Credits in a Query Letter

JohnnyGottaKeyboard

Who let this guy in...?
Registered
Reaction score
On the rooftoop where he climbed when the laughter
RESURRECTED To add a Follow-Up Question down at Post #12 -- Thanks to anyone who has the answer!

I have a query letter that describes the story etc., but, for a particular agent, I am considering adding the following credit (obviously, it would only apply to that particular agent):

I am the author of two published works, <TITLE ONE> and <TITLE TWO>, as well as a third novel scheduled for release in September of this year. My debut novel as well as the forthcoming novel are both published by <PUBLISHER>, who has also published two novels by your client <CLIENT'S NAME>. In fact, <CLIENT'S NAME> penned a review of my debut novel for the website <REVIEW SITE NAME>.

Obviously, everything in the <>s will be replaced with actual words, but I wanted to be candid.

Is that considered acceptable? Is it too much? Will it help at all? Could it hurt?

Thanks!

Last edited:

Susan Coffin

Tell it like it Is
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.strokingthepen.com
I think it sounds great, but I am a little confused as to why you would not mention your publishing credits (minus the personalized client connection) in every query letter you sound out? Have two published titles and one in the works sounds like excellent credits to mention.

JohnnyGottaKeyboard

Who let this guy in...?
Registered
Reaction score
I think it sounds great, but I am a little confused as to why you would not mention your publishing credits (minus the personalized client connection) in every query letter you sound out? Have two published titles and one in the works sounds like excellent credits to mention.
Oh, I will mention them, I was more concerned about the "your client" business. The generalized letter has the line: "I am the author of two published works, <TITLE ONE> and <TITLE TWO>, as well as a third novel scheduled for release in September of this year."

katci13

creative genie
Registered
Reaction score
It all sounds great, except for the last line. That sounds a little too much in my opinion. But if you want it there, by all means put it in, it's your letter. But yeah, the rest of it sounds great.

Susan Coffin

Tell it like it Is
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.strokingthepen.com
Oh, I will mention them, I was more concerned about the "your client" business. The generalized letter has the line: "I am the author of two published works, <TITLE ONE> and <TITLE TWO>, as well as a third novel scheduled for release in September of this year."

Cool beans. It sounds like you've had some wonderful successes.

MrsBrommers

Registered
Reaction score
The publishing credits are great to mention, but I am also a little leery of name-dropping the client that reviewed your work. It could be construed as the client's endorsement of your work or a referral, which the client may or may not be okay with. You might want to contact the client before name-dropping him/her in the query like that. Just a thought.

Becca C.

Registered
Reaction score
The publishing credits are great to mention, but I am also a little leery of name-dropping the client that reviewed your work. It could be construed as the client's endorsement of your work or a referral, which the client may or may not be okay with. You might want to contact the client before name-dropping him/her in the query like that. Just a thought.

This is a good point I didn't even think about -- do you really have to say "[blah] Press, which published titles by your client"? The agent probably sold those titles, so they'll know the publisher you're talking about. You probably don't even have to mention the client's name at all.

Zeddo

Talk to the hat
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.allanjemerson
I think it's fine to mention the client's name and draw attention to the website comments. The client posted the review, so presumably intended to publicly recognize the writer's ability. IMO, anything that makes the agent aware that a successful client is impressed with the writer's previous work can only be positive.

dclary

Unabashed Mercenary
Poetry Book Collaborator
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.trumpstump2016.com
I would only use the first half of that:

I am the author of two published works, <TITLE ONE> and <TITLE TWO>, as well as a third novel scheduled for release in September of this year. My debut novel as well as the forthcoming novel are both published by <PUBLISHER>.

But I think it's personal preference. Many agents I know say a paragraph with some credits can only help a query -- it shows them that other people have said "yes" too.

OctoberLee

Destroying something beautiful
Registered
Reaction score
I'm sure someone more knowledgeable than me will chime in here, but I think the whole point of the caps is to draw attention to the book you want to SELL... I would guess italics would work for previously published books. .

DennisB

Banned
Reaction score
I guess I'm behind the curve here. You are published and are about to be published again, but you're looking for an agent?

JohnnyGottaKeyboard

Who let this guy in...?
Registered
Reaction score
Um...Yes?

I doubt it's unprecedented or even uncommon. There are many presses you can sub to without an agent. I do not expect my credits will give me much of a leg up (in fact, here's a blog post of Nathan Bradford's about how it can actually hurt my chances), but any interested agent is sure to find out I've had three books published, so I figure it's best to be upfront!

Last edited:

JanetReid

Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
All book titles are in caps. Magazine names are in italics. Article titles are enclosed in quotes.

CrastersBabies

Burninator!
Registered
Reaction score
I use italics. I pretty much use same format as I do on my C.V. for publications which seems to be close to APA/MLA citation format. But that's me. Never had an issue with it. I only use prior publications relevant to the genre I'm submitting, though, unless it's won an award of some kind.