To smiley? Or not to smiley?

Sydneyd

Aye, ye scurvy dog!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I wasn't sure where to post this so I put it in Office party, though it isn't party material.

I find that I continuously use phrases or smileys to lessen or maybe (<-my point) make my words friendlier. For example I almost always begin my posts on AW with something like, "I think..." or "In my opinion.." this isn't because I wish to make clear that the opinions are my own, but because I feel like I should...

When it comes to the smiley, I try to not include them, but feel like in texts or on online forums, in chat, that to not include them, it makes my statement seem rude somehow.

Does anyone else experience this? I've noticed that many people can send a text or post a message without adding some sort of caveat that indicates it is their own opinion or a toothy grin. I feel like (<-Another example) it lessens my message. Any tips on how I can mentally stop this? I know how to physically stop it, but I cringe every time.

Ok. Thanks!

heyjude

Making my own sunshine
Registered
Reaction score
:hi: Smileys are fun! And without nonverbal cues, they help set tone. Not everyone needs them, but I love them.

dpaterso

Also in our Discord and IRC chat channels
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Website
derekpaterson.net
I find smileys help avoid hassle. When I forget to use them, when I assume I have some kind of friendly rapport with whoever I'm talking to and they know my sense of humor, BAM! there's a PM asking me whether I was joking or not and/or expressing some degree of being offended by my remark.

Fact, the internet is chock full o' drama queens and kings spoiling for a fight and seeking offense where none was ever intended. If I met 'em in real life, I'd give 'em a fat lip for being so damn touchy.

So I don't think you should avoid using smileys at all, you should definitely use more, so I don't give you a fat lip.

[Error: smiley not found]

-Derek

Sydneyd

Aye, ye scurvy dog!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
You did not :D So you should expect a PM from me soon.

(In my opinion, I thought you should know, I am joking ;) ;) ;) ;)!!!!!) le point.

me-a-monsteR

Bites upon request
Registered
Reaction score
No idea if this'll be helpful at all. I'm sort of new around these parts and recently discovered the smilies. As a consequence, I'm often tempted to go completely trigger-happy (especially with the banana). :banana:
*hangs head* sorry, anyone who had to endure my banana obsession. :banana:

Sydneyd, I'm wondering whether someone indicated to you that you've offended them? If not, then why worry about it.

I think everyone offends someone some time. It's just the way the world is :Shrug:

DISCLAIMER: sorry to all I've offended. monsteR can have bull in china shop tendencies, but means no harm.

Sophia

Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Fifty quatloos on all of you getting smiley-filled reps up to your eyeballs for posting in this thread.

Syd, I recommend beginning everything you say with "As is accepted fact, [...]" and closing with "natch."

Mr Flibble

They've been very bad, Mr Flibble
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
We couldn't possibly do that. Who'd clear up the m
Website
francisknightbooks.co.uk
When talking to Derek, I find this one helpful:

Death_ray_by_CookiemagiK.gif

Sydneyd

Aye, ye scurvy dog!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
No idea if this'll be helpful at all. I'm sort of new around these parts and recently discovered the smilies. As a consequence, I'm often tempted to go completely trigger-happy (especially with the banana).
*hangs head* sorry, anyone who had to endure my banana obsession.

Sydneyd, I'm wondering whether someone indicated to you that you've offended them? If not, then why worry about it.

I think everyone offends someone some time. It's just the way the world is

DISCLAIMER: sorry to all I've offended. monsteR can have bull in china shop tendencies, but means no harm.
No, no offence. I have nothing against smileys. I love them. I have difficulty with feeling like they are my crutch, like I can't express an opinion without utilizing a smiley to lessen the opinion and make it more acceptable. I am comforted to see (from the responses so far) that I am not the only one who feels this way.

Also, you can call me syd :) Also, in your signature I thought it said, "Off to lurk in THE head" and I thought you were lurking in the bathroom for a moment. (I am resisting the urge to add :D after this statement)

Sydneyd

Aye, ye scurvy dog!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Fifty quatloos on all of you getting smiley-filled reps up to your eyeballs for posting in this thread.

Syd, I recommend beginning everything you say with "As is accepted fact, [...]" and closing with "natch."

Hehe: It is absolute truth that... :D

When talking to Derek, I find this one helpful:

Death_ray_by_CookiemagiK.gif

This is truth and magic. Also it is truth.

KellyAssauer

The Anti-Magdalene
Registered
Reaction score
I resisted using emoticons (smilies) for a long long time - and it got me in trouble. My sense of humor is too dry and satirical. This smiley: :D saves me the huge headache of having to write long disclaimers explaining my sense of humor. There's nothing else (to me) that seems to ruin a (hopefully) sharp & witty comment like a long disclaimer explaining the implied humor...

So, I've found that some smilies can be quite useful,
as well as time savers... ;)

mirandashell

Banned
Reaction score
I must remember to make more use of this: :brit

I got myself in trouble again yesterday.....

me-a-monsteR

Bites upon request
Registered
Reaction score
Also, you can call me syd :) Also, in your signature I thought it said, "Off to lurk in THE head" and I thought you were lurking in the bathroom for a moment. (I am resisting the urge to add :D after this statement)

*glances at signature*
*back up at post*
*back to signature*

omg. That's why people have been making bizarre bathroom comments about my sig.

*blushes* thanks syd. No need to add a smilie. I... uh... got the gist of it.
*chuckles*
*mental note to self think up other sig*

but until then, please, no more bathroom jokes :eek:

Alpha Echo

I should be writing.
Registered
Reaction score
I get what you mean. I use smilies all the time, and I also use a lot of LOL's. It does help set the tone and alleviate worries of seriousness. :D

Lavern08

Sit Down, and Shut Up!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
*Wonders what Miley (Cyrus) has to do with posting @ AW?*

What? :Shrug:

Silver King

Megalops Erectus
Registered
Reaction score
I wasn't sure where to post this so I put it in Office party, though it isn't party material...
Well it sure feels like a party because we're all laughing at you behind your back for starting such a silly thread.

Not really. I'm just teasing you. But you have no way of knowing that unless I explained it or ended my sentence above with something like this: :D Even then, you might question my motives; but the appearance of the smiley, when used honestly, will let most folks know the comment wasn't intended to be taken seriously.

I don't use emoticons that often, but they are helpful in expressing tone when we wish to convey feelings that aren't always apparent in our posts.

Dreity

Registered
Reaction score
I use this :p smiley a lot. Probably too much. I'm a compulsive :p'er. But it's the perfect smiley for me most of the time. It says "I'm friendly but snarky, don't take what I'm saying too seriously or personally". Apparently it's not as nuanced as I think it is though. One time, a new-to-emoticons online friend asked me why I kept sticking my tongue out at him.

Sydneyd

Aye, ye scurvy dog!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I use this :p smiley a lot. Probably too much. I'm a compulsive :p'er. But it's the perfect smiley for me most of the time. It says "I'm friendly but snarky, don't take what I'm saying too seriously or personally". Apparently it's not as nuanced as I think it is though. One time, a new-to-emoticons online friend asked me why I kept sticking my tongue out at him.

Wait, wait, wait you mean to say :p isn't a tongue sticking out? Is this like how colors look different to other people but we don't know and call them the same?

*mind blown*

Dreity

Registered
Reaction score
Wait, wait, wait you mean to say :p isn't a tongue sticking out? Is this like how colors look different to other people but we don't know and call them the same?

*mind blown*

Oh, it is a tongue sticking out. I just don't think the guy knew what it meant when a person used that smiley. Sort of a lesser version of giving a person from the Middle East the thumbs up. :p