PDA

View Full Version : Abraham Lincoln Vampire Hunter

thekingsguard
06-23-2012, 02:40 PM
I liked it myself (http://korsgaardscommentary.blogspot.com/2012/06/abraham-lincoln-vampire-hunter.html), but it definatley follows the Cowboys & Aliens rule (ie, say the title out loud and go see it based on if you sneer or not). A lot better than I thought it would be, and way better than the critics are giving it credit for.

7.5 out of 10. Anyone else go see it or have plans to see it?

J.S.F.
06-23-2012, 02:44 PM
Basically I agree with your assessment. It is clever, introducing real historical figures as either vampires, victims, or both. This is really the kind of movie you rent and not see but whatever. It's a decent time waster.

Abe rocks.:D

zahra
06-23-2012, 10:38 PM
Yeah, 'twas fun. Amazing scene with the horses. I wonder what ole Abe would say if he could look down and see this new interpretation of his story? D'you think he'd laugh? Or be annoyed? Or just totally bemused?

Mharvey
06-24-2012, 12:58 AM
Basically I agree with your assessment. It is clever, introducing real historical figures as either vampires, victims, or both. This is really the kind of movie you rent and not see but whatever. It's a decent time waster.

Abe rocks.:D

I dunno. This is probably the first and only work I've ever judged based on its title and genre alone. I just have no desire to see a story that actually takes itself seriously, putting probably the biggest American icon you can get into the tail end of a fading pop culture reference. Now, if this was a comedy/satire, I'd probably see it... but it's not. I wouldn't go as far to call the idea 'offensive,' but I'll settle on 'obnoxious'.

What's next? FDR: Zombie Apocalypse? I could just see the tagline: You don't need legs to kick zombie ass.

J.S.F.
06-24-2012, 02:44 AM
I dunno. This is probably the first and only work I've ever judged based on its title and genre alone. I just have no desire to see a story that actually takes itself seriously, putting probably the biggest American icon you can get into the tail end of a fading pop culture reference. Now, if this was a comedy/satire, I'd probably see it... but it's not. I wouldn't go as far to call the idea 'offensive,' but I'll settle on 'obnoxious'.

What's next? FDR: Zombie Apocalypse? I could just see the tagline: You don't need legs to kick zombie ass.

---

As Teddy would say "Bully, sir!" (Or words to that effect). When you say "American icon" are you referring to Lincoln specifically or the American presidency. If it's Lincoln, I can sort of see it, but the American presidency itself has taken a lot of hits over the decades. Taft wasn't the most popular prez ever (worse than Martin Van 'Ruin' for example) and in modern times, Bill Clinton got lampooned up the wazoo for his sexcapades. Obama has taken a lot of flak as well (some of it deserved and some not).

This is entertainment, first and foremost. Zombies are still in the public eye and that's what the public wants. If it portrayed Lincoln as some bumbling fool, an inept lackey, then it would be offensive but for what it was, I didn't find it obnoxious or offensive at all. One man's Mede....

BenPanced
06-24-2012, 03:11 AM
Not sure about this one. I tried to read Pride & Prejudice & Zombies, but that lost steam for me during the third chapter. Kinda put me off the rest of the guy's writing.

Mharvey
06-24-2012, 11:54 AM
---

As Teddy would say "Bully, sir!" (Or words to that effect). When you say "American icon" are you referring to Lincoln specifically or the American presidency. If it's Lincoln, I can sort of see it, but the American presidency itself has taken a lot of hits over the decades. Taft wasn't the most popular prez ever (worse than Martin Van 'Ruin' for example) and in modern times, Bill Clinton got lampooned up the wazoo for his sexcapades. Obama has taken a lot of flak as well (some of it deserved and some not).

This is entertainment, first and foremost. Zombies are still in the public eye and that's what the public wants. If it portrayed Lincoln as some bumbling fool, an inept lackey, then it would be offensive but for what it was, I didn't find it obnoxious or offensive at all. One man's Mede....

I'm referring to Lincoln in specific, yeah, not just the presidency. If they picked a lesser known president, I probably wouldn't find it too obnoxious, but I'd still probably be like: "you kidding me? What's wrong with Buffy. Why does it have to be an American president? That's just silly."

BigWords
06-24-2012, 04:26 PM
I'm referring to Lincoln in specific, yeah, not just the presidency. If they picked a lesser known president, I probably wouldn't find it too obnoxious, but I'd still probably be like: "you kidding me? What's wrong with Buffy. Why does it have to be an American president? That's just silly."

FWIW, the use of Lincoln in a film with horror tropes is completely understandable for me - his experiences (the doppelganger which he mentioned, his premonitions) and the events after his death (the continued sightings of the Lincoln ghost train) make it easier for the suspension of disbelief in this instance - that he had so many paranormal things in and around his life (YMMV on how strongly those are based on truth, and how much was added in afterwards) makes him more than just "the president" and adds something special to his continued use in fiction.

angeliz2k
06-24-2012, 05:01 PM
I saw it yesterday and actually enjoyed it. There were some nice historical touches (like Mary saying Lincoln's line about common people), and you know going into it what you're getting yourself into. If you can't allow some leeway in the story to insert the vampires, then you're watching the wrong movie.

I agree with BigWords that Lincoln is the only president who would have really fit. I mean . . . Millard Filmore, vampire hunter? Lincoln has a mystique about him (mostly built around him following his assassination). In many minds, he's become something slightly more than human. I know I'm guilty of getting all misty-eyed and buying into the man-as-myth. He was also melancholy from time to time, was witness to a great deal of tragedy, and had some startling premonitions (if you believe the stories). Somehow it "fits" in a peculiar way with the vampire thing.

Anyway, I was woried they were going to leave the Washington Monument at full height and that I was going to have to have a sh!t fit. Luckily, they got Washington City's geography c. 1860 correct. (I'm writing historical fiction set in Washington City in the 1850's, so I'm pretty well acquainted with how it should be.)

frimble3
06-25-2012, 01:15 AM
---

As Teddy would say "Bully, sir!" (Or words to that effect).
When I think of US presidents in this context, I keep thinking that Teddy Roosevelt would have relished being portrayed as a vampire hunter. Or zombie killer.

blacbird
06-25-2012, 02:07 AM
I'm waiting for the sequel: Richard Nixon, vampire.

caw

angeliz2k
06-25-2012, 02:19 AM
I'm waiting for the sequel: Richard Nixon, vampire.

caw

I almost choked and died from laughing. Thank you!

LadyV
06-25-2012, 03:18 AM
When I think of US presidents in this context, I keep thinking that Teddy Roosevelt would have relished being portrayed as a vampire hunter. Or zombie killer.
Teddy was an avid hunter in real life. I'd picture his query being more beast-like.

Teddy Roosevelt: Werewolf Hunter.

dirtsider
06-25-2012, 04:06 AM
Saw it today. I enjoyed it. And yeah, there's already a bit of mystique about Lincoln, given his premonitions about his own death and all the ghost stories. There are stories that the Lincolns brought in mediums after Willie's death. So Lincoln's a good fit for a supernatural story like this.

I tried reading Pride & Prejudice & Zombies but couldn't get into that one. Then again, I liked the original Pride & Prejudice.

A little quick note, the actor (Dominic Cooper) who plays Henry, Lincoln's mentor, played Willoby in the most recent mini-series of Sense & Sensibility.

dclary
06-25-2012, 04:32 AM

Read the novel. It's a fantastic page-turner.

frimble3
06-25-2012, 07:45 AM
Teddy was an avid hunter in real life. I'd picture his query being more beast-like.

I'm thinking it's a potential series!

Cyia
06-25-2012, 07:57 AM

Teddy went after larger fare. It would have to be Teddy Roosevelt: Bigfoot Hunter.

frimble3
06-25-2012, 08:38 AM
'Teddy Roosevelt: He Hunts the Hidden!'

J.S.F.
06-25-2012, 12:15 PM
How about 'Bill Clinton: Vampire...'

Never mind, not worth contemplating....

:)

Cyia
06-25-2012, 05:19 PM
'Teddy Roosevelt: He Hunts the Hidden!'

That could actually be interesting. Make it YA. Teddy as a teen. Or better yet, MG.

We open on young Theodore in his nursery, playing with blocks, when suddenly a minotaur bursts through the door.

"Bully!" shouts Teddy.

And the rest, as they say, was history.

:D

LadyV
06-25-2012, 05:25 PM
That could actually be interesting. Make it YA. Teddy as a teen. Or better yet, MG.

We open on young Theodore in his nursery, playing with blocks, when suddenly a minotaur bursts through the door.

"Bully!" shouts Teddy.

And the rest, as they say, was history.

I like it!

Jcomp
06-25-2012, 05:38 PM
I think I'd rather see Benjamin Franklin-stein.

Cyia
06-25-2012, 06:13 PM
This is starting to sound like a Saturday morning knock-off of Monster High.

J.S.F.
06-25-2012, 06:47 PM
In before the debate whether Abraham Lincoln, Vampire Hunter was better than The Amazing Screw on Head.

angeliz2k
06-26-2012, 12:24 AM
Forget vampires, the more incredible part of the movie was Mary Lincoln as a likeable character! (Sorry, Mrs. Lincoln!)

DavidZahir
06-27-2012, 11:18 PM
I quite liked the film. Rather a lot. Here is my review (http://www.vampires.com/review-of-abraham-lincoln-vampire-hunter/). Frankly, if you're going to do something like this, it would have to be Lincoln. Unless you were going for a joke. This is not a joke. Cannot emphasize that enough. As I point out in my review (which will make some folks upset because I note how of course the vampires would support the Confederacy) this movie tries to blend two myths--that of the Civil War and how we have come to use vampires as a metaphor. More, it succeeds.

Shadow_Ferret
06-27-2012, 11:23 PM
7.5 out of 10. Anyone else go see it or have plans to see it?
Just based in the title, I think it could be fun as hell, but then that's why I bought the book -- which is still on my too-be-read like.

It makes me sad that this gets a 7.5 and John Carter got hat it got.