Do you read the obituaries?

writerterri

It's a dorky day!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I don't know why but I do. I can't wait either. I count the days until the Sunday paper shows up. I section the paper out from the coupons to what I want to read first to last and throw the rest out. I usually clip the coupons first read the juicy stuff second, columns, which is in the local part of the paper. I love peoples dirt and the advise they get which I usually don't agree with cause it's too proper for me. I think Aunt Linda should kick Uncle Herb to the curb for drooling over the hot mess that lives across the street even if she is 90.

I save the best for last. I usually scan the pictures first. I cringe over the young kids if there are any and people who died young. I usually guess they died of cancer or some tragic accident and find myself staring at them a little longer as if it were me in their place. Then there are the old people who look as if they've been here a long time. I especially love it when the family of a passed loved one puts in a picture of when they were young to what they looked like before they passed. Whoa! Beauty does slide south. I start from the left and read to the right all the way down. If it doesn't state the age when they died I count the age by tens on each finger until I get to 2012 to figure out how old they were when they died. I especially like the long obits. The ones that tell their whole life story. Those are the most interesting. By the time I get to the end of a long one I wished I had known them or had them for a grandpa or grandma. I don't like the short ones with no pictures though. Why bother? It just states their name, dates and when and where you can view their body. But I still finger out their age at time of death anyway. Tonight's was sad, she was only 34.

Sadly, in the end when I've read them all I've gotten some strange fulfillment out of reading the obits and I don't why.

Then I read the Funnies.

6 more days till Sunday...

lorna_w

Hybrid Grump
Registered
Reaction score
I haven't touched a real life newspaper in eight years, I think. But I used to read them, yes. Something that changes as you get older is how you think of age. I'm up to saying, "71? Oh my gosh, they died so young. How tragic!" Check me in a decade and I'll be feeling bad about 90 year olds dying.

I also like reading gossip columns in small town newspapers. My sister used to live in a tiny town and she'd send me a paper once a year or so, full of "Mabel made lemon tarts for her tea party" sorts of line items, which I loved. It made me feel like it was the 1900's not the 2000's.

Archerbird

Nightowl
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Used to, but it got boring after a while. People kept dying.

To be serious though; I used too, but it got a little depressing. I can still remember the last one I read because it was the reason I stopped reading them. It had one line. It said ' I love you'. Nothing else. That just broke my heart.

Lavern08

Sit Down, and Shut Up!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Yes.

7 days a week.
icon11.gif

rhymegirl

It's a New Year!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I don't like the short ones with no pictures though. Why bother? It just states their name, dates and when and where you can view their body.

I can tell you why some of the obits are short. We had to make my mom and dad's obituaries short and not put a picture because (at least here) it's very expensive to place obituaries! I can't recall the exact amount but I do remember I was shocked to find out how much the newspaper was charging to print this info with a picture. (obviously it would cost more for longer obits) Talk about taking advantage of people who are grieving.

Last edited:

Nymtoc

Benefactor Member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I never read obits, unless they are of someone I knew or of someone famous.

There are so many ways to learn about people, many of whom are still alive.

:Shrug:

zahra

Was Zahra; lost profile - REBORN!
Registered
Reaction score
I do. They're mini-stories, after all, aren't they?

Funnily enough, I don't bother with the births, though I like the engagement announcements and weddings, especially in the Daily Telegraph:

'Miss Lucy Retired-Colonel, daughter of Mr John Retired-Colonel and Mrs Penelope Ran-Off-With-a-Stockbroker, to Mr Felix Fulham-Rugger-Bugger, son of Mrs Merry-Widow and the late Mr Fulham-Rugger-Bugger.'

Leah J. Utas

Protecting Teddy with all my might.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Yes. Daily. I got into the habit in the mid-90s. I used to read them occasionally until one day my eyes happened on the "In Memoriam" section. There I saw the mother of someone I'd gone to school with and realized this was a good way to track the changes in life.
I'm glad I do this as one day I discovered the obit for an aunt. No one had told me she'd died. If I hadn't read the obits, I would not have known.
Also, they're a great way to collect names and stories, and to trigger ideas.

Susan Coffin

Tell it like it Is
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.strokingthepen.com
Years ago, a friend told me about her obituary showing up in a Hawaii newspaper, as she used to live there. Apparently someone started a rumor that my friend had died, thus the obituary. My fried thought it was funny and cleared the rumor up. A few years after that, my friend did die.

The moral of the story is to hope you don't see your own obit in the newspaper.

MaryMumsy

the original blond bombshell
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I follow the advice of George Burns. Every day I check the obits. If I don't find my name, I get dressed.

I've lived here almost 40 years, and find someone I knew or a relative of someone I knew fairly often.

MM

Haggis

Evil, undead Chihuahua
Registered
Reaction score
There are good days and there are bad days. A good day is one in which the majority of those who died are older than me. A bad day is one in which a majority were younger. The older I get the more bad days I'm seeing. :(

writerterri

It's a dorky day!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I've never found someone I've known but I do find it strange that some do look familiar to me at times. It's probably my brain putting them in some category of someone they look like that I used to know.

Using them for back stories is great and some of the names are great too. Mrs. Roughds' husband was named Dusty. Classic!

But I often wonder how many times the diseased had a dark past and perhaps could have been a mean person and when they died some of the family felt bad at their passing because of the "potential" of the diseased and wrote only the good things about them. *shruggs* I've witnessed this and to some extent understand why it's done.

For myself I wished someone had told the crowd at my dad's memorial service to not forget to hug his only child on your way out the door, she has a long road ahead of her for what this man did to her. I think I was the Pink Elephant that day in that room.