i'd like some advice

pyrael

Registered
Reaction score
I'm on my cell at the moment, so I'm not able to post links etc. But I have one big conscern. I just recently finished the 1st draft of my novel. Its been 6 years in the making. It has quite a bit of pagan influence, however most readers - non pagan- would probably call it fantasy fiction. It tells similar to the way Dan Millman's "way of the peaceful Warrior" is written, and includes lessond buried in the story, well not so buried - they are obvious - but hopefully entertaining.

I was thinking of submitting it to Llewellyn, but I'm unsure what category! I have posted the prologue and first chapter in SYW, I believe under other. My problem is that #1, it pagan, no doubt there. #2, its post apocalyptic-ish, but its not science fiction, has little to do with the usual techno stuff, no robots, actually the characters are very "Medieval-esque". The time is set "20 years after the last great war". And takes place in an area of the north east US that "old maps we found call the catskills" it has some "percievably" dirty stuff in it. No direct or implied sex, just a long passionate kiss or two. It has undescribed nudity, "skyclad" and he gets an erection, and explains how she was able to calm him down with a "touch". So I, as a parent, might not want it to be a YA novel, although in my own pagan home, its no big deal!

So I'd like input on where to "shop" this thing, and what category to call it.

Thanks in advance
Steve

Foinah

Smoking Monkey Smart Arse
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.foinahjameson.com
I'll take a look tomorrow and give you my read on it.

I'd also recommend critiquing some other writers' material in the SYW area. It helps contribute to the forum, it's the old give-and-get formula ( ;) ) that is an essential part of SYW, and it also hones your own writing chops.

Plus I've added your story link in the stickied thread here in the pagan forum for SYW.
Cheers.

Last edited:

Diana_Rajchel

Writing from my Seaside Palace
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
blog.dianarajchel.com
Llewellyn does do fiction, but they don't really do sci-fi fantasy under any of their imprints. You might want to look through Amazon for books with a Paganesque influence (oh, they're out there - look at Mercedes Lackey and Yasmine Galenorn, just to start.) Scroll down and look at what companies published those books, and find their websites for writer guidelines.

WildScribe

Slave to the Wordcount
Poetry Book Collaborator
Registered
Reaction score
Check out Dies the Fire. Basically post-apocalypic world, following a pagan group that starts a self-sustaining commune. It sounds very similar to what you've got going.