Alleged Plagiarism Spanning Two Decades

Status
Not open for further replies.

RobJ

Banned
Reaction score
I've been following this one for several days on Twitter and Facebook, and it's now made the national press:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/educatio...-a-Dylan-Thomas-story-under-her-own-name.html

Dr Joanne Benford, a teacher of creative writing, is accused of multiple instances of copying the works of other writers and passing them off as her own over two decades.

One of her short fiction collections, Down By The Water, features a story called Holiday Memory. It appears to be a verbatim copy of a radio play of the same name written by Dylan Thomas and first broadcast on the BBC in 1946.

The allegations came to light after Alex Keegan, an author of short fiction, discovered a work called Postcards From BalloonLand in another book by Dr Benford, called Coming Up For Air.

Mr Keegan claims that the story is his own, based on his own children and a family trip to Disneyland. He alleges that the story was reprinted word-for-word in Dr Benford’s collection.

shaldna

The cake is a lie. But still cake.
Registered
Reaction score
Not another one.

And she should really have known better - she's a frigging creative writing tutor!

I know from my own experiences with the OU that they have a zero tolerance policy when it comes to things like plagiarism, so it's sad that one of their staff has been caught out.

That said, not sure how much the university can do about it unless she was using the writing as part of her work for the university.

Terie

Writer is as Writer does
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.teriegarrison.com
That said, not sure how much the university can do about it unless she was using the writing as part of her work for the university.

People have lost their jobs in other fields (such as the Hungarian president quite recently) over plagiarism. I would imagine (or at least certainly hope) that any kind of plagiarism on the part of an academic staff member would have consequences no less than a student's, regardless of whether the work was for the university in question. It goes to the heart of ethics.

Also, whether the plagiarised work was presented to the university or not, it was still a major factor in her qualifications for the job. I think it's absolutely relevant to her current position as a creative writing instructor.

fireluxlou

Registered
Reaction score
I was just on the OUSA A215 creative Writing board as that's my next course. Wow. OU don't take lightly to these things, the will come down on her like a ton of bricks.

She's been active in promoting her own books to her students as someone said in the comments:
I broke that news of Benford "selling" to her students after one A215 student contacted me at Facebook, but I don't think they were "sold" as such. Instead they were offered as freebies to "up her profile"

And it is relevant to her job. Her job is creative writing!

lorna_w

Hybrid Grump
Registered
Reaction score
Since I've never heard of her, not only is she an evil criminal, she's an inept one. Steal something better next time, you dumb bimbo.

Torgo

Formerly Phantom of Krankor.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
torgoblog.blogspot.com

You think? Blimey. I kind of assumed that if an academic were exposed as a plagiarist they'd be drummed out of the faculty, the leather patches snipped off their tweed coat by a senior lecturer with a flinty expression. You can't get sacked for being a thief?

fireluxlou

Registered
Reaction score
You think? Blimey. I kind of assumed that if an academic were exposed as a plagiarist they'd be drummed out of the faculty, the leather patches snipped off their tweed coat by a senior lecturer with a flinty expression. You can't get sacked for being a thief?

Oh they will sack her, this is in their interest to sack her and as she's an author who's a plagiarist who's a teacher a course on Creative Writing they are going to sack her.

OU will take this very seriously. Don't worry about that.

shaldna

Registered
Reaction score
I would imagine (or at least certainly hope) that any kind of plagiarism on the part of an academic staff member would have consequences no less than a student's, regardless of whether the work was for the university in question. It goes to the heart of ethics.

I agree totally guys. However, I do have to say that plagiarism is a civil matter and not a criminal one (although it should be IMHO) and, and I hate to say it, there's always a chance that she'll walk away scott free. What the university will do about it I don't know. How much they CAN do about it I'm not sure.

Personally I think it should be looked at very seriously, and the right punishment delivered.

Plagiarism is never okay.

fireluxlou

Registered
Reaction score
I agree totally guys. However, I do have to say that plagiarism is a civil matter and not a criminal one (although it should be IMHO) and, and I hate to say it, there's always a chance that she'll walk away scott free. What the university will do about it I don't know. How much they CAN do about it I'm not sure.

Personally I think it should be looked at very seriously, and the right punishment delivered.

Plagiarism is never okay.

The University will reprimand and discipline her if not fire her because she already broke one of the rules in that you can't promote your own works to students for personal gain, which she was sending links to her books online to her students asking them to buy the books (one of the students reported this to the unviersity then other students found their creative assignment work in her books).

There's also an investigation going on as to whether her PHD is legitimate as she earned it before they bought in the plagiarism scanners.

gothicangel

Toughen up.
Registered
Reaction score
I know from my own experiences with the OU that they have a zero tolerance policy when it comes to things like plagiarism, so it's sad that one of their staff has been caught out.

Certainly. Before I went to Stirling Uni, I studied with the OU. I remember failing to reference an essay properly, the tutor left me in tears. It was my own fault, neither would I call it accidental, and I deserved every word of the dressing down.

Ever since, I've been paranoid when referencing.

Alessandra Kelley

Sophipygian
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.alessandrakelley.com
I'm still looking at it and thinking ... Dylan Thomas? And no one noticed?

On the other hand, I can remember being disgusted at about the age of twelve or thirteen to recognize a prize-winning Scholastic play as copied directly from the Christmas play in some ladies' magazine the previous year, only the characters' names had been changed from Mickey and Goofy and Hesperornis to something else and Hesperornis (yes, they copied from Disney). I didn't know there was anything I could do about it, but I remember it seemed awfully unfair.

shaldna

Registered
Reaction score
The University will reprimand and discipline her if not fire her because she already broke one of the rules in that you can't promote your own works to students for personal gain, which she was sending links to her books online to her students asking them to buy the books (one of the students reported this to the unviersity then other students found their creative assignment work in her books).

I never thought of that. But yeah, that alone is a serious issue.

Bufty

Where have the last ten years gone?
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Especially someone like her who must have known she stood to lose more than she could possibly gain from the exercise.

Is it the belief that everybody gets caught but you?

Terie

Writer is as Writer does
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.teriegarrison.com
Especially someone like her who must have known she stood to lose more than she could possibly gain from the exercise.

Is it the belief that everybody gets caught but you?

Consider, too, how long it took her to get caught. I daresay the rise of the internet is going to turn up quite a few more of these situations, where people started plagiarising when the 'net was little more than a gleam in its inventors' eyes.

Jupiter

Registered
Reaction score
Why? I just don't understand why someone plagiarizes others work. Why not just write your own stories?

I'm right with you, Susan. I don't understand it either. It's not just theft, it's a violation of someone else's thoughts and abilities.

BigWords

Geekzilla
Registered
Reaction score
[DERAIL]

The internet has been around for decades. The creation of the world wide web is the big change in using the internet.

[/DERAIL]

lorna_w

Hybrid Grump
Registered
Reaction score
In the US, what has happened to others is that the plagiarist triggers curious people who drag out the master's thesis and everything still in some professor's drawer back to undergrad days. It all gets scrutinized in great detail and degrees start getting stripped. There was some famous Endowed Chair fellow who this happened to, he lost the chair, lost his job, got his PhD stripped, then his MA. Probably his high school teachers were wondering, as well.

Old Hack

Such a nasty woman
Super Moderator
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
According to the Facebook page set up about this, her PhD thesis has been checked by an appropriate academic and one chapter was (I think) more than 50% plagiarised. At that point they stopped checking.

If the allegations are true it's awful to think that this has gone on so long. What was she thinking? Will Amazon demand back the monies paid for her plagiarised works so they can pass them onto the rightful authors? And what is she going to do now?

Last edited:

Susan Coffin

Tell it like it Is
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.strokingthepen.com
I want to say plagiarism stems from a lack of self-confidence to be able to produce you own stories, but I think it goes way deeper than that. However, I wonder if it actually stems from narcissism. After all, people who plagiarize think they can get away with it, otherwise they would not do it. Or, maybe they are just trying to get caught.

Scribhneoir

Reinventing Myself
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
It's not just theft, it's a violation of someone else's thoughts and abilities.

It's also an admission that they have no thoughts and abilities of their own.

I'm glad to see more and more plagiarists being outed these days. It's about time they face some consequences for their theft.

Bartholomew

Comic guy
Kind Benefactor
Poetry Book Collaborator
Registered
Reaction score
"I didn't plagiarize the stories! I ran them through an article spinner first...!"

jjdebenedictis

is watching you via her avatar
Registered
Reaction score
It's like some would-be reality stars. They want to be rich and famous without having any attribute or accomplishment to warrant such reward and adulation.

They want the prize without having to run the race.

It's a dream of laziness, greed, and entitlement, and I suspect Susan Littlefield's absolutely correct that it stems from personal narcissism. These people honestly don't understand why they aren't revered and thus slap together some half-assed facade to gain the attention they believe they deserve.

Status
Not open for further replies.