Capturing Wild Animals

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheIT

Infuriatingly Theoretical
Registered
Reaction score
I'm exploring an idea for my fantasy WIP which would require my characters to capture live wild animals, anything from field mice and birds to wolves and bears. The animals would be released back into the wild afterward so I'm looking for methods which wouldn't harm the animals or the people trying to trap them. This world has medieval technology so no electricity or gunpowder, but they do have magic though I'm not sure the trappers would be able to use magic directly. Any ideas on how to safely catch wild animals? Any resource suggestions? Offhand I can think of pit traps, nets, or cages.

pdr

Banned
Reaction score
Birds

There's a sticky mixture you make and spread on branches to trap the birds by miring their feet. Shakespeare's 'lime - liming for birds'. Doesn't harm or kill them.

You can also use muzzled dogs to capture animals and birds. We use them to find Kiwis and Kakapo.

Last edited:

Paint

Warrior of Truth
Poetry Book Collaborator
Registered
Reaction score
Standing at the precipitous cliff, believing I can
Website
www.shawnk.com
I once read of capturing wild horses by running them off a high spot to into a canyon that was fenced off. Another way is roping them after running them into a deep river. (requires friendly helper horse) Coyotes around here will individually befriend a dog and take it back to the pack. (disturbing)

jnesse

We have a severe rabbit problem at my house, but the local council thinks that more rabbits need to be set free on the commons (where they have almost been poached to extinction - wish we were so lucky) so they pay us per live male.
We don't do it often, but every once in a while, my brother will go out with a cardboard box, a carrot, a stick and a string and set a trap. The trap is fairly simple, we attach the carrot to the stick with the string and prop the box up with the stick. The rabbits smell the carrot, come into the box, pull on the carrot, the stick falls over and they get trapped in the box.

DaveKuzminski

Preditors & Editors
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Website
anotherealm.com
Then they dig a hole in the ground and escape leaving you with a perfectly good hole to hold a fence post. Repeat as often as needed and you'll soon have a dandy fence around your yard and all for the price of some carrots. ;)

reni

Work in progress
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Variations of "live traps" are pretty common. They work through a spring and tension system, I think, which ought to be fairly simple to adjust for medieval purposes. Do a Google search and I'm sure you'd be able to come up with the mechanics.

Leva

Registered
Reaction score
Here;s a few ideas.

For rodents and small reptiles, bury a bucket up to the rim in the ground. Put a low fence or net or just two logs, making a "v" into the bucket. The critter follows the fence to the bucket, then falls in. Reptiles will simply fall in. Mice & other small rodents require some sort of bait -- sweetened grain works nicely. Once you've got one mouse in there, others will follow, however. They're attracted to the mice that are already trapped. This is the best method I've ever found for getting rid of gophers. Takes a big bucket, though, as gophers jump.

For bats, birds, other flying critters -- mist nets.

Variation on a mist net -- take a small fruit tree or a feeding station of some sort, and enclose it on three sides with a net. On the fourth side, prop the net up so the birds can come and go. Wait until there's a bunch of birds in there. Drop the fourth side of the net closed.

For fowl -- chickens, turkeys, pheasants, quail, guinea fowl, peacocks, etc. etc. etc. -- make a pen of netting. Put a trail of feed into the netted enclosure through the doorway. Get the birds used to eating in there. Then rush the doorway -- most poultry type birds are dumb enough that they'll flee from you and you'll have time to close the door. Note that guineas and quail are dumb enough to kill themselves flying into the netting, however.

For deer and other large mammals -- you can either A: get them used to coming into a pen for food, then shut the gate or B: chase them into a pen, using cloth panels or scary humans to direct them through the gate. "A" is probably simpler and less stressful for the animal -- large herbivores are, generally speaking, easily attracted to grain, salt licks, etc. In fact, my father has a cabin in a remote area & has elk come into his back yard simply for hay, despite a forest full of browse for them. They're comfortable enough in the presence of people that we can stand out on the deck watching them eat 10-20 feet away. Note that deer, elk, cow-like wild animals, etc. can all jump impressive heights.

For predators -- as previously mentioned, box traps. I like the kind with a trip of some kind attached to food, and a sliding door that drops down catching the animal inside. For most predators and scavangers, you'd do good baiting the trap with something smelly, like last week's fish heads. Certain animals -- weasels and mink come to mind -- are more successfully caught with live bait, like a small chicken tied inside the trap.

Generally speaking, predators are fairly easy to catch. There will be some too smart to trap, but there will also be plenty of dumb young ones who haven't learned better yet. (And I have caught coyotes in a plywood box trap when I was TRYING to catch a stray dog, so I KNOW this rule applies to 'yotes.)

The FUN part is getting the predator OUT of the trap. :D

Leva

Leva

Registered
Reaction score
Actually, the simplest box trap uses gravity to close the door. Works like this:

Take a box.

In one end, construct a sliding door that drops shut under its own weight. You want to make a "lip" at the bottom so whatever you trapped can't get a paw under the door and push it back up. If you're trapping something with really nimble paws (like a raccoon) you might want to construct a latch that catches automatically, but for most critters, that's not necessary.

Using two pulleys (or just two eye-bolts), run a string from the door to a hole drilled in the top at other end of the trap.

Wittle a dowel so that there's a knotch on it at the very top. Tie the string to the stick. You want the dowl to just *barely*stick when the weight of the door is pulling on it.

The bottom of the stick should be an inch or two above a pan of tasty, smelly food that's attractive to whatever type of critter you're trying to catch. Stinky fish works for most predators.

When the animal eats, it bumps the stick, dislodging it. The stick flies up through the hole and the door slides shut and voila, trapped animal.

Of course, the fun part is getting the critter OUT of the trap ...

Leva

reni said:
Variations of "live traps" are pretty common. They work through a spring and tension system, I think, which ought to be fairly simple to adjust for medieval purposes. Do a Google search and I'm sure you'd be able to come up with the mechanics.

lilylang

re: trapping wild animals

I don't mean to put a damper on things but may I say that any captivity of a wild animal is profoundly stressful to them and can even cause them to die if they are held captive for any number of hours. In this amazing world of internet research and film and book libraries, is it really necessary to live trap the animals yourself for your research? I have modest experience live trapping wild stray cats who live on my land, solely for the purpose of neutering them to prevent a population explosion as they love to proliferate! I try to have them in and out of the vet and released back into the wild on the same day. Wild animals are extremely vicious, held in captivity, as you or I might also be under the same circumstances.

Leva

Registered
Reaction score
Umm.

Actually, I believe the original poster was talking about his CHARACTERS live trapping animals. One would assume the characters don't have access to a library.

And yeah, some of my suggestions are either from personal experience or from observation of others with critter problems. Generally speaking, in my neck of the woods, the only research involved is what bait works best. :)

I've also done a fair amount of trapping of feral cats. I've yet to see one die of stress, though they're generally rather unhappy about the idea. (At least until they realize people equal food -- I've got a former feral on my lap right now who's trying to convince me to get up and fill his food bowl up.)

I would be very concerned about turning a recently neutered cat loose, due to the risk of infection.

Leva

lilylang said:
I don't mean to put a damper on things but may I say that any captivity of a wild animal is profoundly stressful to them and can even cause them to die if they are held captive for any number of hours. In this amazing world of internet research and film and book libraries, is it really necessary to live trap the animals yourself for your research? I have modest experience live trapping wild stray cats who live on my land, solely for the purpose of neutering them to prevent a population explosion as they love to proliferate! I try to have them in and out of the vet and released back into the wild on the same day. Wild animals are extremely vicious, held in captivity, as you or I might also be under the same circumstances.

Saanen

Registered
Reaction score
Many of Gerald Durrell's books (especially his earlier ones) concern capturing live animals for sale to zoos. This was back in the 40s and 50s, but even then he was a compassionate and knowledgable person who knew how to care for animals. He didn't shoot the adults to capture the babies, for instance, and he didn't trap just anything, only what he knew would survive and was needed by a particular zoo. They're fascinating books. He eventually started his own zoo for endangered animals in Jersey, one of the first conservation zoos, and he has some books about that as well.

One of his tricks for getting small creatures was finding a half-hollow tree, putting netting over the exits, and starting a tiny, very smoky fire to scare the creatures in the tree out.

TheIT

Infuriatingly Theoretical
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks for the replies, everyone. This helps. To clarify, yes, the original question was about my characters catching wild animals, not me catching them. I've got a scenario in mind which requires my characters to have proximity to a live animal for a couple of hours, after which they can let the animal go.

Status
Not open for further replies.