• Basic Writing questions is not a crit forum. All crits belong in Share Your Work

Writing a story for someone else

Status
Not open for further replies.

totopink

Registered
Reaction score
I have a director friend who has come up with a rather brilliant plot line for a MG book. He has sent out queries for it and a succession of agents have been interested, but after reading the manuscript they have all lost interest, the reason being he is just not a good writer.

So, his next step was to ask me to write it. I offered to write it with him, his words and my edits, but he insisted he just wanted to hand over the whole task to me. He has given me a detailed synopsis, all the characters and the plot will be completely of his own creation, but I am the one doing the writing.

Now, I have absolutely NO idea of how to go about querying this. Will it go under my name, his name or both of our names? If the agent were to sign the story would they sign me or him, or both of us? I have no interest in writing it and taking all the credit- it's his brain child after all - but I'm just not sure what the process is.

Does anyone know how the process of dual-writing works or how I should go about querying?

Bufty

Where have the last ten years gone?
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I would think the first thing to do would be to get a written agreement between you so you each know exactly where you stand, regardless of who is credited as the author.

This issue has been raised before but I can't recall where.

There is Freelance Forum that may touch on this but I'm sure someone else will pop by who can point you in the right direction re this issue. Uncle Jim writes with another.

Ghostwriting (for your pal) would usually involve a fixed fee.

But doing the writing together is a whole different ball game.

Last edited:

Old Hack

Such a nasty woman
Super Moderator
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
As Bufty said, you're ghostwriting for him. You need a contract which spells out exactly who gets paid what and by who, who owns the rights to the completed works, whose name goes on the cover if it gets published, who gets to drive the submissions, and so on. This is not a small undertaking but you really must be careful to cover all points.

If you don't have a contract yet then you could try writing a synopsis and the first few chapters and seeing if you can find a publisher with that--but unless one of you is well-known you're unlikely to sell it until it's finished (and even then you'll probably struggle).

dangerousbill

Retired Illuminatus
Registered
Reaction score
I would think the first thing to do would be to get a written agreement between you so you each know exactly where you stand, regardless of who is credited as the author.

Absolutely. It's almost certain, at the end of the job, that he'll claim most of the gravy for coming up with the idea, and you'll claim credit for having done that actual sweat work of writing. People are like that.

This is a variation on a situation moderately common to writers. "Hey, you're a writer. I've got this great idea for a story. If I tell you the idea, you can write the novel and I'll cut you in for ten percent."

AbielleRose

Crazy Cat Lady
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
stainedglassinthenight.wordpress.com

This issue has been raised before but I can't recall where.

There is Freelance Forum that may touch on this but I'm sure someone else will pop by who can point you in the right direction re this issue. Uncle Jim writes with another.

Ghostwriting (for your pal) would usually involve a fixed fee.

But doing the writing together is a whole different ball game.

I vaguely remember a thread a few months ago but I'm pretty sure that was about a comic book with one person writing and the other person doing the art work (the art was going to come first and then the person's question was about their rights writing the story according to the pictures the other person had drawn... I think...)

They've all said it above already. :) Hope it works out for you two, just be sure to get a good contract down and don't leave any loopholes for him to come back and sue you later on. Business, even between friends, can turn into a nightmare sometimes. Best to prepare.

rwm4768

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
Maybe you could do it as co-authors. Just make sure he puts in a fair amount of work too, even if it involves things as simple as having him write detailed notes on plot and character.

Susan Coffin

Tell it like it Is
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.strokingthepen.com
Wait a minute. Did these agents tell him he's not a good writer? Did they give him reasons for rejections? Or, did he get those rejections and conclude he's not a good writer? Maybe someone told him they don't think he's a good writer. Just curious. :)

Just because he's been rejected does not mean he's a poor writer. It could mean the story is not ready due to editing issues. Maybe some agents changed their mind, or it sounded too much like another story on their list. There really could be any number of reasons.

I'm curious as to why he's so quick to hand off his project off for ghostwriting. Just because it's ghostwritten does not mean it will sell any better.

That said, if you do choose to ghostwrite for him, make sure the terms are clear and in written form. :)

Last edited:

jjdebenedictis

is watching you via her avatar
Registered
Reaction score
You might want to point out to your friend that if you do all the writing, legally you can take all the royalties. Ideas are not copyrightable. (The situation is a little less cut and dried in the movie industry, which might be why he's not worried about just handing the idea over to someone else. He doesn't realize he's inviting them to cut him out of the equation, financially.)

You're obviously not an idea poacher, so your friend is in good hands, but definitely get a contract in place in case the relationship goes south (which sadly can happen when money is involved.)

Bufty

Where have the last ten years gone?
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
On the other hand, you may not want to.

You might want to point out to your friend that if you do all the writing, legally you can take all the royalties. Ideas are not copyrightable. (The situation is a little less cut and dried in the movie industry, which might be why he's not worried about just handing the idea over to someone else. He doesn't realize he's inviting them to cut him out of the equation, financially.)

You're obviously not an idea poacher, so your friend is in good hands, but definitely get a contract in place in case the relationship goes south (which sadly can happen when money is involved.)

Miss Plum

Sockpuppet
Banned
Reaction score
You can explain the authorship issues to an agent, should one take on the project, and the agent can draw up an agreement that will divvy the proceeds. That's what an agent did for me and a collaborator.

Old Hack

Such a nasty woman
Super Moderator
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
That should be done before the book is written, though, as the writer and the idea-holder have to agree on how everything will be shared before the work is done otherwise one of them is almost bound to be disappointed.

dawinsor

Dorothy A. Winsor
VPXI
Registered
Reaction score
This situation would make me run a mile. First, it raises my writer's hackles. Ideas are a dime a dozen. I can spin out ten in the next 60 seconds, but any of them would take me a year or so to write and revise. Until it's written, an idea is vapor fic. If you manage to sell it, what division of credit and money should result?

Beyond that, Susan asks some very good questions. Have you seen what the agents say? What he reports sounds almost like a form rejections: "lively premise but not quite right for me."

Little Ming

Registered
Reaction score
You might also want to consider doing this as a work for hire. I love my friends, but I would never go into the writing business with them, especially since they think the "idea" is the hard part.

But if you do decide to retain some rights to this project you need to have a contract signed up front.

Status
Not open for further replies.