Opera Rehearsals

Orianna2000

Freelance Writer
Registered
Reaction score
I have it now that the MC rehearses for an upcoming opera in the morning, then has private lessons in the afternoon and evening. But, then I read a novel that said one vocal coach gave his lessons in the early morning because the Opera would be deserted then. So I'm wondering if there's a common schedule for opera rehearsals. Is it out of the question that they would rehearse in the morning?

If it makes a difference, the story is set in Paris, 1881.

frimble3

Heckuva good sport
Registered
Reaction score
Just guessing:
Well, they probably wouldn't be rehearsing in the morning when the opera is actually in production (because they're performing at night), so I imagine the schedule would change, depending on what's scheduled.
And, if the performances are at night, I can't imagine that lessons early in the morning would be very productive.

Try googling 'opera rehearsal schedule' there are links to various operas' rehearsal schedules, and general information.

Last edited:

Siri Kirpal

Swan in Process
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Sat Nam! (Literally "Truth Name"--a Sikh greeting)

It's been awhile since I trained for opera, but here goes: Typically, a large opera house has several productions going on during any given week. Rehearsals may start in late morning or in the afternoon. Singers do sometimes meet their coaches in the morning. I recall my coach telling me of how she always forgave students who missed appointments because they slept in. But I'm guessing a big time opera singer will meet with their coaches on the days they aren't singing.

Blessings,

Siri Kirpal

Siri Kirpal

Swan in Process
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Sat Nam! (Literally "Truth Name"--a Sikh greeting)

Just remembered: That date does make a difference if your character is a star. The opera stars often attended only the dress rehearsal. Acting was minimal then (I once read an autobiography of Madame Tetrazzini, who expressed distain that one soprano actually kneeled to sing a prayer!), and the big stars usually provided their own costumes.

Blessings,

Siri Kirpal

Orianna2000

Freelance Writer
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks for the replies! A few more questions. . . .

How common was it for stars to provide their own costumes and when did it change to having the wardrobe department provide costumes? In my novel, a group of seamstresses runs around fitting everyone for their costumes, and when the show starts, a wardrobe attendant makes sure the MC has her costume. I rather like the scene with the wardrobe attendant, so I'm wondering how much of a stretch it would be for the Opera to provide the costumes for the leads. Could it be a newfangled idea they're trying out?

How many days a week would a opera singer typically perform? One who plays secondary parts, not the leads.

Is it unreasonable to depict an opera being produced in three weeks? I know I researched that when I first wrote it, but now I can't find where I pulled that number from. What I'm finding suggests that rehearsals take a bit longer than that, maybe 6-8 weeks. That throws off the timeline of my whole novel, so I'm wondering, can it be done in three stressful, chaotic, nerve-wracking weeks? Or is that too much pressure for the actors/singers, musicians, etc.?

Siri Kirpal

Swan in Process
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Sat Nam! (literally "Truth Name"--a Sikh greeting)

If your MC is NOT a BIG star, then it would be fine to have the opera seamstresses sew the costume. However, Madame Tetrazzini mentions providing her own costumes, and Amelita Galli-Curci had a huge costume closet in her country house; both of these top stars ended their careers in the mid-1930s. The opera house would provide costumes to chorus members and comprimario singers. (see below for definition)

A top star might attend all rehearsals if the opera is new.

If the opera is brand new, 3 weeks of rehearsals is probably going to end in fiasco. But it could be done technically. If the opera is one everyone in the production has done before, 3 weeks is plenty.

As far as how often a comprimario singer (supporting, small part soloist) would perform: depends on the house, how many productions they've got going, etc. Big stars often only sing one or two nights per week, except at festivals. But it was much more than that in the 19th C, not sure how much. Understudies and comprimario singers need to be available more than that. Unfortunately, the bios and autobios I've read don't talk much about them. I do know the chorus gets one night a week off.

Blessings,

Siri Kirpal

Siri Kirpal

Swan in Process
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Sat Nam! (literally "Truth Name"--a Sikh greeting)

Further reading:
Fortissimo by William Murray gives a good depiction of modern practices.
5000 Nights at the Opera by Sir Rudolf Bing shows the changes from old-school to modern practices.

Blessings,

Siri Kirpal

Orianna2000

Freelance Writer
Registered
Reaction score
I'll see if I can stretch my timeline a little, give them an extra week or two for rehearsals, since it's a new production and one that's known for being difficult.

The MC is a comprimario who's just been discovered, but she's still a relative unknown, so they're reluctant to give her bigger roles at this point. However she is playing the lead in this one new opera, and she played the lead in one other opera, previously, when the soprano didn't show up. I'll mention something about how she would normally have to provide her own costumes, but because the management still views her as a second-rate singer, they're permitting the wardrobe mistress to make her costumes for the opera. Either that, or I'll change the scene around so that she does provide her own costumes.

Thanks!

Siri Kirpal

Swan in Process
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Sat Nam! (Literally "Truth Name"-- a Sikh greeting)

In that case, she wouldn't be expected to provide her own costumes. So it won't be an issue.

And yes, a brand new difficult opera will require more than 3 weeks rehearsal if you're expecting something other than catcalls at the end.

Blessings,

Siri Kirpal

Orianna2000

Freelance Writer
Registered
Reaction score
Okay, I changed the rehearsal time to five weeks, and made it clear that it's rushed and chaotic. That should be a bit more realistic. Haven't got to the costume scene, but I'll figure that out when I get there.

Thanks again. :)