Co-Written Work...Pseudonym?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Snappy

A new year, a new avatar
Registered
Reaction score
Met with wonderful agents today (Sr. and Jr. agent). They are awesome ladies. We talked over many things, one of such...the possibility of a pseudonym for co-written work.

Long story short, joint project is currently on sub. They don't want to shop my individual project at the moment because joint project is in the same genre, hence same editors. So...

What are the pros and cons of a pseudonym for joint project?

My feeling is a) it will be more work to come up with another online presence b) no cross-promotion for joint and individual projects if they are published under different names c) since it is same genre it is direct competition, if different names d) won't editors ask to see other work regardless of pseudonym or not? (agents feel they can shop both projects more easily with a pseudonym for joint project)

Thoughts? HELP!

Mods, please move if this forum isn't appropriate. Thank you!

Filigree

Mildly Disturbing
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.cranehanabooks.com
My only thought is that you'd better really like and trust your co-author. And even then, it might be safer to draw up a legal agreement about use of that pen-name and the project.

This just my gun-shy paranoid reaction, after a very sad experience in co-writing years ago.

Snappy

A new year, a new avatar
Registered
Reaction score
My only thought is that you'd better really like and trust your co-author. And even then, it might be safer to draw up a legal agreement about use of that pen-name and the project.

This just my gun-shy paranoid reaction, after a very sad experience in co-writing years ago.

Oh yes, absolutely. We already have contracts written up, signed and dated with each other as well as with our agents for everything. If it comes to a pen name, those will be updated too. Thank you for your input. I'm sorry the experience didn't go so well for you. :(

KalenO

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.houseofegoandmadness.blogspot.com
Met with wonderful agents today (Sr. and Jr. agent). They are awesome ladies. We talked over many things, one of such...the possibility of a pseudonym for co-written work.

Long story short, joint project is currently on sub. They don't want to shop my individual project at the moment because joint project is in the same genre, hence same editors. So...

What are the pros and cons of a pseudonym for joint project?

My feeling is a) it will be more work to come up with another online presence b) no cross-promotion for joint and individual projects if they are published under different names c) since it is same genre it is direct competition, if different names d) won't editors ask to see other work regardless of pseudonym or not? (agents feel they can shop both projects more easily with a pseudonym for joint project)

Thoughts? HELP!

Mods, please move if this forum isn't appropriate. Thank you!

Hey, first off, not the worst situation in the world to have to deal with, so congrats on that!

Some thoughts on your bullet points:

A) It will be more work to come up with another online presence for promo/marketing - so you have to weigh what's the best use of your time. On the other hand, you'd only be doing half the work there, assuming your writing partner can be trusted to pull her share, and that gives you some flexibility. Also keep in mind that if you end up with two simultaneous deals, thanks to using a pen name for one, that's already a heavy workload just in terms of the actual writing, editing and revising - so based on what you know about your own work patterns and ethos, is that kind of workload manageable in the first place?

B) No cross promotion for projects under different names - not necessarily. Depends on the project, what editors/houses you land with, and your agents. From my understanding, noncompete clauses are pretty standard, but that doesn't mean all editors/houses feel the same way about competing works in the same genre. They might not be averse to you using linked pen names (ie, the books are published under different names on the shelves, but you can still link to them on your site and make clear you wrote them). Plus something else to consider....in terms of what YOU want for YOUR career, how do you rank cross promotion over multiple revenue streams? True, worst case scenario you might not be able to publicly direct readers of one book/series to your other book/series in the same genre, but you'll still have two books/series out simultaneously. Again, not the worst problem to have if it comes to that.

C) 'Direct competition' is a bit of a misnomer. What's true for publishers isn't necessarily true for you, the writer. When readers find something they like, they tend to want more of the same. Most readers have favorite genres, and they try to read (or at least look for) as much as they can find in that genre, to widen their options. When publishers talk about direct competition, they mean they don't want readers reading YOUR book, published through them, and then going to a rival publisher to find another book like it. They don't necessarily mean that reading is a zero sum game and readers are only going to read x number of sci-fi books for instance, and they don't want them to fill their quota on another publishers' books. So if the book they buy from another publisher after reading yours is ALSO yours, just under a different pen name, its hardly direct competition for you. You can't compete against yourself. Whether they end up just buying Book A, Book B, or both books, its all money in your pocket either way.

D) Editors WILL ask to see other work regardless of genre if they like your first submission. However, here it just comes down to output. Editors, unlike readers, DO have a quota. They just don't have the budget or space to publish as many books as they'd like, as quickly as they'd like. So sure, they might by your co-written book, and then be willing to buy your solo book in the same genre, but now they have to fit both books into their publishing lineup/schedule, so you're likely looking at a much longer publishing timeline than if you published both simultaneously through different publishers. So ultimately, it just comes down to your output, and what pace you write at. If you can write quality work at a pace faster than a single publisher can easily accommodate, then that's a point in favor of a pen name and another publisher.

Snappy

A new year, a new avatar
Registered
Reaction score
D) Editors WILL ask to see other work regardless of genre if they like your first submission. However, here it just comes down to output. Editors, unlike readers, DO have a quota. They just don't have the budget or space to publish as many books as they'd like, as quickly as they'd like. So sure, they might by your co-written book, and then be willing to buy your solo book in the same genre, but now they have to fit both books into their publishing lineup/schedule, so you're likely looking at a much longer publishing timeline than if you published both simultaneously through different publishers. So ultimately, it just comes down to your output, and what pace you write at. If you can write quality work at a pace faster than a single publisher can easily accommodate, then that's a point in favor of a pen name and another publisher.

Thank you for all of your feedback! Great advice. With this, does a pseudonym matter in this situation? For example if I publish a book under A and sign a contract, won't the publisher have first right of refusal on the next book regardless what name it is under?

jjdebenedictis

is watching you via her avatar
Registered
Reaction score
One of the pros is easier branding. Fans don't have to remember two names, the bookstore isn't confused about which name to file it under, and you can have the more gregarious person do the interviews.

Michael Slade is a pseudonym for a collaboration. I believe there's one fellow who is a constant, but he usually works with at least one other person on each of his novels.

KalenO

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.houseofegoandmadness.blogspot.com
Thank you for all of your feedback! Great advice. With this, does a pseudonym matter in this situation? For example if I publish a book under A and sign a contract, won't the publisher have first right of refusal on the next book regardless what name it is under?

I'm pretty sure it depends on the contract and how your agent(s) negotiate the noncompete clause specifically. I have friends with experiences all across the board in this. One friend's contract specified her YA publisher gets first look at her next YA book no matter what pen name she intends to publish it under, but she's free to shop adult novels without checking with them first. Another friend has a YA novel under contract which allows her to shop other YA's around under different names. Another has a sci-fi YA, and her contract states her publisher gets first look at any future sci-fi works, but says nothing about fantasy or contemporary works. The mileage varies radically, and it ultimately boils down to what direction you and your agent plan for your career, and what wiggle room they're able to negotiate in your contract when it comes to next works.

dangerousbill

Retired Illuminatus
Registered
Reaction score

It's not paranoid, it's good business. If a book takes a year to write, everyone will have forgotten the details of their handshake agreement, and will be inclined to bend them in their own favor without intending to do so.

It's usually disastrous to enter into a long-term project without all the terms in writing, whether or not anyone intends to enforce it as a contract. Be sure to look at all possible ways the project can go south: a member who quits, dies, or otherwise disengages; proportion of ownership in the book; individual responsibilities; sharing of costs and profits; etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.