• Read this stickie before posting.

• In order to reduce the number of new members requesting a Beta reader before they're really ready for one, we've instituted a 50 post requirement before you can start a thread seeking a Beta reader.
    • You can still volunteer to Beta for someone else; just please don't request someone to Beta for you until you're more familiar with the community and our members.

Beta for a YA Fantasy

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tiffanie

...should spell her name with a "y"
Registered
Reaction score
I’m looking for a beta for the first few chapters of my finished YA fantasy novel. I have edited it once or twice, but you can only read something so many times before it all becomes floating gibberish.

To summarize, my novel is about a seventeen-year old immortal girl whose older sisters/guardians are kidnapped on the exact same day the people that are hunting her family find her. That’s basically the first chapter. The rest of the book consists of traveling to other realms, avoiding psychopathic blackmailing demons, flirting with the occasional king, trying to stay sane while being the host to a grumpy dark power and, of course, rescuing aforementioned sisters.

In the ideal world, I would simply send you the first chapter (maybe the prologue, too). I’m mainly looking for someone else to share their thoughts, feelings and concerns with me since my brain is a spaz. The reason I posted this here and not in SYW (aside from the obvious post requirement) is because I would like someone to read the whole 28 chapters, but figured I should just try to get one read before I whip the whole thing at some poor, unsuspecting person.

I’ll do a swap. PM if you’re interested.

[Warning: Occasional violence and swearing]

Uncarved

I aim to misbehave
Registered
Reaction score
with ten posts you may have to contribute a bit more and be part of the community before you'll get a response. At 50 posts you can post up excerpts in the Share Your Work board for critiques. Contribute more to the community and I'm sure that people will respond and help out.

And welcome.

lambauman

Registered
Reaction score
Tiffanie, I agree with Uncarved. I don't mean to discourage you. In fact, I quite appreciate your well-written post. However, it is generally a good idea to participate in the forums first, get to know some people and let others have a chance to know you.

It is not that they don't want to help you. In fact, people are very kind and helpful here. But a lot us have also been burned by newcomers who were disrespectful to their beta-readers. (Even I, who have not been here that long at all, had one such experience.) That makes people very cautious.

Welcome to this forum. It is a wonderful place for writers. Just takes some getting used to but it is well worth it.

Tiffanie

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks for the advice. And the welcomes. I'll try to see what I can contribute :)

meowzbark

Registered
Reaction score
Tiffanie,

I wanted to say that your story definitely looks promising and in my genre of choice. I'm not available at the moment for more Beta-reading, but I look forward to seeing your work posted in SYW when you hit 50 posts. Best of luck!

Unimportant

No COVID yet. Still masking.
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
[Warning: Occasional violence and swearing]
Oooh, irresistable! ;)

I can't tackle 28 chapters at the mo, sadly, but I'll look for this one in SYW in due time.

Tiffanie

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks, meowzbark. Hopefully others will think it's promising as well.

Unimportant, it's good to know swearing and violence isn't frowned upon in YA. Most of the YA I've read keeps it clean.

Now, if only I could think of forty more things to say before this decade ends :)

Unimportant

No COVID yet. Still masking.
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Now, if only I could think of forty more things to say before this decade ends :)
If only someone could shut me up! ;)

I reckon the easiest way to hit the 50 post mark is to hop down to Share Your Work and write critiques of other people's stories. They'll remember your name, and when you post your own story, they'll return the favour.

Status
Not open for further replies.