9 weeks...

WriteStarfish

Registered
Reaction score
A fabulous agent at an amazing agency ( that I thought probably wouldn't even reply to my query) requested a full! It's been 9 weeks since then. No time frame was given. This particular agent has no stats on querytracker, but others in the agency all seem to have turnaround times that are shorter than what I've currently been waiting. Do I nudge?

Kewii

Registered
Reaction score
I think you're a little quick on the trigger to nudge. I think it's more appropriate to wait at least another month. I know it feels long, but give them the time to read.

happywritermom

Registered
Reaction score
I agree. Three months is a good nudge time on a full. At that point, I would send a polite email asking about the status.

dclary

Unabashed Mercenary
Poetry Book Collaborator
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.trumpstump2016.com
In my experience, the longer the better -- rejections tend to come fast. I agree with the others here too. Three months for a full, and then I'd give a one-month grace period. At the end of 120 days, send a polite followup letter.

WriteStarfish

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks, guys. I like your "the longer the better" logic, dclary. Here's hoping!

Miss Plum

Sockpuppet
Banned
Reaction score
WriteStarfish, are you continuing to query in the meantime? Are there requests for exclusivity involved? A big agent once requested my full, then sat on it and sat on it. I kept querying other agents, got requests, and BINGO -- an offer of rep from another agent whom I didn't want so much. I contacted the big agent and said "I've had an offer of rep, are you still interested in my manuscript?" and BOY did they get on the phone fast and offer me rep!

Oh, and they'd had my full for EIGHT MONTHS.

So query and write and, in the background, let your manuscript wend its way through its little process.

WriteStarfish

Registered
Reaction score
WriteStarfish, are you continuing to query in the meantime? Are there requests for exclusivity involved? A big agent once requested my full, then sat on it and sat on it. I kept querying other agents, got requests, and BINGO -- an offer of rep from another agent whom I didn't want so much. I contacted the big agent and said "I've had an offer of rep, are you still interested in my manuscript?" and BOY did they get on the phone fast and offer me rep!

Oh, and they'd had my full for EIGHT MONTHS.

So query and write and, in the background, let your manuscript wend its way through its little process.

Miss Plum, I have two other requests out as well right now- one full and one partial. They've just been out shorter than this full. Also, I have other queries out as well and the writing continues. So, yes, I am productively waiting and thanks so much for what you said about getting an offer after 8 months. I think there's the dual nature of 1) thinking that longer is better because agents didn't instantly reject but also 2) worrying that you've been passed over.