Religious tolerance: a hypothesis

Status
Not open for further replies.

reph

Fig of authority
Registered
Reaction score
Warning, disclaimer, and introduction: If you're easily offended when someone questions your beliefs, this is not the thread for you.

An idea occurred to me today, and I'm starting a new thread for it because talking about religion in the Please Pray for Our Miners thread irritates people and gets me in trouble.

In that thread, I felt there was an atmosphere in which people who disagreed with the idea that prayer works were unwelcome, as if discussion of the tragic events at the mine were inextricably tied to a particular religious opinion. Here are some of my opinions: I don't believe prayer works in the sense of making something happen outside oneself or even raising the likelihood that something will happen. I don't believe one can send good thoughts to another; one can think good thoughts, but they won't be delivered. I believe that people who claim certainty about God's values, attitudes, priorities, and behavior are overconfident.

I've observed that a social norm makes it acceptable to say "Prayers are answered" in public and makes it unacceptable to say "Prayers aren't answered." I find this unequal treatment unfair.

This is the hypothesis I'm wondering about: Maybe the degree to which you expect others to share your beliefs depends on where you grew up. I was raised in an ethnically and religiously diverse town. I now live in a city that's also diverse. In my home town, it was understood that you didn't know a person's religious affiliation until the person revealed it. A stranger might be Roman Catholic, Methodist, Mennonite, Jewish, Nazarene, Presbyterian, Armenian Apostolic, Baptist, Greek Orthodox, Church of Christ, A.M.E. Zion, Episcopal, Church of God, Seventh-day Adventist (and I'm sure I'm leaving out some), or unaffiliated. You couldn't assert your own particular beliefs in a group and assume that others would accept them as you did. It simply wasn't done. It was bad manners.

On the Web, however, some people state their beliefs as if explaining an objective, noncontroversial principle of mathematics, even though the audience is similarly mixed. I can only speculate that people who do this must live in a community where asserting religious beliefs as truths is accepted because everyone goes to the same church. Perhaps there are a few dissenters, but they've learned to keep quiet.

Am I right or wrong? Not about whether prayer works, but about whether people who assert their beliefs publicly, without fear of contradiction, come from religiously homogeneous communities.

JennaGlatzer

wishes you happiness
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jennaglatzer.com
reph said:
I've observed that a social norm makes it acceptable to say "Prayers are answered" in public and makes it unacceptable to say "Prayers aren't answered." I find this unequal treatment unfair.

Hmm. I'm not sure that we read things the same. What I read was a thread full of people saying different things, but in the same spirit:

Some people said they're sending prayers. Others said they were sending "good thoughts" or "vibes," three people said "my heart is with them" or "my heart goes out to them," etc. So I don't think there was this homogeneous focus you perceived. (I know for certain there's at least one atheist in that group.)

But I do agree that most people expressed an idea of "sending thoughts," which I know you think doesn't work. Some people may have been saying it literally, others were speaking figuratively ("sending thoughts" as a metaphor for feeling sympathy).

I think the backlash you're seeing is because of the time/place you raised your objection-- clearly, no one meant any harm by asking for prayers and good wishes. They're just expressing grief and sympathy, and asking for others to think about or pray for the families and the survivor. While prayers may not help, they certainly won't hurt, right? So jumping in to say, "You're wrong. That won't do any good" feels (to some) like you're trying to take away the one thing they can do in this helpless situation.

As far as equal treatment, I think you would have received it if you had approached the subject "equally." That is, up to that point, most people had just been saying, "I'm sending my prayers/thoughts/good wishes," etc. I think if you had said, "I'm not 'sending' anything because that's not my belief, but I have deep sympathy for the families," or something like that, that would have been accepted just fine. No one jumped on the people who said "My heart is with them" and said, "No! You must offer prayers!"

On the Web, however, some people state their beliefs as if explaining an objective, noncontroversial principle of mathematics, even though the audience is similarly mixed.

Can you show me where you mean? I don't see people there stating "facts" as if there are no other acceptable answers. I see people saying "I believe..." and stating their experiences. (And the latter is usually only after you had jumped in to ask why people would believe in prayer after it didn't "work.")

Am I right or wrong? Not about whether prayer works, but about whether people who assert their beliefs publicly, without fear of contradiction, come from religiously homogeneous communities.

Well, I have no fear of contradiction about anything in general... that is, I'm not afraid to express my beliefs on any particular subject, and you and everyone else are free to contradict me-- I won't always be happy for people to contradict me, but I'm not afraid of it. But neither do I feel that I'm asserting my "controversial" beliefs (religion, politics, abortion, the serial comma) in a way that doesn't allow for others to have different beliefs. (Okay, except the serial comma. You nonbelievers are nuts.)

Part of that may be that my religious convictions are wobbly. I believe in God and I believe in prayer (though not as a 'wish-granting' function), and that's about all I know for sure. My friends who have stronger convictions talk about them more as facts, but (usually) they also allow others to talk about their beliefs as facts. They can be contradictory, and both can accept that the other believes different things to be facts.

Given that, my background: My immediate family of 5 members is of 3 different religions. My extended family is a cornucopia of religions: Catholic, Jewish, Episcopal, Born-Again Christian, atheist, agnostic, Baptist, etc. My friends throughout my life have been a similarly odd mix-- notably, two of my best friends became Christian preachers, while in the same close-knit circle as atheists, Wiccans, Jews, etc. My college friends were as ethnically diverse as Gap ads, though my home community was heavily Caucasian. We had some pretty heavy religious talks. They mostly ended without bloodshed, though religion was at the heart of one broken friendship.

If you remind me later, I'll tell you about the telepathic stuff and you can tell me why I'm wrong. ;)

Last edited:

mdin

The late, the great XThe NavigatorX
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.mattdinniman.com
reph said:
whether people who assert their beliefs publicly, without fear of contradiction, come from religiously homogeneous communities.

I think this is a really interesting question. Many Christians live in such Christian-dominated communities, it comes as a shock to them to learn people who look just like them don't believe the same thing. It's a you're-with-us-or-you're-a-freakin'-Satan-worshipper state of mind. And *some* Christian faiths demand that attitude of their flock.

I think in larger communities with a larger demographic, like NYC or London or Vancouver, that attitude is much more relaxed, even amongst those who would consider themselves fundamentalists.

I recently told a relative I'm not a Christian, and I couldn't believe how surprised she was. I swear, she looked at me like I had stabbed her.

MacAllister

'Twas but a dream of thee
Staff member
Boss Mare
Administrator
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
VPX
Registered
Reaction score
Website
macallisterstone.com
I was raised in a fundamentalist Christian family and church.

That said, I don't consider myself a Christian, at this point in my life. :) I'm at a loss for words when people ask me, "Well, what are you, then?" I don't really have an answer for that question, any more than I do for your questions, Reph.

I think the idea that we have to fit into neat little slots is a big part of the problem--people tend to want things to be definable--"it is or it isn't"--when sometimes, there are mysteries. More confounding, sometimes there is paradox.

Certainly, I think when people belong to a community they value, a community in which they find comfort and security, there's a tendency to project their own values and beliefs onto other members of the community--at least until the folly of doing so has been demonstrated.

reph

Fig of authority
Registered
Reaction score
JennaGlatzer said:
I think the backlash you're seeing is because of the time/place you raised your objection-- clearly, no one meant any harm.... While prayers may not help, they certainly won't hurt, right? So jumping in to say, "You're wrong. That won't do any good" feels (to some) like you're trying to take away the one thing they can do in this helpless situation.
I didn't say "You're wrong." Even Miss Uncongeniality here knows better than to use that sequence of words. This is a very minor point, because I know you were paraphrasing.

I was trying to promote realism. When something terrible happens, people feel bad. They feel better if they can do something. In this situation (going by my beliefs, as others go by theirs), people outside the local area couldn't do anything. It bothers me when people give themselves credit for helping in that circumstance. I think it's better (more realistic, more mature) to recognize when you're helpless. We've all heard it: "God grant me the wisdom...to know the difference."

Can you show me where you mean? I don't see people there stating "facts" as if there are no other acceptable answers. I see people saying "I believe..." and stating their experiences.
To point to examples would mean identifying individuals. That would be unkind and would stir up more trouble. I don't want to target anybody. There are enough places in that thread where people thought I was targeting them. I saw posts to the effect of "God operates this way" and "This is what God did," stated with certainty.

Well, I have no fear of contradiction about anything... But neither do I feel that I'm asserting my "controversial" beliefs...in a way that doesn't allow for others to have different beliefs....
I can always have different beliefs. In the Miners thread, I was made to feel I ought not to express them.

If you state a belief as a fact, someone with a different view has to contradict you in order to express it. If you state a belief as a belief, you leave room for the other person to express his or her belief without contradicting you.

Another thing: I think some people there are misdirecting their anger, and not only in my direction.

I appreciate your having replied.

---------------------

Wow, two more replies appeared while I was answering Jenna. I appreciate you guys, too.

Last edited:

JennaGlatzer

wishes you happiness
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jennaglatzer.com
reph said:
It bothers me when people give themselves credit for helping in that circumstance. I think it's better (more realistic, more mature) to recognize when you're helpless.

I'm getting sleepy, so I'll just respond to this part for now.

Take Elisa's example of knowing that people were praying for her, and that idea giving her comfort. While it's possible that God actually allowed her to "feel" the prayers from others, or it's possible that she telepathically felt them, let's go with the simplest and most scientific reason and say that she just believed people were praying because she knows that's what people usually do in such a circumstance.

That thought comforted her. If people in general stopped praying in situations like these, then Elisa would have had no reason to believe people were praying for her, and she wouldn't have had that comfort. So, again, maybe it wasn't even those specific people who were praying at that specific time who deserve "credit" for helping, but the custom of prayer in general gave her some kind of light in the darkness, even though she's not a religious person. She just knew that strangers around the world were pulling for her.

I guess, to me, praying is a way of saying, "I care, and I'm going to put aside my own thoughts and concerns and work and play for a while and concentrate on wishing you well." No matter its ultimate effect, I would appreciate knowing that people cared enough about me to do that. Whenever people have told me that they prayed for me, I'm touched. And some people don't have to tell me-- I just know they do it. Particularly that one broken friendship from more than a decade ago.

Anyway, the second part of that statement imposes a value judgment on others-- "more realistic, more mature" implies that you think the converse of people who pray. That comes through in what you post, and that's what I meant about replying "equally." No one up to that point was saying "people who don't believe in prayer are bad/wrong/immature/etc." So it comes across that you're not asking for a simple equality of views, but that one view is deemed rational and mature while the other isn't.

Misdirecting anger-- yeah, that can happen. I remember it happening right after 9/11 to me. On the day of the tragedy, while I was still searching for lost friends, a Canadian member of my screenwriting group was already playing the blame game and talking about how this was all Bush's fault and US policy is lousy and whatever-- and I think if it were possible for me to reach through the computer and yank his ears off, I would have. It kind of felt like, "My friends might be dead and you're debating politics?!" I wasn't really angry with him, of course, but just his timing. The day was just way too raw for anything other than support and friendship. In fact, the whole week was. Other people may have had the objectivity or detachment to be able to debate things, but I actually had friends and neighbors in those buildings, and my dad's friends on the rescue teams flying over the roofs and watching people burn alive and not being able to do anything about it because they couldn't get close enough. That was not the time to challenge my political views (unless you enjoyed watching my head explode ;) ).

Moondancer

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jc-hosting.net
The reason I thought the timing and delivery of the question were off was the very title of the thread set the tone and focus: "Please Pray for Our Miners". I still find the question quite valid and am glad you started a thread with it.

Belief systems, in my mind, are as individual as individuals. Like Mac, I don't consider myself anything. Of course, I have beliefs but tend to follow my own "road".

If people believe in the power of prayer then it works. It's as simple as that statement yet so complex and individual a process. We'll try to explain and rationalize it but, considering the individuality of it, it will never be explained except in the broadest terms.

I try to respect others' belief systems in as much as I'm able since I'll never know them fully. I wish people would accord me the same respect. Some belief systems deny that others' belief systems should be respected... hence we have wars and debates and politics and laws and so on into such a confusing mess it eventually leads to the proverbial question: "Why can't we all just get along?"

I love my family dearly but their belief systems are not mine. I cringe every time I think about the times my brothers or sisters try to convince me to go to church with them when I'm visiting. The attitude they project is that I'm going to go to hell and they must save me because they love me. Not once do they ask if I believe in anything or what I believe. They know only that I don't believe the way they do and therefore "lost."

pconsidine

Too Adorkable for Words
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.pjcopy.com
I have noticed a similar vibe to what you described now and then around the boards. But if I were to be honest, I'd have to admit that it's probably more on my side than anyone else's. After all, I am extremely sensitive to being "converted" and will perceive that intention even in situations where it's completely not there. Evangelists of any kind just rub me the wrong way, but that's my problem not theirs.

On the topic of your thesis, though, I'd have to say I'm not really sure. I was raised by two devout Catholics in a town that was predominantly Christian (though pretty evenly divided between Catholics and Presbyterians). And while the town itself was fairly racially homogeneous, there were several much more diverse towns nearby. In any case, my siblings and I all turned out to be extraordinarily tolerant on matters of diversity, religion included.

If I had to give a reason for that, I would say that it's more due to my parents' attitudes than anything. They're both very intelligent and always encouraged us to look for our own answers, even when what we came up with differed from what they would have had us believe.

I guess I'd have to say that in the absence of any overriding influence within the home, your thesis is probably correct. After all, one who is preaching to the choir does tend to do so more loudly than another might.

Celia Cyanide

Joker Groupie
Registered
Reaction score
reph said:

When actress Frances Farmer was 16, she wrote an essay called "God Dies." When she was a child, she prayed to God to help her find her hat, and it seemed, He had. Another child in her class was asking everyone to please pray for her mother, because she was dying. In spite of all the prayer, the child's mother still died. The essay was about how Frances could not find a suitable reason why God would help her find her hat, while another child lost her mother. So she lost her belief in prayer. Of course she took a lot of flack for it, but no one could give an explanation this very real concern she had as a child.

aspier

Banned
Reaction score
I live in my poetry and stories ... sometimes the
Website
users.skynet.be
Celia Cyanide said:
When actress Frances Farmer was 16, she wrote an essay called "God Dies." When she was a child, she prayed to God to help her find her hat, and it seemed, He had. Another child in her class was asking everyone to please pray for her mother, because she was dying. In spite of all the prayer, the child's mother still died. The essay was about how Frances could not find a suitable reason why God would help her find her hat, while another child lost her mother. So she lost her belief in prayer. Of course she took a lot of flack for it, but no one could give an explanation this very real concern she had as a child.

You know Celia this happened to me yesterday. I was driving on an errand and needed a parking spot urgently. Without thinking about it and speaking to myself I said 'Oh, God plse plse give me a spot' ... AND! Woops! In front of me a car drove out of a parking lot. Even more! The guy stopped, got out of the car and gave me his parking ticket saying there's still some time left on it. All had to say was 'My, God, now look at this!'

Reality TV or just co-incidence?

NicoleJLeBoeuf

a work in progress
VPX
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.nicolejleboeuf.com
I have a hard time believing in a God(dess) who can be bossed around by prayer, or who actually cares about petty things like parking spots and football games. Those things seem to make God(dess) too small, to me. Even the idea of prayer to save a human life, the idea of the God that notes every sparrow's fall, seem to diminish the idea of God--I never been convinced of the omnibenevolence of That Being, because human ideas of benevolence are necessarily limited.

That said, I still pray.

And then there's the logical flip-side of beliving in divine intervention: to use the example upthread, believing that God heard the prayer of the little girl who lost her hat, and answered it, necessitates believing that God heard the prayer of the little girl whose mother was dying, and chose not to answer it. What does that say about God?

I recall a quote: "Prayers are always answered. Sometimes the answer is No." Not exactly comforting. I'm not a big fan of the explanation, "It was just God's will," but it doesn't seem to improve matters to say "It was too small to get on the Divine radar," which is, though crudely put, my actual belief. Or near enough to it. Or something.

I make no claim to being a logical being.

I'll make a stab at logic, though: What gives people comfort should not be taken away. Nor should it be offered as proof of anything other than that a person was comforted. Religion, prayer, and comfort are all subjective and not subject to laboratory testing.

...OK, that's me filling my "inflammatory remarks" quota for the day. Heh.

aspier

Banned
Reaction score
Website
users.skynet.be
Nicole yes, smile, that parking lot thing ... don't take it too serious, ok? Its not of the same category as when people tell you they needed money for this or that and then they started to pray and voila they got the money and now they keep on jabbing about it and tell others that's 'proof' o God, see? Its just well ... I had to figuer that for a moment etc. Kind of 'Jesus, parking lot!!! Yesss got it!' and then a big smile. See parking spots where I live are miricals when you happen to find one.

Your reverence re god/goddesses - God a man? Woman? Well that's immaterial questioning. In this respect he is not even a 'being'. Yet HE is not abstract. Definition always escapes His reality. There's always that oopsy woopsy litlle bit more of Him. Yet then again, he is always very small. Loser kind of 'man'. The type they nail on crosses. And there are metaphors to describe this 'smallness'. Take the Christmas bay for instance. The idea 'like an innocent child' is attached to that. Take yourself. When you see a baby you just want to smother the little thing it is. And babies make people come off their high horses. They say milk and even the hardest of heart start getting it for it. Its that innocence that's got the power. Be like a baby! That's the best position to be in.

And this 'on the cross man', my god, when we see some idiot being nailed to a cross (or put on an electric chair) for something idiotic he has said or done we feel sorry for him. Poor bugger we say and maybe wait! And we go fetch some water to sooth his pain all the while thinking 'My God, what stupid laws we have!' Or, 'Hey, this is too much, let this guy go'. That's 'Cross man's' power. He challeges the great lawmakers. Putting them before their design of life and world. He's influencial but yes he is going to loose his life. In some weird way that's the position to be in. Don't employ lawyers tricks to get you off the hook but go for the real thing. Go for the more, the challenge. Ask people why life is so ****! Why we have so 'inhuman' arrangements that's so far from 'reality'? Why we have to put up slimy faces before our bosses instead of being able to 'highten' to our own hights where we can breath freely and feel wow, its nice to be us? Etc. Maybe not bad to 'be Cross man'?

Then 'Sunday man'. Look, its nice to be free on one day in the week. Kick off shoes etc. + having a kind of overview re what you've accomplished the past 6 days (boy with this we can learn from the Jews). Some weeks there won't be much to be proud of. Say you are building a house and there's no lights in the bathroom ... oh the real King guy takes candles! Oeee romantic bath with his love etc. Not bad having a King attitude on Sunday either, no?

Oh my, everything the 'word' say = immitation! Imitate God! Don't Jihad for him or go door to door selling Watch-out Towers. No, for Christ sake, work with the little you got and skip it all a little towards making more sense in a corrupt materialist + illusionary world.

What I have written here is straight from the kerugma. Speak a word to a mountain and when he vanishes in front of you you too will say 'Christ, what a kingsize parking lot! I'll save some space for Spier!' Its that wonder thing! That surprise etc. Say is this off the topic? Oh, sorry!

as

Last edited:

Celia Cyanide

Joker Groupie
Registered
Reaction score
NicoleJLeBoeuf said:
I have a hard time believing in a God(dess) who can be bossed around by prayer, or who actually cares about petty things like parking spots and football games. Those things seem to make God(dess) too small, to me.

Makes sense to me. My feeling about it is...a being who is all knowing, eh? Do I really need to tell him/her what I want? Why doesn't s/he already know?

NicoleJLeBoeuf said:
And then there's the logical flip-side of beliving in divine intervention: to use the example upthread, believing that God heard the prayer of the little girl who lost her hat, and answered it, necessitates believing that God heard the prayer of the little girl whose mother was dying, and chose not to answer it. What does that say about God?

And God said, "Thanks, Nicole. Now I feel like crap." No, wait, that was Haskins. Sorry, I get those two mixed up sometimes.

aspier

Banned
Reaction score
Website
users.skynet.be
Celia Cyanide said:
Makes sense to me. My feeling about it is...a being who is all knowing, eh? Do I really need to tell him/her what I want? Why doesn't s/he already know?

asking = saying thanks

Haven't you ever said to someone you love 'you won't be long! Please please! Not long!' = You appreciate this someone and actually know that he/she appreciates you too and definitely would do all he can to rush back to you!

appreciation = thanks type of thing, no? Also only idiots expects to get what the ask. You don't have to ask God anything. He'll do His best anyway. Any Jew in here? What is the original meaning of the verb action 'ask' in Biblical Hebrew? Bet its something like 'get what you deserve' ... that deseving part's rather the probs.

reph

Fig of authority
Registered
Reaction score
JennaGlatzer said:
Anyway, the second part of that statement imposes a value judgment on others-- "more realistic, more mature" implies that you think the converse of people who pray. That comes through in what you post, and that's what I meant about replying "equally." No one up to that point was saying "people who don't believe in prayer are bad/wrong/immature/etc." So it comes across that you're not asking for a simple equality of views, but that one view is deemed rational and mature while the other isn't.
Okay, I can see that. But I made the statement in this thread, not in the Miners thread, and in response to your analysis that people pray because that's the one thing they can do "in this helpless situation."

If the situation is really helpless, nothing I can do will help. If the situation is helpless, I'll align myself more closely with reality if I acknowledge that it is than if I give myself a false sense of having made a contribution.

I suppose the counterargument is "No situation is helpless: you can always help by praying." The assumption there is that prayer helps, so we're back to square one.

Moondancer said:
The reason I thought the timing and delivery of the question were off was the very title of the thread set the tone and focus: "Please Pray for Our Miners".
Well, yes, that did set a tone, an exclusionary tone. With hindsight, I should have paid more attention to it and predicted that only prayer-positive views would fit in. But that's my complaint. The only thread about the tragedy in the mine was set up for praying people, apparently on the assumption that all who might care about it believe in prayer.

Would it have been appropriate to start a second thread for secular discussion of the accident? Wouldn't that have been inflammatory, too?

Celia Cyanide

Joker Groupie
Registered
Reaction score
aspier said:
asking = saying thanks

Haven't you ever said to someone you love 'you won't be long! Please please! Not long!' = You appreciate this someone and actually know that he/she appreciates you too and definitely would do all he can to rush back to you!

Well, yes of course, but doesn't God know if you appreciate him/her?

And you have to admit, Argo, of all the arguements against prayer, mine is the funniest.

Richard

13th Triskaidekaphobe
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.richardcobbett.co.uk
reph said:
Would it have been appropriate to start a second thread for secular discussion of the accident? Wouldn't that have been inflammatory, too?

Okay, all the religious/secular/happy holiday stuff is getting a bit over the top. As such, I'd like to jump in now and bagsie the Grand Inquisitor position if things go completely off the rails. Have no fear - I plan to make my rule just and fair - shunning magic, and shunning the appearance of magic. Shunning everything, and then shunning shunning...

Last edited:

aspier

Banned
Reaction score
Website
users.skynet.be
Yes they are! No I don't think he knows ... yet how is it possible that you 'just know' when your boyfriend is cheating on you? He was over at Lamont, fishing with dudes, he said etc. It doesn't take! Maybe God works the same way. In my case, that parking lot ... it was just a quick parking I needed. Probably it was that kind man who gave it to me, etc. and so on. Come to think of it I never even thanked him! OMG oopsy! But I did say plse plse. Anyway I like you. Why don't you come over and check out my boat. I built it myself but I thank God the building phase is over ... all those links on pagebuilding is very time consuming!

http://users.skynet.be/spier/argoboatindex.htm

Pat~

Luftmensch Emeritus, A.D.D.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
reph said:
This is the hypothesis I'm wondering about: Maybe the degree to which you expect others to share your beliefs depends on where you grew up. I was raised in an ethnically and religiously diverse town. I now live in a city that's also diverse. In my home town, it was understood that you didn't know a person's religious affiliation until the person revealed it. A stranger might be Roman Catholic, Methodist, Mennonite, Jewish, Nazarene, Presbyterian, Armenian Apostolic, Baptist, Greek Orthodox, Church of Christ, A.M.E. Zion, Episcopal, Church of God, Seventh-day Adventist (and I'm sure I'm leaving out some), or unaffiliated. You couldn't assert your own particular beliefs in a group and assume that others would accept them as you did. It simply wasn't done. It was bad manners.

On the Web, however, some people state their beliefs as if explaining an objective, noncontroversial principle of mathematics, even though the audience is similarly mixed. I can only speculate that people who do this must live in a community where asserting religious beliefs as truths is accepted because everyone goes to the same church. Perhaps there are a few dissenters, but they've learned to keep quiet.

Not sure about that hypothesis, at least in my case, Reph. I was raised in a heterogenous setting, yet would have no problem starting a thread in a public forum with "Please Pray for _____." I would just assume that those who could relate to it would, and others would not.

I was raised in the northeastern USA, in an evangelical Christian home and church situation, but lived in a community and attended schools that were predominately Jewish. Our church was extremely small, nobody from my school went to it, and most of my closest friends, including my high school boyfriend, were Jewish. One friend, in particular, was extremely intelligent and philosophical, and during free periods he and I enjoyed almost daily, sometimes hour-long exchanges about the differences between our religious beliefs. I also had an outspokenly atheistic high school English teacher who assigned many papers with topics intended to stimulate our thinking along religious/philosophical lines. Though we were on opposite spectrums in our belief systems, she always gave me the "A". All this to say, I think that the way I was raised taught me that the simple act of expressing my beliefs was NOT the same as "expecting others to accept them". It was an extremely valuable experience to learn how to 'think outloud' with others about these topics, yet not take it personally if they disagree. I found debate and disagreement of thought stimulating--but maybe that was because it was always done in an atmosphere of respect and friendship. I still enjoy a good debate, though I admit I get annoyed with people when they get off-topic by injecting it with personal defensiveness because they're worried someone's "trying to change their mind." It's hard to debate an interesting subject with someone whose sense of self is threatened by the process.

I believe what I believe with a very deep, and at this point in my life, fairly rock-solid confidence. What I believe is so integrated with who I am, that it flows out pretty regularly. I would like to think that expressing my beliefs, even passionately, would not be interpreted as trying to convert someone to them; a belief I hold pretty strongly to, in fact, is that only God is capable of 'converting'. I also believe that to express what I believe is not the same as always expecting an acceptance of what I believe. Neither is it an intolerance of other beliefs. But I also know that I cannot control if others misperceive me, and think otherwise. If I do ever offend someone, I hope that they'd PM me so I can do some fence-mending; but otherwise, I don't worry about what people think of me. What they think about other stuff is so much more interesting.

Last edited:

maestrowork

Fear the Death Ray
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.amazon.com
My $0.0000000000000002:

Religion or spirituality or the supernatural regardless, I think the mind is a very powerful thing. When we are comforted by others' "good thoughts and wishes and prayers and vibes and telepathic wavelengths, etc." my thought is that it doesn't really matter if it works or can be proven to be working. What is important is that the person who knows people care would feel better, and the mind does wonderful tricks because of that.

Now, what about we're sending good thoughts and vibes and prayers and telepathic wavelengths to the miners but none of the families know about that... again, I think the mind is a very powerful thing and I think this collective energy can only do good... at best, it might do nothing. But what do we have to lose?

One might not believe in this flower power, hocus pocus love vibe thing. And that's okay. But there really is no harm done when people believe in that stuff, isn't it? I'd rather think positively through a crisis. It's not about making "ourselves" feel better instead of feeling helpless. Personally, I really do believe in this mind thing. :) That's just me.

Obviously, not all prayers or good thoughts or vibes are "answered." I don't really think that's the point. The point is, I think, that we're doing something. "Sending good vibes" is doing something, even if we really can't "measure" the benefit. I'd rather "do something" than sitting around and say, "Oh well, too bad."

aspier

Banned
Reaction score
Website
users.skynet.be
As always I have missed the point! I have now read the whole thread and realise its all about some kind of misunderstanding or fight! Titel seemed good though at first glance. Sorry for barging in, ok? If you should skip the reason why the thread started it can be a real winner of a thread. Every post so far (accept mine then) had some interesting thoughts in them. Reph posted this for example

"... some people state their beliefs as if explaining an objective, noncontroversial principle of mathematics...'

Now one would expect this is some worthy discussion point! It is so true etc. And Jenna's remarks re 'vibes'. That too. Etc. Neighter of these points got noticed.

What I really don't understand is why people - and I noticed this on more boards - think ezboards are real life situations. Its only thought in here. If someone 'voices' a 'bad' thought ... well the distinction of it is basically in the readers own head and isn't something someone says to her/him. Mostly on boards one is 'talking' to himself. I mean you don't get cross with yourself if YOU think an offbeat thought. You just say to yourself 'Oh look at what I am thinking now' and you deal with it. Whoosh gone! You don't loose face to yourself. So why do it on boards, trying to safe face? And trying to explain etc. If I were to say "God is checking what I type here" - what is that? A truth? A thought? A vibe? Its not even funny! Its nothing. Just a 'thought' sentence typed and not even meant as a statement. The problem too with e-flairs and stuff like 'He said that but I meant that" etc. is that it is also delayed communication that takes place on time periods. There's no face to face stuff, eye contact etc. So what is it, the emotions that works up in one when he reads 4 days later what somebody he doesn't know has thought 4 days prior? Its in your head stuff! No? All is solely in the reader's head and there the whole process of hurt takes place.

Aahh what ... this takes too long etc. Tnx for reading my head anyway. I send you all good 'prayer vibes' ... do you feel it coming on! Strong stuff ... in my head, no? Yes I am good at that ... vibes (mostly my own) and of course never be onto stuff. Snif see now I am starting to feel bad!

I wonder how I will feel 4 days from now? Oh yes, and then there's this thought!

'What comes first tomorrow night? The night or your death?'

Wave bye!

Hannah

Registered
Reaction score
I’m not religious, I don’t even believe in any part of organized religion; I consider myself “non-partisan” when people ask me, but it doesn’t scare me when someone ask me to “pray” for someone (though I won't call it "pray"). I can think of them because I care about all humans in need, no matter what their religion is. I respect whatever people practice, and they usually respect my non-participation.

With that said, I don’t know if the power of prayer works, but I do believe in the power of the human mind, and science.

Status
Not open for further replies.