• Read this stickie before posting.

• In order to reduce the number of new members requesting a Beta reader before they're really ready for one, we've instituted a 50 post requirement before you can start a thread seeking a Beta reader.
    • You can still volunteer to Beta for someone else; just please don't request someone to Beta for you until you're more familiar with the community and our members.

Seeking beta for YA Dark Contemporary

Status
Not open for further replies.

nicolemarie

Lost in my own world
Registered
Reaction score
I'm looking for a couple of betas to read through my YA Dark Contemporary (58k words) and give overall impressions. Mainly, I'm looking for someone to give me their thoughts about character development, overall pace/flow, believability, and an honest opinion about the ending. To give a rough time frame, I'm hoping to start querying by the end of the summer. I am willing to beta in return, but I'm currently doing some crit work for my CP's and cannot promise a fast turnaround.

Disclaimer: This is not for the faint of heart. There is heavy drug use, including IV adminstration, cutting, swearing of all kinds, sex scenes, a gory car accident scene, and a gory hallucination scene.

Here is the query:

Sixteen-year-old Dylan Halstrom will do anything to stay numb; she snorts Oxycontin, cuts her thighs, and settles for the boyfriend she’ll never love. Nothing keeps the deaths of her older sister and dad out of her mind. When her dealer, Matt, introduces her to heroin, she’s instantly hooked.

As her addiction rages, she becomes aware of her feelings for Matt, and she can no longer bury the intimacy she craves with him. He’s the only one who doesn’t try to fix her and he doesn’t judge her, even after he sees the cuts on her leg. Soon she finds the casual sex she used to trade for drugs has turned into something more for both of them.

When Dylan hallucinates during a bad trip and her baby sister winds up on life support as a result of her negligence, her addiction spirals further out of control and she abandons all her rituals and safety precautions. Now, Dylan must decide if she’s strong enough to quit heroin and face the emotional crap she’s avoided for three years. Because if she’s not, the heroin will consume her, and she’ll end up just like the family she loved--dead.

Let me know by pm or a reply on here if you are interested and thanks for checking it out!

Unimportant

No COVID yet. Still masking.
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
This sounds like a very compelling book, but I reckon I'm a bit too faint-hearted to do it justice as a beta reader :(

nicolemarie

Lost in my own world
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks for checking it out anyway, Unimportant :)

I'm still looking for one or two betas if anyone is interested!

DahlELama

Registered
Reaction score
If you're OK with a more general beta read and don't need an in-line crit, I'm happy to do it! If that's cool with you, PM me.

SaronaNalia

Registered
Reaction score
It seems you have a lot of interest already. But if you still need someone, this sounds like something I'd like to read.

Status
Not open for further replies.