• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

Digital Publishing Expert (Marlene Diaz)

DocZack

Registered
Reaction score
Hello!

I put a synopsis of my unpublished Novel on publisher's marketplace and I got this email today:

Good Afternoon Dr. (my name was hre),

My name is Marlene Diaz and I am the President/CEO of Digital Publishing Expert. I came across your entry in Publishers Marketplace as well as frontrowlit.com and would like to offer you the opportunity to submit your manuscript for consideration.

Digital Publishing Expert Specializes in the Publication and Marketing of ebooks. We strive to market our new authors and their books above and beyond all other digital publishers. We stand out from the crowd as expert online marketers. Our Authors and their works are given unprecedented online exposure.

Our mission at Digital Publishing Expert is to evolve a new generation of creative and talented writers, to exhibit the brilliance that beholds the authors, to build a place where writers can come to find and discover diversity, and to give the writers the power to share their books with the world. We understand that our biggest asset is our client, as a result Digital Publishing Expert will constantly strive to maintain a commitment to honesty, to employ professionals, who understand the importance of delivering the best service standards at all times, and to adhere to a strict code of professional conduct.

Ride the wave to success with digital Publishing. According to the American Association of Publishers' latest report, adult eBooks outpaced adult hardcover books in sales for the first time ever, $282.3M to $229.6M, in the first quarter of 2012.

Reply to this email with your attached manuscript if you would like to consider digital publishing.

Looking forward to hearing from you soon,

Marlene Diaz
President/CEO
http://digitalpublishingexpert.com

855-834-1451

Anyone know about them? Are they legitimate?

Thanks

Perks

delicate #!&@*#! flower
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jamie-mason.com
Poking around the site, I guess my first question would be about what books they've already put into production. They don't have a link to any ebook they've done.

Somebody's gotta be the first, but do you want that to be you?

DocZack

Registered
Reaction score
Better than nothing. :cry:

Seriously though. They do not charge authors according to the site. I was about to send in a check to a self-publishing company when this came up, so it seemed a bit of serendipity.

Perks

delicate #!&@*#! flower
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jamie-mason.com
Ms. Diaz started her Twitter account 5 days ago. This is not a red flag as far as her intentions, it's just something to think about when looking to sell your work.

Why would you go that route instead of a more established e-publisher or a trade publisher? "Better than nothing" is probably not the attitude that's going to get you through the grinding times ahead. And believe me, no matter which way you go, this is an endeavor with teeth.

DocZack

Registered
Reaction score
Ms. Diaz started her Twitter account 5 days ago. This is not a red flag as far as her intentions, it's just something to think about when looking to sell your work.

Why would you go that route instead of a more established e-publisher or a trade publisher? "Better than nothing" is probably not the attitude that's going to get you through the grinding times ahead. And believe me, no matter which way you go, this is an endeavor with teeth.

Sorry. Just a bit of frustration there. You have a great point, RE, the twitter account. 5 days? No much of a track record there at all.

Al Stevens

Registered
Reaction score
Their website is about attracting authors, not selling books to readers. That's a red flag.

DocZack

Registered
Reaction score
I'm wondering what the hook is, though. They don't ask for money at all, so that seems to make me think that it is not a scam or am I a bit naive?

BenPanced

THE BLUEBERRY QUEEN OF HADES (he/him)
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
They're using Amanda Hocking's name and likeness as a selling point: If she can do it, so can you! A bit misleading, I'd say. Some people could interpret this as her endorsement.

DocZack

Registered
Reaction score
Yeah it does look like that and this was my assumption.

DocZack

Registered
Reaction score
Their website is about attracting authors, not selling books to readers. That's a red flag.

So if a foolish but desperate new writer sent her his manuscript on request for review but did not sign anything, how much trouble did he just invite into his life?

Perks

delicate #!&@*#! flower
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jamie-mason.com
So if a foolish but desperate new writer sent her his manuscript on request for review but did not sign anything, how much trouble did he just invite into his life?
That's the wrong question. Why would said foolish, desperate writer do this? What has foolish, desperate writer done to have this as his choice?

-Has he edited the manuscript until it shines?

-Has he sent it to a few trusted & honest readers?

-Has he developed a query letter with people who are willing to help (as in AW's Query Letter Hell?)

-Or has he thoroughly researched small presses that accept unagented submissions?

-Or has he thoroughly researched what self-publishing will offer him and demand of him?

If the answer to these questions is 'no', then the hypothetical writer really needs to examine why he's desperate. If it's that he's impatient or tired of rejection, that's not really the path to success.

AncientEagle

Old kid, no need to be gentle.
Registered
Reaction score
I was turned off by her letter. The language, style, and punctuation leave a little to be desired. For example, "the brilliance that beholds authors"—what the hell is she talking about? And they are to both "find and discover." I think that's called being redundant. And then there's the comma splice, easy to see so I won't reprint it, where she uses a comma when a semicolon is demanded. When I taught effective writing, this was a three-point, i.e., major, error.

Old Hack

Such a nasty woman
Super Moderator
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score

Agreed.

I'm wondering what the hook is, though. They don't ask for money at all, so that seems to make me think that it is not a scam or am I a bit naive?

It doesn't have to be a scam to be a bad idea.

It depends. If they grab rights to all submissions then that foolish but desperate new writer (that's so harsh...) might be stuffed. If not, all he has to do is withdraw his submission.

I can't see any real benefit from working with these people, but I haven't looked into them in any significant way. If you want to self-publish then you're probably better off doing the work yourself; if you want to be published by a publisher, approach the better, more well-established ones first.

Moving this from E-Publishing to BR&BC.

JulieB

I grow my own catnip
Registered
Reaction score
45% on the net isn't bad, but how is the net calculated? Why do they capitalize Authors everywhere?

And yes, the other errors suggest this site was put together in a hurry.

They're also touting a workshop from Hay House.

Here's the link to the workshop on the Hay House site. I'm not convinced the two entities are connected.

Torgo

Formerly Phantom of Krankor.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
torgoblog.blogspot.com

Looks more like an ebook publisher than anything else. They want submissions, pay royalties (net of proceeds, though), and provide publishing services. So they'd appear to make their money the way any publisher would - by sharing in the proceeds of book sales.

But I don't see:

a) evidence of any track record in publishing for the company - it seems brand new;
b) evidence of any track record for the principal, Ms Diaz - there's nothing I could see on the website to say who she is or what her expertise consists of;
c) evidence that they're very good at procuring web design services, as their site is full of clip art, poor layout, and somewhat egregiously a picture of Amanda Hocking.

If I were an author looking for a publisher, I would tend to cross them off my list of companies to consider until I saw all of that change.

tbrosz

Got the hang of it, here
Registered
Reaction score
Website
tomalanbrosz.wordpress.com
If you are looking to publish an e-book (Kindle, Nook, etc.), most people don't need to pay an expert to manage this. The websites where this is done practically walk you through it.

Assuming you have a manuscript in good shape to start with (edited, proofed, and critiqued), the mechanics of getting the book into digital form can be learned. I did it, and I'm no genius by a long shot.

Now I'm trying to learn the marketing end. Being a genius would be a big help right now.

Torgo

Formerly Phantom of Krankor.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
torgoblog.blogspot.com
If you are looking to publish an e-book (Kindle, Nook, etc.), most people don't need to pay an expert to manage this. The websites where this is done practically walk you through it.

Yeah, but just to split hairs for a second, that isn't publishing an ebook. That's making an ebook available for sale, which is indeed a fairly simple procedure.

tbrosz

Got the hang of it, here
Registered
Reaction score
Website
tomalanbrosz.wordpress.com
Yeah, but just to split hairs for a second, that isn't publishing an ebook. That's making an ebook available for sale, which is indeed a fairly simple procedure.

You make a good point. I guess the question in this case (from my point of view) is what this publishing company can deliver in the marketing area to make them worth their percentage. A lot of marketing outlets and social sites on their list are accessible to anyone.

Last edited: