• Read this stickie before posting.

• In order to reduce the number of new members requesting a Beta reader before they're really ready for one, we've instituted a 50 post requirement before you can start a thread seeking a Beta reader.
    • You can still volunteer to Beta for someone else; just please don't request someone to Beta for you until you're more familiar with the community and our members.

Looking for readers - Sherlock Holmes YA novel

Status
Not open for further replies.

AllieKat

just a writer, unbranded
Registered
Reaction score
Website
thewritinglifeforme.blogspot.com
I'm trying to motivate myself to get back to working on my Sherlock Holmes novel this summer. I've let it sit unfinished for a shockingly long time.

I wondered if anyone would be interested in reading it slowly, a chapter at a time? I think that would help motivate me.

I think it's young adult fiction. It's about a young woman Holmes agrees to train as his apprentice.

AlwaysJuly

slugging through
Registered
Reaction score
Website
thisisnotnotmydayjob.blogspot.com
What kind of feedback are you looking for? I'd be happy to read the first chapter and see if I'm a good reader for you. The premise sounds like a lot of fun and just the sort of thing I'd love to read!

AllieKat

just a writer, unbranded
Registered
Reaction score
Website
That would be great. Thank you! :)

Right now I'm looking for cheerleading and reader reaction, not a strong critique or betaing.

I need to get excited about this story again and access my creative side to write it. I'm looking for encouragement and motivation, if possible.

You don't have to pretend you like it if you don't, of course, but basically I'm not looking for a deep beta right now. :)

Richard White

Stealthy Plot Bunny Peddler
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.richardcwhite.com
Holmes is an interesting conundrum.

Sherlock Holmes, as written by Doyle, is in public domain. However, the author is going to have to hold themselves to basing their stories strictly on that. Anything that comes from the movies (either the Basil Rathbone or Robert Downey, Jr. versions) -- that can be specific scenes, phrases or events -- that are not found in the original stories almost is guaranteed to be under copyright by the respective film studios.

AllieKat

just a writer, unbranded
Registered
Reaction score
Website
Holmes is an interesting conundrum.

Sherlock Holmes, as written by Doyle, is in public domain. However, the author is going to have to hold themselves to basing their stories strictly on that. Anything that comes from the movies (either the Basil Rathbone or Robert Downey, Jr. versions) -- that can be specific scenes, phrases or events -- that are not found in the original stories almost is guaranteed to be under copyright by the respective film studios.

Thank you for the information! :) No worries there.

However it looks like my manuscript might be in worse shape than I thought. I might have to do some serious re-writing before I can even finish this story... which means more shelf time till I can get the time to work on it properly (and, I hope, some motivation).

Richard White

Stealthy Plot Bunny Peddler
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.richardcwhite.com
AllieKat,

Sorry to hear the story needs retooling, but I'm glad to hear you did your homework up front. As someone who does media tie-in work, it was always frustrating when I went to do a story only to find out that the publisher had licensed the rights to use A, B and C characters but didn't think it was important to get the license for D or E and I really wanted to use them in the story. *aarrgghh!*

Especially, when it was a team-up story. Had to artfully write to explain why D wasn't there without using their name.

Status
Not open for further replies.