PDA

View Full Version : Living in Caves

TheIT
01-06-2006, 06:21 AM
In my fantasy WIP, one of my characters lives in a cave up on a mountain (and no, she's not a Neanderthal). I'm looking for information on the logistics of living in caves. What sort of water source? Underground river? Are air vents needed? Chimney hole for a fire? This world has a medieval level of technology (no electricity or gunpowder). Any suggestions on resources? All I've found in my local library is information on exploring caves, not living in one.

Moondancer
01-06-2006, 06:29 AM
Since any of those things you mentioned above could come into play ... in any way you want... I'd suggest looking at some books that describe various cave systems and see which would strike you as "home". It could have a water source inside from seepage to a lake... It could have a lot of things because caves are unique to their related geopgraphical regions.

If the character lives in a cave, what kind of air vents would be needed?... Unless you plan on having him or her deep underground in which case there might be a need for "vents" to the outside world. If you have air vents you have chimney holes... You see? It's your world, or your character's. You and he or she decide these things together.

Unique
01-06-2006, 03:13 PM
Believe it or not, I think about living in a cave quite often.

My cave has a large pool - with warm water from hot springs. The kitchen/dining room is in another chamber because there are cracks in the ceiling which allows smoke to vent. There is also a handy spring outside the main entrance and to the left. A nice mixture of deciduous and evergreen shrubs obscure the entrance and smoke holes so people won't know what I'm up to in there.

I saw a news article not too long ago where some folks got busted for growing controlled organic substances in caves. It was quite an operation with lights & water hooked up. There are all sorts of things you can do in a nicely apportioned cave....

You can see one news story here (http://tinyurl.com/8f732).

Aconite
01-06-2006, 05:13 PM
I'm looking for information on the logistics of living in caves.
Waaaaaaaaay back when we had to smash our own hydrogen and oxygen atoms together to make water, when I was in college, my archaeology professor walked us through what made a good "living" cave. (For "cave," see also "abri.") Have you checked out archaeology/anthropology sources?

Moondancer
01-06-2006, 09:11 PM
I saw a news article not too long ago where some folks got busted for growing controlled organic substances in caves. It was quite an operation with lights & water hooked up. There are all sorts of things you can do in a nicely apportioned cave....

You can see one news story here (http://tinyurl.com/8f732).

That happened not too far from here, lol. I'm about sick of it on the TV, but, heck, I guess they don't have anything else to talk about most of the time.

Unique
01-06-2006, 09:25 PM
That happened not too far from here, lol. I'm about sick of it on the TV, but, heck, I guess they don't have anything else to talk about most of the time.

I'm bugged because the guy had MY dream home, got busted, and now the government knows where it is.

Good cave hideouts are hard to find.

Drat it all.

Moondancer
01-06-2006, 09:27 PM
Want I should keep an eye out for when it comes up on government auction?

Unique
01-07-2006, 05:57 PM
Want I should keep an eye out for when it comes up on government auction?

Sure. That would be great. Think I could be so lucky as to have money at the same time it goes on the block?

Paint
01-08-2006, 01:17 AM
Back in the day, hippie times that is, I knew some people who lived in caves. They said it was not so different from camping in a remote place. They did not burn inside the cave. It was warm (Arizona). So you have a cave instead of a tent. I went in one once. Let's see, the walls were red and dry. There were sections, smaller rooms. Some you had to lay on your tummy to get to. In the rooms were artifacts from other cave dwellers, pottery shards and such. I saw a lot of pack rat nests with interesting things in them. Of course you have the scattered bone thing from animals.Hope any of that helps.