PDA

View Full Version : Degrassi

Darcie
06-25-2012, 07:22 AM
Does anyone here watch Degrassi? I've watched since it first aired back in 2000 or 2001, and it's an addiction I cannot shake.

Jehhillenberg
06-25-2012, 09:25 AM
Si!

Hardcore Degrassi fan of The Next Generation since it first aired. I miss Noggin and The-N.

katci13
06-25-2012, 11:48 AM
I've been trying to stop watching for about 4 seasons now. Lol! I picked it up in 2005 and caught myself up from there. I still think it's so funny Jimmy is Drake the rapper now.

Celia Cyanide
06-25-2012, 03:52 PM
I am doing the thing I always hate when other people do. Coming into a thread just to say how much I hate the thing they are talking about.

I hate Degrassi. Always have. Degrassi High, Degrassi Jr High, The Kids of Degrassi Street. Since I was a kid. Never understood the appeal.

jaksen
06-25-2012, 04:11 PM
I am in the US and do not know what Degrassi is.

Yes, I am ashamed and I watch most of the 'popular' stuff on TV and cable.

I now go to Google ...

Edit add: I googled. I now recall hearing about it, but even teaching adolescents during the time it ran/is running, and being among younger teachers who were always into everything new, trendy, etc., I never heard them talk about this show.

Is it/was it mostly a Canadian phenomenon?

However I am now so curious I'm gonna watch a few episodes.

DancingMaenid
06-26-2012, 01:08 AM
I've been trying to stop watching for about 4 seasons now. Lol! I picked it up in 2005 and caught myself up from there. I still think it's so funny Jimmy is Drake the rapper now.

I know -- when I first saw him as Drake, I couldn't believe my eyes.

I haven't watched recently, but I used to be really into it and still watch it sporadically. At this point, though, I'd lost track of a lot of the characters and plots.

Krissy Reynolds
06-26-2012, 01:13 AM
I watched it religiously up until all the original cast members were gone--sad, sad day. With the format, they are intentionally keeping it like a soap opera with mini drama events each episode and compared to earlier seasons, they are getting more and more unrealistic--that's saying something.

Bring back Sean, Emma, Manny, Jay, Jimmy, Elllie, etc and I will tuned in. I watched the last movie/episode for them, and was sadly, disappointed by what the writers did with the characters and then didn't touch on them during the actual season. Le sigh.

thebloodfiend
06-26-2012, 01:29 AM
I watched it for a few episodes. I think the last one I saw was Drop the World. Can't say I was impressed. It seemed too soap-opera-ish for my taste. Too melodramatic and too many characters for me to get invested.

KimJo
06-26-2012, 01:42 AM
I watched the originals (Degrassi Junior High and Degrassi High, anyway... I don't know if Kids of Degrassi Street ever aired in the US, but the other two showed up on public broadcasting), and have been watching the Next Generation since 2003, when we moved to a place where we had digital cable.

It is soap-operaish, sometimes to the point of being aggravating, but it's also kind of a guilty pleasure for me. And it's spurred some serious, necessary discussions with my daughters on topics that I might not have been able to figure out how to bring up otherwise.

thebloodfiend
06-26-2012, 01:53 AM
To be completely fair, I do like their inclusion of LGBT characters, even if they are rather heavy handed when bringing their message across. They are more racially diverse than other shows that claim to be (looking at you, Glee), too.

Darcie
06-26-2012, 02:48 AM
I watched it for a few episodes. I think the last one I saw was Drop the World. Can't say I was impressed. It seemed too soap-opera-ish for my taste. Too melodramatic and too many characters for me to get invested.

While it was unrealistic, Drop the world was one of my favourites.

CrastersBabies
06-26-2012, 04:18 AM
It was a dirty, filthy, guilty pleasure for many years, until Emma and Manny grew up and went away. Then I followed Nina Dobrev to Vampire Diaries and kind of lost interest. :)

It was great entertainment, though. If you take your entertainment too seriously, you're gonna hate it. They do tackle issues that I do not see in the US. Penis pumps FTW!

Jehhillenberg
06-27-2012, 12:27 AM
I love[ed] this show because "it went/goes there" and yeah it came off after-school-special, but it was so good in it's prime. I guess it still is. A couple episodes were banned from the U.S. among it's initial airing (or not airing I suppose).

The cast is huge, but they've added on so it's gigantic. It was realistic and I loved most of the characters. This show served as pure inspiration for me with stuff.

I watched it religiously up until all the original cast members were gone--sad, sad day. With the format, they are intentionally keeping it like a soap opera with mini drama events each episode and compared to earlier seasons, they are getting more and more unrealistic--that's saying something.

Bring back Sean, Emma, Manny, Jay, Jimmy, Elllie, etc and I will tuned in. I watched the last movie/episode for them, and was sadly, disappointed by what the writers did with the characters and then didn't touch on them during the actual season. Le sigh.

I shipped Semma (Sean and Emma) -- loved me some Sean too! I definitely shipped Cranny (Craig and Manny). Jiberty (JT and Liberty). I miss Marco too! LOVED Marco, he practically got along with everyone. I didn't really care for Ellie or Terri -- though I hated Rick for what he did to her. I actually liked Jimmy and Ashley together when she came back to the show.

We get to say we knew Jimmy (Aubrey Drake Graham) before he became DRAKE. They were referencing this stuff throughout and especially his last season on the show.

fredXgeorge
07-20-2012, 04:51 PM
I watched it for years but then they stopped showing it and I didn't see any more. I had the first two seasons on dvd until they got stolen :( Did anyone else have a crush on Craig? I was, like, in love with him.

comped
07-20-2012, 11:33 PM
Haha! i thought I was the only one to watch this in the US.

I used to watch it all the time, (one of the only things my parents would let me watch when I was young), until I moved to the US. My parents had my uncle bootleg some episodes until we found that nick carried it. :)

Wish they'd show the HS/MS/TNG epis (by TNG I mean the early ones, but especially "Time Stands Still" (the school shooting episode)....Should have won an Emmy (c) for that two-part episode...

comped

heatherleacubs
07-20-2012, 11:37 PM
I watched the "old school" Degrassi (from "Kids" to Degrassi High) when I was in elementary and junior high. I did watch TNG for a few years until they broke up Joey and Caitlin. That was unforgiveable. (Boo, Kevin Smith!) it's gotten too slick for me - the old series was much less Hollywood and that was part of its appeal to me.

Jehhillenberg
07-21-2012, 01:47 AM
I watched it for years but then they stopped showing it and I didn't see any more. I had the first two seasons on dvd until they got stolen :( Did anyone else have a crush on Craig? I was, like, in love with him.

Oh hell frikin yeah I loved Craig -- definitely [among] my fave. That brooding musician with issues, how could you not? Hahaha <3 Craig Manning.