What do you like to listen to when you write? (If Anything)

KylaRoxYourSox

Sink or Swim? How about float...
Registered
Reaction score
I find several different artists inspiring while I write. Noah & The Whale, Matt & Kim, Hollywood Undead, the Dirty Dancing Soundtrack,etc,.. it's all relaxing in a weird way. What's your muse?? :D;)

Caitlin Black

Wild one
Registered
Reaction score
I always listen to music when I write. It's always whatever happens to be in my playlist at the time.

Actually, that's a lie - for one novel I was only listening to Cradle Of Filth and Chalice.

But generally, if my computer's on, I'm either watching a DVD or listening to music while doing something else. The playlist changes periodically.

For instance, for about a month I only had metal on the playlist. Then I added all my old goth CDs. Then last week, female-fronted pop groups.

On my laptop, my playlist is every CD I own.

Top bands, though?

(Metal)
Cradle Of Filth
Astarte
Chalice
Arch Enemy
Nightwish
Within Temptation
The Agonist

(Other)
Sisters Of Mercy
Bauhaus
Lily Allen
Katy Perry
Madonna
Lady Gaga
The Veronicas
Paramore

:)

Kerosene

Your Pixie Queen
Registered
Reaction score
Music with energy and a good beat.

Beck
Bernhoft
Dave Mathhews and Tim Reynolds
John Mayer (old guilty pleasure)
LCD Soundsystem
MuteMath
Radiohead
Red Hot Chili Peppers (old, old writing buddy here. Possibly 1million words to them)
The Chemical Brothers
The Dear Hunter
The Killers (Hometown band)
The Mars Volta

I've been listening to Grimes's Visions and loving every second while writing lately.

katci13

creative genie
Registered
Reaction score
It depends. If I'm trying to block out external noise anything will do. I prefer to write in complete silence with just the keyboard clickity clacking in the background. That and the air conditioner.

But sometimes music helps me inspire me through certain scenes. This can range anywhere from metal to hip hop. I'm partial to playing Evanescence the most whenever I want some background noise. I also like to play Opera music in the background. These two are my go to as first music choice for general background noise. Classical and New Age also work well. Mythos is the best for New Age music. ^_^

Kerosene

Your Pixie Queen
Registered
Reaction score
I mention The Red Hot Chilli Peppers in the prologue to the book I've just started writing. :)

They were much better back when they were doing drugs.
Now it's a fifty something in tight shorts prancing around with their experiences in a stripper bar.

Times change I guess.

Pallas Athene

Registered
Reaction score
I usually listen to podcasts versus music when I write- I get distracted singing along to the music, but podcasts seem to be the happy medium between complete silence and complete distraction.

Ginger Writer

Writing like a madwoman
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
I don't always listen to music when I write. Sometimes I vary it up--yesterday, for instance, for some pretty intense scenes, I listened to ACDC. Generally, if I'm having a hard time writing, I can listen to the Harry Potter soundtracks and find motivation/inspiration. That's my go-to music pick if I feel like I'm just bashing my head against the keyboard.

ETA: I also like listening to Gaelic Storm when I'm in the mood to listen to music as I'm writing.

Last edited:

Wesley Kang

the Light of Dawn
Registered
Reaction score
I made a book theme super mega mix on my itunes. Threw in a bunch of songs that seem to fit the general feel of my book. And away we go.

LadyV

Tree Hugger
Registered
Reaction score
I listen to classical. A lot of it's relaxing and there's no words to distract me. I just can't write in silence.

shadowwalker

empty-nester!
Registered
Reaction score
I can't listen to music when I write, but I prefer to have the TV on in the background as white noise. It's basically something to concentrate against.

kayleamay

I'm on the phone.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Usually, nothing appeals to me more than silence. But on the odd occasion that my brain needs background noise, I listen to movie soundtracks or really mellow stuff that I can easily ignore if I choose to.

rhymegirl

It's a New Year!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Hmm. Funny how this thread topic has never come up before. :D

I listen to music after I write. It's my reward for writing. I'm into Adele these days and some classic rock stuff.

lorna_w

Hybrid Grump
Registered
Reaction score
The strange little critters yammering inside my brain. Silence. Or a fan or A/C.

Kerosene

Your Pixie Queen
Registered
Reaction score
I agree completely, although the song I reference is Scar Tissue because it has one of my favorite lines in it that one of my characters thinks of when she is high.

My MC's name is Emma. She's named after the Bon Iver song, For Emma.

On my dedication page, it simple says "For Emma". For both the song and my character.

I'm still amazed there isn't many people that listen to music while writing.
I don't pay attention to the music, so I choose stuff I really know well and can block out. But it keeps me at a beat and kinda influences my mood.

Maybe it's a practiced skill? Or maybe I never stop listening to music. I'll wake up whistling a song and go to bed singing one.

Speaking of Bon Iver, they (he) just came out with the Itunes Session. Which is pretty good and I wrote my Summer Fantasy Challenge to it.

kayleamay

I'm on the phone.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Right now I'm listening to three boys argue while constantly turning up the volume to Cartman singing I Swear on South Park so they can hear it over their own voices. Not inspiring.

BigWords

Geekzilla
Registered
Reaction score
Lately, this - it has the additional benefit of keeping small people out of the room while the album is on... :D

Xelebes

Delerium ex Ennui
Registered
Reaction score
The sound of ten Tu-95s taking off and landing right outside my door.

Wind Ann Wise

The Quiet One
Registered
Reaction score
I usually just listen to whatever I'm in the mood for. (Lately I've been on a 3 Days Grace kick, so a lot of that.)

Solanova

Not your average Panda
Registered
Reaction score
Website
chaos-flare.deviantart.com
oh gosh, I listen to EVERYTHING haha.

Final Fantasy X piano collection, Ellie Goulding, Paramore, Parabelle, various J-pop singles and artists.

It depends on the story really, or the part of the story I'm writing. for slower parts, classical music is nice, or something ambient like BT. For fighting or darker sequences, something a little harder like Taproot or Evans blue/Parabelle. I kind of like my writing to match the music i'm listening too haha.

Escape Artist

Plotting her escape...
Registered
Reaction score
Walking the fine line between cute and creepy...
Kind of depends on the characters...

Evy and Gryph are into trip-hop and dubstep (and other genres along those lines that I'm not at all sure what they're called - Eurodance, etc.). Gryphon likes Massive Attack and Wax Tailor in particular and Evelyn likes artists like Cookie Monsta, Bassnectar, Mt. Eden, Trentemoller, Purity Ring, Nero, Feed Me, Sneaker Pimps, Deadmau5, etc.

Ray (because he's semi-sorta based on my celebrity crush Chris Cornell) is into Audioslave, Soundgarden, and he also likes classic rock bands like Led Zeppelin (who doesn't?) and The Rolling Stones. But usually, because he's this kind of depressed and self-deprecating guy, his songs tend to be masochistic or self-loathing, etc. That said, he does love oldies stuff when it comes to those romantic moments - "Only Have Eyes for You" by the Flamingos, "Let's Get It On," songs like that. To him, the new "love" songs aren't about love at all.

These are my strongest, most thought-out characters (I've been obsessed with them for quite some time now, I admit) so other characters haven't really told me what they like yet...