PDA

View Full Version : Has anyone ever told you being a writer is sexy?

sunandshadow
06-21-2012, 02:03 AM
I've heard people describe being a musician, a visual artist, an actor, or a poet, as a sexy trait. Even someone who is good at telling entertaining anecdotes at parties. But I don't think I've ever actually heard anyone say that about novelists or short story writers. What about you all?

RichardGarfinkle
06-21-2012, 02:11 AM
My wife has.
But I don't agree.
Visual artists on the other hand...

Miss Plum
06-21-2012, 02:47 AM
Hah, considering how much time I spend in pajamas, face unwashed, no makeup . . .

thebloodfiend
06-21-2012, 03:04 AM
You've never heard that? Really? I thought the sexy, alcohol addicted, troubled writer who looks like a grungy James Franco was a cliche. Perhaps I'm mixing him up with the sexy, alcohol addicted, wannabe architect who looks like Joseph Gordon-Levitt.

WildScribe
06-21-2012, 03:06 AM
Most people just look at me like I'm crazy, and many of them edge away as if it's contagious after the following conversation:

"I'm a writer."
"No, but what do you do for your real job?"
"I'm a writer..."

Dreity
06-21-2012, 03:07 AM
I was a dancer (tap, jazz, ballet) before I was a writer, and experience suggests that I have taken a few steps down on the sexy career ladder. :P People used to make jokes to my husband about my flexibility *eyebrow waggle*, but I haven't heard anything along similar lines since I began to pursue writing seriously.

Funnily enough, my dad, a web developer/code monkey, seems most interested in and understanding of what I do more than anyone else. I never would have thought the two activities would have so much in common. It makes sense though. Both careers are often discussed by the public with either wide-eyed, ignorant amazement or over the top "you just ran over my dog and my 2 year old" rage.

lorna_w
06-21-2012, 03:09 AM
rotflol

ladyleeona
06-21-2012, 03:19 AM
Ha. No. Though if anyone ever did, I'd do my best to prove it to 'em ;)

(In that I'd go, like, brush my teeth or something.)

Filigree
06-21-2012, 03:24 AM
Never. But then, I usually just tell people I'm a commercial artist and technical writer. By the time I explain that I make art to match people's furniture and write grants for boring government projects, the askers have usually wandered away.

I guess things will be more interesting when I can say "I write erotic fantasy and science fiction. Sometimes with dudes banging dudes."

Mclesh
06-21-2012, 03:25 AM
Hah, considering how much time I spend in pajamas, face unwashed, no makeup . . .

This. Hahaha. My poor husband.

Nymtoc
06-21-2012, 03:30 AM
Most people just look at me like I'm crazy, and many of them edge away as if it's contagious after the following conversation:

"I'm a writer."
"No, but what do you do for your real job."
"I'm a writer..."

:Thumbs:

WildScribe
06-21-2012, 03:37 AM
I guess things will be more interesting when I can say "I write erotic fantasy and science fiction. Sometimes with dudes banging dudes."

I totally think that's sexy! :D

Drachen Jager
06-21-2012, 03:38 AM
Funnily enough, my dad, a web developer/code monkey, seems most interested in and understanding of what I do more than anyone else. I never would have thought the two activities would have so much in common. It makes sense though. Both careers are often discussed by the public with either wide-eyed, ignorant amazement or over the top "you just ran over my dog and my 2 year old" rage.

They also both involve far more fixing of problems than "actual work".

Oh, and women hanging around all day in their pajamas with no make-up is my idea of sexy. But I guess I'm funny that way.

Mclesh
06-21-2012, 03:51 AM
Oh, and women hanging around all day in their pajamas with no make-up is my idea of sexy. But I guess I'm funny that way.

You are now my favorite person. :)

Beachgirl
06-21-2012, 05:02 AM
What's not sexy about bloodshot eyes, a carpel tunnel wrist brace and mumbling to myself? :Shrug:

willietheshakes
06-21-2012, 05:08 AM
I decline to answer this question on the advice of my attorney.

lorna_w
06-21-2012, 05:12 AM
I'll put up my old eyeglasses held together with a paper clip and unbrushed tangle of hair against your wrist brace and pajamas any day, ladies.

"What are you wearing, baby? yesterday's wrinkled shorts and that t-shirt with the hem ripped out? oooh, yum. Poverty totally turns me on. Now tell me about the past-sell-date bread you had for lunch. (pants)"

No, that's not yet happened to me. I'll let you know when it does.

triceretops
06-21-2012, 05:23 AM
I dunno, teenage girls hug me a lot--no not my own. I think they're thrilled with the idea and most of them say they've never, ever met a real writer before. That's the reaction I get when company comes--huge families that know my sister.

Nothing sexy. Just misplaced hero worship.

tri--who'll take a hug any day.

Xelebes
06-21-2012, 05:30 AM

"I'm a writer."
"I'm a writer..."

"I'm a technical writer. I write manuals for narrative projects as well as the narratives themselves."

Beachgirl
06-21-2012, 05:34 AM
I'll put up my old eyeglasses held together with a paper clip and unbrushed tangle of hair against your wrist brace and pajamas any day, ladies.

"What are you wearing, baby? yesterday's wrinkled shorts and that t-shirt with the hem ripped out? oooh, yum. Poverty totally turns me on. Now tell me about the past-sell-date bread you had for lunch. (pants)"

No, that's not yet happened to me. I'll let you know when it does.

:roll:

Manuel Royal
06-21-2012, 06:03 AM
Reminds of this from the movie Finding Forrester:

Writing [even] a bad book will get you laid.

lastlittlebird
06-21-2012, 06:14 AM
This is making me think of an interview where Kevin Smith was talking with Neil Gaiman and Amanda Palmer.
At one point she left to go to the loo and Kevin started saying that since Neil is a writer, he had to have scripts prepared for when they have sex.
"It's never just let's do it, is it? It's more like, hang on... We're in a forest primeval... you're a fairy princess and I am a giant..."
I'm not sure if that makes writers sound more, or less sexy :)

Hilarious interview if you wanna check it out (http://smodcast.bandcamp.com/).

MysteryRiter
06-21-2012, 06:40 AM
I think this wins thread of the month.

cmi0616
06-21-2012, 07:03 AM
Hmmm... there was this one girl in high school who edited for the school's literary magazine and was definitely into me because she'd read some of the pieces I wrote. I suppose that's the closest I've ever come to being told that my writing is "sexy".

I think there is something to the fact that writing is not out there for everyone to see in the way that acting or singing is. It's not something that you can personally show off or perform, really, at least not in the same manner as a guitarist or an artist might. A novel, especially, is a very private experience, and one that takes longer for somebody to experience than a song or a painting.

I wish writing was considered sexy though, I really do.

quicklime
06-21-2012, 07:34 AM
I've heard people describe being a musician, a visual artist, an actor, or a poet, as a sexy trait. Even someone who is good at telling entertaining anecdotes at parties. But I don't think I've ever actually heard anyone say that about novelists or short story writers. What about you all?

some have....either folks who know nothing about actual writing, or occasionally someone who thinks I'm better than I am :-p

CrastersBabies
06-21-2012, 07:41 AM
Only really creepy people have said that to me, in like a low, Batman voice. So, yeah....

CrystalCierlak
06-21-2012, 11:47 AM
No. But if someone thinks your writing is sexy then I guess that's pretty much the same thing, right? Not that anyone has ever told me my writing was sexy. But maybe one day!

Manuel Royal
06-21-2012, 02:47 PM
No. But if someone thinks your writing is sexy then I guess that's pretty much the same thing, right? Not that anyone has ever told me my writing was sexy. But maybe one day!I'm not an erotica writer, but I gave it a try once, and a lady said it "did the job". I guess that's good.

mccardey
06-21-2012, 03:00 PM
Well - Thothguard once asked me for a lapdance...

(whatever that is)

:granny:

writerjohnb
06-21-2012, 03:00 PM
No one has accused me of being sexy, but many readers have asked me what drugs I take. Just this morning, a co-worker who just bought a book of my short stories, suggested that if I ever have to take a urine test, I'll be out of a job.

JohnB

Ken
06-21-2012, 03:51 PM
... I think poets are considered "sexy," so long as they've got the looks to back it. At least that's the impression I've got when going to readings on occasion and glancing about the audience. You should see some of the expressions. Nothing short of lust.

LadyV
06-21-2012, 05:51 PM
Most often I just get strange looks, especially when I tell the person I write fantasy. It's even more awkard because I'm not actually published, so I have to tell them I'm an "aspiring" author, which in my opinion in a fancy term for "wannabe."

But at this point in my life, I'm used to people thinking I'm weird.

seun
06-21-2012, 07:00 PM
Yeah, I often got girls before I met my wife by saying: "Hey, baby. I'm a writer. Want me to modify your verb?"

mccardey
06-21-2012, 07:01 PM
Yeah, I often got girls before I met my wife by saying: "Hey, baby. I'm a writer. Want me to modify your verb?"

No, you didn't. That's just something your wife tells you. You've forgotten, is all....

seun
06-21-2012, 07:03 PM
No, you didn't. That's just something your wife tells you. You've forgotten, is all....

I got my wife by splitting her infinitive.

mccardey
06-21-2012, 07:04 PM
I got my wife by splitting her infinitive.

I hope she comes in here and sees that. And then I hope she writes a book about what happened after she saw it.

Really.

I so do.

JimmyB27
06-21-2012, 07:08 PM
Has anyone ever told you being a writer is sexy?
Only that handsome chap who lives in the mirror.

stormie
06-21-2012, 07:16 PM
When I tell people I'm a writer, they get that glazed-over look.

I remember several years ago, Martha Stewart tried doing a show
pitting teams against each other, similar to Donald Trump's "The Apprentice."
Her first show was about two teams working to write and illustrate a picture book.
Real sexy, real interesting. *stormie rolls eyes*

The show was cancelled shortly thereafter.

Renee Collins
06-21-2012, 10:58 PM
This is making me think of an interview where Kevin Smith was talking with Neil Gaiman and Amanda Palmer.
At one point she left to go to the loo and Kevin started saying that since Neil is a writer, he had to have scripts prepared for when they have sex.
"It's never just let's do it, is it? It's more like, hang on... We're in a forest primeval... you're a fairy princess and I am a giant..."

My crush on Neil Gaiman just increased by 29 points. :D

lastlittlebird
06-22-2012, 12:11 AM
Well, to be fair I think he was blushing so much you could tell even though it was a podcast :D

Bubastes
06-22-2012, 12:15 AM
"Here, let me fix your dangling participle."

Xelebes
06-22-2012, 01:07 AM
As for the question at hand, only if you are a librarian - and that only counts if you're a female. Because I don't know if any women drool or have preference for the male librarian stereotype.

Petropunk
06-22-2012, 05:49 AM
I think it depends on the personality. In my case it might be tricky because I'm also a musician.

Some people have thought it's attractive. I'm neurotic and complicated and drink too much sometimes, but mostly I'm pretty grounded.

Depends on how you work it. If that's your only trick, people generally find it boring. But I find writing itself forces you to put your finger in enough pies for experience or information that people can actually be interested in what you're doing.

Priene
06-22-2012, 12:47 PM
As for the question at hand, only if you are a librarian - and that only counts if you're a female. Because I don't know if any women drool or have preference for the male librarian stereotype.

Don't let Seun hear that.

seun
06-22-2012, 01:03 PM

Don't let Seun hear that.

:e2brows:

CrastersBabies
06-22-2012, 07:12 PM
If they saw what I looked like after a 12-hour binge at the kitchen table in my PJs and bath robe, I'm not sure anyone would think writing is "sexy" anymore.

Phaeal
06-22-2012, 10:39 PM
The guys in my on-line RPG thought my writing was so sexy they all begged me to create female characters for them to get cozy with.

I ran a LOT of female characters, and my main character was in such demand she did half of Star Fleet.

Yeah. Writers can be sexy. At least in ink and bytes.

:D

quicklime
06-22-2012, 10:50 PM
I'm just gonna say it: I think Seun is sexy.

quicklime
06-22-2012, 10:50 PM
(uncomfortable silence)

mccardey
06-22-2012, 10:58 PM
(uncomfortable silence)

It's getting kind of awkward now, isn't it? I wonder if Thoth could come in and do one of his nice little lapdances?

Whatever that means...

:granny:

CrastersBabies
06-22-2012, 11:07 PM
Thoth does lapdances? Uhhh, why did I not know this?

Jamesaritchie
06-23-2012, 12:57 AM
I've been married for almost thirty-three years. Neither of us were writers when we met, but she's still the only sexy woman I know.

Do others think I'm sexy because I'm a writer? There are no others.

swvaughn
06-23-2012, 01:30 AM
Thoth does lapdances? Uhhh, why did I not know this?

Actually, I believe Thoth *accepts* lap dances. :D

I've been married for almost thirty-three years. Neither of us were writers when we met, but she's still the only sexy woman I know.

Do others think I'm sexy because I'm a writer? There are no others.

Aww. James, you're really just an old softie, no matter what your user title says. :)

ohthatmomagain
06-23-2012, 01:37 AM
The other day, I wrote over 6,000 words, edited 30 pages for someone else, then got a request for a full for my manuscript so I spent some times just looking it over again before I sent it...

The next day my eyes were shot. My voice was cracking. And I sounded terrible. I felt 'real' sexy that day, let me tell ya ;)

gettingby
06-23-2012, 04:42 AM
Good writers are totally sexy. Bad ones not so much.

TheRajinski
06-23-2012, 07:33 AM
Sexy? No. Waste of time? Yes. ;)

SomethingOrOther
06-23-2012, 08:11 AM
Yeah, I usually lug around a typewriter wherever I go, set it down in plain view, and write with a rose in my mouth while squinting off into the distance, my shirt unbuttoned and billowing in the wind. The only bad thing is the numerous solicitations for sex make it impossible to get any writing done, and even when I do, my squinting off into the distance makes my finished product an assorted jumble of random letters, but other than that, it's a very productive process. :)

seun
06-23-2012, 02:43 PM
I'm just gonna say it: I think Seun is sexy.

Well, you're only human. :tongue

Celia Cyanide
06-27-2012, 03:54 AM
Good writers are totally sexy. Bad ones not so much.

Hey! You take that back! anyone who has seen my avatars with my real pics knows I'm sexy, and I'm a terrible writer!

I also cannot believe no one has posted this (NSFW):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e1IxOS4VzKM

Sunflowerrei
06-30-2012, 11:46 AM
What was it that Robert Downey, Jr. said while presenting an Oscar with Tina Fey? Something about good-looking people (actors) and "sickly little mole people" (writers).

Laughed my butt off at that banter. So no, no one has ever told me that being a writer is sexy. Weird and scary, yes. Sexy, no.

littlemissmacb
06-30-2012, 12:49 PM
Is being a writer sexy??? Uhhhh I just started so I'll let you know... wait.. I mean I'll let you know if anyone says I am.. ha ha.
I think getting motivated to do ANYTHING is sexy... when you get to work on what ever your passion is... is sexy.. cooking, singing, so YES.. a great big YES!!! Writers are sexy!!!:tongue

Kitty27
07-01-2012, 02:25 AM
I've never been told such a thing. My brother mainly talks about the monetary compensation and trips to Jamaica he expects to receive for enduring my insanity.

Celia Cyanide
07-01-2012, 07:39 PM
What was it that Robert Downey, Jr. said while presenting an Oscar with Tina Fey? Something about good-looking people (actors) and "sickly little mole people" (writers).

Wow. What if you're both? I adore RDJ, so I'm genuinely curious what he would think.

Yorkist
07-02-2012, 05:11 AM
I've gotten it before - one dude I know described it as "writer sexual mystique," which brought forth howls of hysterical laughter on my part, y'all. If only people knew to what extent writing took place in a state of hygiene most politely described as "unideal."

A text can be sexy (or not (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Old_Man_and_the_Sea)). The writer who produced it can be sexy (http://www.vagobond.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/11/Ernest-Hemingway1.jpg). Mixing the two? Weird.

Anyway, the first time you guys hear of someone who finds my day job (accounting) sexy, lemme know. The jargon is about the least sexy thing I've ever heard. Hmm, your minority interest in the net assets of my subsidiary... Mmmm, I'd like you to amortize my bonds... Nope, nothing I can do with that, I'm clearly not a good enough writer yet.

Loving this thread.

SomethingOrOther
07-02-2012, 05:27 AM
The jargon is about the least sexy thing I've ever heard.

"Hey girl," he says, swaying his crotch, "I have some accounts," pointing to his crotch, "in need of auditing."

She looks and says, "Better call the cops. Looks like someone has emptied your account."

#

From one S.O. to another: "A lot of time has passed, but my love for you hasn't depreciated."

Yorkist
07-02-2012, 05:41 AM
"Hey girl," he says, swaying his crotch, "I have some accounts," pointing to his crotch, "in need of auditing."

She looks and says, "Better call the cops. Looks like someone has emptied your account."

#

From one S.O. to another: "A lot of time has passed, but my love for you hasn't depreciated."

"Which depreciation method would you prefer?" He asked. "Straight-line? Last in, first out?"

"Depends on your residual value," she purred, massaging his... OK, gotta stop, laughing too hard.

ETA: Dammit. Now I'm thinking about all the various ways one could package or deliver their accounts payable, and is there a market for hilariously bad business-themed erotica?

Marvelous
07-05-2012, 05:38 PM
Haha. Yes. This past weekend as a matter of fact. I was flattered.

Bubastes
07-05-2012, 05:48 PM
"Which depreciation method would you prefer?" He asked. "Straight-line? Last in, first out?"

"Depends on your residual value," she purred, massaging his... OK, gotta stop, laughing too hard.

ETA: Dammit. Now I'm thinking about all the various ways one could package or deliver their accounts payable, and is there a market for hilariously bad business-themed erotica?

I'm convinced that the jargon in any field can be turned into erotica if you have a dirty enough mind. I remember reading a dirty short story filled with electrical engineering jargon a while back (alas, I can't recall the specifics, but I'm sure it's floating around the interwebz).

GiantRampagingPencil
08-22-2012, 12:03 AM
But I find writing itself forces you to put your finger in enough pies . . .

*snicker*

I think if I knew a writer chick with glasses and a British accent, I'd fear for my fidelity to Mrs. GiantRampagingPencil.

RichardGarfinkle
08-22-2012, 01:07 AM

I'm convinced that the jargon in any field can be turned into erotica if you have a dirty enough mind. I remember reading a dirty short story filled with electrical engineering jargon a while back (alas, I can't recall the specifics, but I'm sure it's floating around the interwebz).

Rule 34:
http://xkcd.com/305/

AlishaS
08-22-2012, 08:42 AM
This...

"I'm a writer."
"I'm a writer..."

Sometimes it's followed by a comment about how I'm lucky my husbands job allows me to be privileged enough to stay at home and play on my computer.

I'm a stay at home mom... who, suprisingly enough, does not write during the day... because I'm a stay at home mom-- that's more my "real" job which tends to be followed by comments like... I'm lucky my husbands job allows me to be privileged enough to stay at home, play on my computer and raise my son.

So, yeah, not sexy. I often don't tell people. It seems to be a sore spot among family, friends and random strangers.