Musk ox sighted in Alberta

Xelebes

Delerium ex Ennui
Registered
Reaction score
If you don't know, Musk ox is a tundra beast. They don't adapt to forest life well, which is what they must do before they get to the grasslands. However, there seems to be a herd heading south and we don't know why. They're encountering wolves, grizzlies and wolverines for their first time and they appear to be doing okay. The question is: why are they moving south?

FYI: The 60th parallel, roughly the area where the musk ox is sighted, is the most southern the musk ox have been sighted. There was a sighting of a musk ox in Fort Resolution on the 62nd or 63rd parallel.

CBC Article

kayleamay

I'm on the phone.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
They're clearly trying to distance themselves for the Nazi base in Antartica.

Bird of Prey

Benefactor Member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Could be the magnetic poles are shifting. . . .

icerose

Lost in School Work
Registered
Reaction score
Sounds like they're adapting rather than dying out. It will be interesting to find out how well they do.

mccardey

Self-Ban
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Yeah - but - it's just the one musk ox, right? As far as the article goes, it's just one musk ox...? So what I'm thinking is some soccer mum was doing the carpool and sat her ox up on the roof of her car for a moment just while she searched for the keys and then she drove off...

I've done that.

Not with a musk ox.

With a kangaroo. But still...

veinglory

volitare nequeo
Self-Ban
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.veinglory.com
I am not sure wandering around in search of food is "adapting". It is at best "attempting to adapt (outcome not yet known)" a.k.a. "being stressed".

veinglory

volitare nequeo
Self-Ban
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.veinglory.com
Probably for much the same reasons their ancestors moved North.

iMHO, probably not. The moved north to fill a certain niche. In absence of that niche they may move around a bit and then go extinct. Evolution doesn't normally work on a time scale of years or decades. The won't suddenly become forest animals just because the tundra is stuffed up..

mccardey

Self-Ban
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Clearly it's a male musk ox. 'Cause otherwise he'd stop and ask for directions, right...?

Roger J Carlson

Moderator In Name Only
Registered
Reaction score
iMHO, probably not. The moved north to fill a certain niche. In absence of that niche they may move around a bit and then go extinct. Evolution doesn't normally work on a time scale of years or decades. The won't suddenly become forest animals just because the tundra is stuffed up..
Most likely their ancestors had adapted to ice age conditions farther south and moved north with the retreating glaciers.

Xelebes

Delerium ex Ennui
Registered
Reaction score
Oh cool. And good question. Here's another question; can they be tamed and ridden on?

If not, what are they still doing there? ;)

There are some tame muskox but I don't think they would make terribly good riding beasts - they only rise up to the belly. Tame muskox are mostly used for their hair.