What sort of environments are in Spain?

Lidiya

Skimming galaxies
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.themacaw.wordpress.com
I'm writing an adventure book that takes place in a Spanish speaking country (might as well make it Spain), and the main character has to find a certain object.

Since he needs some environment to roam around and cause havoc, what sort of them are there? Like deserts, forests etc. Abandoned castles?

Should I maybe make it take place in another country, like Peru or Colombia?
Thanks.

Lidiya

Skimming galaxies
Registered
Reaction score
Website

mirandashell

Banned
Reaction score
You also need to do some serious research on the fact that Spanish-speaking countries are not all the same. They each have a different economy, ecology and history.

Siri Kirpal

Swan in Process
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Sat Nam! (literally "Truth Name"--a Sikh greeting)

And where you set it matters too. Chile for instance has some of the driest, some of the wettest, some of the hottest and some of the coldest places on earth.

Blessings,

Siri Kirpal

thothguard51

A Gentleman of a refined age...
Registered
Reaction score
What time frame are you planning?

Also, please know this, if you plan on setting your story in a known country and you have not researched the culture, geography, or history, it will show in your work...

Peru has a far different culture than Spain and I know from experience that you never compare a Spaniard with a Central or South American. They are insulted...

Research, research, research...

mirandashell

Banned
Reaction score
Canarians don't much like being compared to the Spanish either. And they're a lot closer.

blacbird

Registered
Reaction score
I think you'd have more fictional fun cavorting about South America. Bigger, with vast contrasts in environments among Argentina, Chile, Peru, Bolivia, Ecuador, Colombia, Venezuela. Some places are mysterious and unique, like the tepuis of Venezuela or the Altiplano of the high Andes, or the otherworldly glacial mountain spires of southern Chile (google Cerro Torre for a look at one).

caw

Lidiya

Skimming galaxies
Registered
Reaction score
Website
I think you'd have more fictional fun cavorting about South America. Bigger, with vast contrasts in environments among Argentina, Chile, Peru, Bolivia, Ecuador, Colombia, Venezuela. Some places are mysterious and unique, like the tepuis of Venezuela or the Altiplano of the high Andes, or the otherworldly glacial mountain spires of southern Chile (google Cerro Torre for a look at one).

caw

Yeah, I'm starting to think about using SA now. I have a lot of research to do, but that's fun so :D

Lidiya

Skimming galaxies
Registered
Reaction score
Website
What time frame are you planning?

Also, please know this, if you plan on setting your story in a known country and you have not researched the culture, geography, or history, it will show in your work...

Peru has a far different culture than Spain and I know from experience that you never compare a Spaniard with a Central or South American. They are insulted...

Research, research, research...

Present day. I'd better get to Wikipedia before I annoy a dangerous Spaniard.

JMC2009

Your friendly neighborhood Chat Op
Registered
Reaction score
Do you speak any Spanish? Do you know anyone from the area you're looking at having it set in? Online and book research is good, but there's nothing like
primary interviews with questions specific to your story to really add that extra layer of authenticity. I spent 8 years studying Spain and Spanish "culture" just to learn by talking to a good friend of mine (a spaniard) that a lot of what I thought I knew was so specific to one part of the country or was no longer applicable.