Sub to your top choice or last?

CuriousandCuriouser

Registered
Reaction score
I was just wondering ... When you are ready to send out queries.. do you all send to your very top choice first? Or to a lower level agent to see if there are any nibbles on your query first?

Thanx u wonderful writers u

quicklime

all out of fucks to give
Banned
Reaction score
I was just wondering ... When you are ready to send out queries.. do you all send to your very top choice first? Or to a lower level agent to see if there are any nibbles on your query first?

Thanx u wonderful writers u

what would you propose doing, if you got a bite? Sending them a note saying you wanted to know if a sub-par agent liked it enough, but now they should wait while you see if anyone better wants it?

send to the top first.

Beachgirl

Not easily managed
Registered
Reaction score
what would you propose doing, if you got a bite? Sending them a note saying you wanted to know if a sub-par agent liked it enough, but now they should wait while you see if anyone better wants it?

send to the top first.

^^This. Always.

heyjude

Making my own sunshine
Registered
Reaction score
You should have a number of agents you'd be interested in working with (and already know that they're not scammers, that they rep what you write, etc). Send Qs in batches of 5-10 and see how it's going. Don't send to all your favorites right at first in case you find that your Q or the ms itself needs tweaking.

Last edited:

Shadow_Ferret

Court Jester
Registered
Reaction score
Website
shadowferret.wordpress.com
What quicklime said. I see no purpose in starting at the bottom unless, when a bottom tier agent accepts it, you go, "Neener Neener! You can't have it!"

If you did that enough I would think you end up with a rep as a head case and the top tier probably wouldn't want anything to do with you.

CuriousandCuriouser

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks everyone for your replies!

Quick- I guess I should have clarified more but I had posted this quickly. Of course I would take any bites, any nibbles even a sniff :) But I was just wondering if anyone had sent queries out to see if it would get a positive response from other agents they were interested in before sending to their very very top choice. I guess I was thinking if you didn't get a good response a request for a partial or full from a few "lower agents" on your list that would let you know you had some tweaking to do before you sent it to your favey favorites. I dunno I was just mulling the idea around.
I would never ever ever sub to someone I did not truly want to work with though and I could never bring myself to "neener neener" an agent lol. I'd probably give them my first born just for a peek.
But I think heyj 's idea of splitting my faves up is great, that way it would give me time to fix anything that needs fixing. Thank you all very much!

Fae11

Registered
Reaction score
CuriousandCuriouser: I did exactly what you're mulling over in combination with what others have suggested. I sent out a few queries at a time, and did a mix of top agents and agents who were less high on my list. In the end, I got an offer from an agent lower on the ladder, but because of that offer, another offer followed from an agent higher on my list. I have come to believe that it isn't a good idea to try all of one's favorites first. My query definitely changed as I went along and got better with each pass. Good luck with your search!