Senate’s flood insurance program Stalls On Abortion Question

rugcat

Lost in the Fog
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jlevitt.com
WASHINGTON -- Sen. Rand Paul (R-Ky.) moved this week to hold a noncontroversial flood insurance bill hostage until the Senate agrees that life begins at fertilization.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/06/26/rand-paul-fetal-personhood-flood-insurance_n_1628128.html

Why can't the Senate put aside partisanship and get anything done for the good of the country?

Maybe it's because one side of the partisan divide is fucking nuts.

Amusingly, I saw Marco Rubio on the Daily Show last night. When challenged about the GOP filibuster tactics, he explained, quite reasonably, that Harry Reid refused to let the GOP Senators put up amendments to bills, so they really had no choice.

What he failed to mention was the type of amendments the GOP introduces. You want flood insurance? Fine. Just admit that a fertilized egg is a person, and we're good..

Zoombie

Dragon of the Multiverse
Registered
Reaction score
That's fucking stupid. Rand Paul should be fucking ashamed. This is a huge betrayal of pretty much everything a libertarian believes in, and if you try and say otherwise, I will...

DO SOMETHING NON-VIOLENT BUT ANGRY!

clintl

Represent.
Registered
Reaction score
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/06/26/rand-paul-fetal-personhood-flood-insurance_n_1628128.html

Why can't the Senate put aside partisanship and get anything done for the good of the country?

Amusingly, I saw Marco Rubio on the Daily Show last night. When challenged about the GOP filibuster tactics, he explained, quite reasonably, that Harry Reid refused to let the GOP Senators put up amendments to bills, so they really had no choice.

What he failed to mention was the type of amendments the GOP introduces. You want flood insurance? Fine. Just admit that a fertilized egg is a person, and we're good..

Rand Paul sure learned how to be a congressional slimeball quickly, didn't he?

muravyets

Old revolutionary
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Well, then, maybe Rand Paul thinks that if we all jump onto the bandwagon of fertilized egg persons, God will be conned into thinking we're all devout, and then our insurance will...um...be worthless because we won't get flooded...so the government...won't have to fund it after all? Yippee!

Or maybe he's just a partisan hack bastard.

Could be either one, I guess.

blacbird

Registered
Reaction score
Kentucky had a decent chance to elect a decent Senator last go-round, and decided on Rand Paul instead. Next time you get flooded, Paducah, remember this: You earned it.

caw

Alpha Echo

I should be writing.
Registered
Reaction score
Wow. He didn't even try to hide it. Don't politicians normally just bury the law they really want to pass in the middle of a law they don't really care about in hopes no one will read the fine print, so to speak?

Roger J Carlson

Moderator In Name Only
Registered
Reaction score
You know, the "everybody does it, but the other side is worse" trope is getting really old.

regdog

The Scavengers
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Rand Paul is an asshat.

William Haskins

poet
Kind Benefactor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.poisonpen.net
one would think that reid would be more consistent:

"I'm told last night that one of our Republican senators wants to offer an amendment -- listen to this one -- wants to offer an amendment on when life begins," Reid said on the Senate floor Tuesday. "I am not going to put up with that on flood insurance. I can be condemned by outside sources; my friends can say, 'Let them have a vote on it.' There will not be a vote on that on flood insurance. We'll either do flood insurance with the amendments that deal with flood insurance, or we won't do it..."

Reid has allowed Republicans to attach unrelated amendments to other important bills in the past few months. Most notably, he let the Senate vote on a contraception-related amendment, proposed by Sen. Roy Blunt (R-Mo.), to a transportation bill.

so, yeah... either hold a strong line requiring amendments to be directly related to the meat of the bill, or else you roll out a welcome mat for this kind of idiocy.

rugcat

Lost in the Fog
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jlevitt.com
You know, the "everybody does it, but the other side is worse" trope is getting really old.
Actually, what's getting old is the "both sides are really the same" trope.

In case I wasn't clear, I'm not saying the GOP is worse. I'm saying there is something fundamentally wrong with what they've become and that they've been taken over by extremist right wingers whose agenda is implacable and who as individuals, are profoundly disturbed.

clintl

Represent.
Registered
Reaction score
Nobody here that I can recall defends Harry Reid. At least not often.

Zoombie

Dragon of the Multiverse
Registered
Reaction score
The GOP are to conservatives the same way a chemical fire that sprays acid that creates tiny scorpions that sting you constantly is similar to a comforting candle flame.

It's spectacular to watch, but OH GOD IT'S IN MY EYES!

Except in this case, "eyes" means "freedom."

benbradley

It's a doggy dog world
Registered
Reaction score
Wow. He didn't even try to hide it. Don't politicians normally just bury the law they really want to pass in the middle of a law they don't really care about in hopes no one will read the fine print, so to speak?
Perhaps he's an "honest" politician.

Roger J Carlson

Moderator In Name Only
Registered
Reaction score

In case I wasn't clear, I'm not saying the GOP is worse. I'm saying there is something fundamentally wrong with what they've become and that they've been taken over by extremist right wingers whose agenda is implacable and who as individuals, are profoundly disturbed.
Oh. Right. I'm not sure how I could have believed that:
meant anything else.

muravyets

Old revolutionary
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com

In addition to which, not only did no one here say the GOP is worse, we also didn't say everybody does it.

Bartholomew

Comic guy
Kind Benefactor
Poetry Book Collaborator
Registered
Reaction score
That's fucking stupid. Rand Paul should be fucking ashamed. This is a huge betrayal of pretty much everything a libertarian believes in, and if you try and say otherwise, I will...

DO SOMETHING NON-VIOLENT BUT ANGRY!

Bake sale, but yell at everyone who doesn't buy anything.