot in the back...the security guard thought he could shoot them, claim SYG, and get off scott-free.

I cannot say for sure in the Zimmerman case, but in this case and in the one in Miami, the shooters definitely seemed to have planned ahead of time to use the SYG defense. They had that shit all figured out. And having their "get out of jail card" planned, they went on to shoot someone...or several someones.

Without this law, without that feeling that they could get away with it, would they still have shot? We could argue that forever, but IMO, it seems unlikely.

clintl

Represent.
Registered
Reaction score
It seems unlikely to me as well. It certainly seems that several people we know of have been killed, and probably wouldn't have been if the law did not exist.

Manuel Royal

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
donnetowntoday.blogspot.com
This is what happens when men use their penises, or the substitutes thereof, for thinking.
It's what happens when humans act on their base emotions instead of making rational, morally-informed decisions. I think both sexes are equally stupid in this regard.

One thing this case and the Zimmerman case have in common is that in both cases, somebody -- while in no danger -- called the police, and then deliberately put himself in a potentially dangerous situation instead of waiting for the help he'd already called for.

(On rereading -- I'm not clear on whether Rodriguez called the police before approaching the house on foot, or while he was standing on the street. Either way, he forced a confrontation when he could have let the police do their job.)

robeiae

Touch and go
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
thepondsofhappenstance.com
Without this law, without that feeling that they could get away with it, would they still have shot? We could argue that forever, but IMO, it seems unlikely.

Perhaps. On the other hand, have such laws saved people who were justified in their actions? Without the laws, would some people have chosen not to defend themselves with deadly force, but rather tried to have escaped, only to be caught and injured, killed, robbed and/or raped? Have the laws caused some criminals to avoid a confrontation that previously they would not have avoided? Who can say?

Don

All Living is Local
Registered
Reaction score
Perhaps. On the other hand, have such laws saved people who were justified in their actions? Without the laws, would some people have chosen not to defend themselves with deadly force, but rather tried to have escaped, only to be caught and injured, killed, robbed and/or raped? Have the laws caused some criminals to avoid a confrontation that previously they would not have avoided? Who can say?
That brings to mind Monsieur Bastiat...
In the department of economy, an act, a habit, an institution, a law, gives birth not only to an effect, but to a series of effects. Of these effects, the first only is immediate; it manifests itself simultaneously with its cause - it is seen. The others unfold in succession - they are not seen: it is well for us, if they are foreseen. Between a good and a bad economist this constitutes the whole difference - the one takes account of the visible effect; the other takes account both of the effects which are seen, and also of those which it is necessary to foresee. Now this difference is enormous, for it almost always happens that when the immediate consequence is favourable, the ultimate consequences are fatal, and the converse. Hence it follows that the bad economist pursues a small present good, which will be followed by a great evil to come, while the true economist pursues a great good to come, - at the risk of a small present evil.

In fact, it is the same in the science of health, arts, and in that of morals. It often happens, that the sweeter the first fruit of a habit is, the more bitter are the consequences. Take, for example, debauchery, idleness, prodigality. When, therefore, a man absorbed in the effect which is seen has not yet learned to discern those which are not seen, he gives way to fatal habits, not only by inclination, but by calculation.

Myopia can make any idea seem like a terrible one, or a great one.