Not open for further replies.

JenNipps

Have you JHS today?
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jenifernipps.com
I know the adage says writers read. But who do you read? Why? Do you learn anything from the writers you read? What is something you have learned from the last book you read?

JenNipps

Have you JHS today?
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jenifernipps.com
I'm currently reading a book of 4 novellas titled Highland Vampire. Yeah, it's romance and not really remotely considered mainstream, but be that as it may.

I'm having a hard time getting through the first story even though there's nothing wrong with the plot or storyline itself.

Let's just say there's a definite reason when you hear someone say to use dialect sparingly. It's tough to get past all the "dinnae," "wouldnae," and the like.

JAlpha

Smilie Fanatic
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
diaryofaliteraryfictioneditor.blogspot.com
The last book I read was Alison's Automotive Repair Manual, by Brad Barkley.

I learned a great deal about the similarities between love, loss and restoring old cars, and the author taught me that I don't need to fear writing a story from a male perspective. Brad's MC is female, and he did a fantastic job of writing from a female protagonist's perspective.

maestrowork

Fear the Death Ray
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.amazon.com
I am still trying to finish Fight Club.

Then I will either start on Tyrannosaur Canyon by Preston (I know, I know, it's not mainstream...) or Sideways by Picket.

pdr

Banned
Reaction score
Reading.

Just finished Alexander McCall Smith's 'The Sunday Philosophy Club' and am into Orhan Pamuk's 'My Name is Red'.

JenNipps

Have you JHS today?
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jenifernipps.com
I got to go to Waldenbooks in Oklahoma CIty yesterday. I bought three new books -- much to my sister-in-law's dismay. She thinks I have too many books already. They're all fantasy, though.

Status
Not open for further replies.