• Basic Writing questions is not a crit forum. All crits belong in Share Your Work

Like getting the last of the toothpaste from the tube?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Layla Nahar

Seashell Seller
Registered
Reaction score
I just don't know. I have been writing this chapter for ages. My MC has just arrived at the shrine where my object is to eliminate his fighting man, thus leaving my MC alone and feeling responsible for two deaths to find the bad guys. BUT - in the meantime, I've acquired a Seer, and a posse, one member of which is the Seer's husband. It's begun to be clear that the Seer will head off with the MC to hunt down the bad guys who killed her husband - so now I have to kill two people out of seven and the only weapon I have is the shrine. Great, you say, go knock em dead, tiger, you say. Problem is *how* do I get that to happen. (Yes, I know I'm the only person who can answer this question.) There's the blocking of people's movents, but more importantly, the logic of the magic that will be used as a weapon. That last part is the hardest, and facing it is the biggest part of what's slowing me down. If I have a question it's something along the lines of - can anyone relate? Has anyone ever had a passage to work on that really really slowed them down? I've slowed down something like 20% or 10% of what I was doing when I was at full swing. It's very discouraging...

Violeta

All I Ever Wanted Was The World
Registered
Reaction score
My answer is yes.

I keep finding new ways to "tell" my scenes, and that is distracting, to say the least. I lose a lot of time
deciding which way to go, and then, when I have it written, I can still change my mind and it's the same all over again.

Layla Nahar

Seashell Seller
Registered
Reaction score
I keep finding new ways to "tell" my scenes, and that is distracting, to say the least. I lose a lot of time
deciding which way to go, and then, when I have it written, I can still change my mind and it's the same all over again.

Ach! Sounds terrible. I wonder which is worse - doing it over & over different ways, or taking ages to get clear on one tiny item.

DanielaTorre

Registered
Reaction score
I'm not quite understanding what you mean. Is it that you don't know the particular mechanics of the magic, or is it that you don't know how to get certain characters out of the scene in order to leave just the MC?

Layla Nahar

Seashell Seller
Registered
Reaction score
Yes. I have a lack of clarity about the mechanics of the magic. I want to get the characters out of the scene by killing or injuring them. But, given what clarity I have, it's looking like I need a two birds one stone effect since I want to eliminate two characters. So getting them believable to the right physical location is important.

(thanks for that question!)

DanielaTorre

Registered
Reaction score
I had that same dilemma. It was the MC and two of his friends. I was having a hard time figuring out how to leave the MC by himself.

It took me about a month to think of how to do this... and then I had an epiphany and figured it out.

Since your world involves magic, you probably did a lot of world-building, dropping little clues here and there about certain magical items, people, etc.. Use this world-building as a foreshadowing device.

For example: EDITED BECAUSE OF REASONS.

Go back to something that you may have already established. Think about how it would work in your favor. Cleverness goes a long way.

Last edited:

Layla Nahar

Seashell Seller
Registered
Reaction score
Wonderful post Daniella, thank you for sharing that!

buz

edits all posts at least four times
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I have horrible, horrible problems with logic. I had to go through roughly forty bajillion (maybe just forty I dunno) revisions in order to figure out the "logic" behind my MS, and there are still some blank spaces. (Hopefully they are irrelevant spaces.) For me, it's more like smashing bone into powder with my forehead. (...I don't know why you would pulverize bone into powder. Could probably sell as an aphrodisiac. Whatevs.)

But yeah. I'd get stuck almost every chapter, push through, make something up, keep going...find out it didn't work, revise...ugh. The whole thing is just a bad obnoxious process. There's always something. "Okay, I have to bring this character back from death"; "Okay, they're in a hole and now they have to get out," "okay, she's in a situation where she will definitely die unless the potential murderer has some reason not to" blah blah. But I found that, magically, a lot of the answers that I finally came upon wove together nicely...

(I think...)

Anyway. Yes. I can relate. Me and logic are not good together. :D I think I should really force myself to make a rudimentary outline or something from now on...

Kerosene

Your Pixie Queen
Registered
Reaction score
I've always given my characters tool to find their way out of a situation.

If they have a problem, it's not my job to figure it out, it's theirs.

Start thinking in the character's position, find how you would escape the situation and then write it.

lorna_w

Hybrid Grump
Registered
Reaction score
Take a bath. Candles. Close your eyes. Don't think directly about it. Stay immersed until wrinkled. I've had amazing ideas come in the tub.

Freewrite or make quick lists of ideas you don't care are goofy or do a cluster, some less logical brainstorming process to get you, eventually, to the logically viable idea.

Swear that you'll throw the danged novel away and vow to become an oyster shucker instead. Okay, maybe not that one, but i was listing what I've done in such cases in the past. This never helped, actually.

good luck!

Layla Nahar

Seashell Seller
Registered
Reaction score
Anyway. Yes. I can relate. Me and logic are not good together. :D I think I should really force myself to make a rudimentary outline or something from now on...

Glad to hear it. & I dunno - I buy the idea that thinking too far ahead is part of the problem... (In case you wanted to hear an opinion about that) (Oh - & part of the logic problem - which I always face - is that I started out with an idea, and then I said - well I'll figure out *that* when the time comes. Well, the TIME HAS COME... (that sounds nice & doomy, duzn't it?))

If they have a problem, it's not my job to figure it out, it's theirs.

Interesting thought - thanks!

Take a bath. Candles.

Oh. That sounds nice.

swvaughn

adrift
Registered
Reaction score
Things I've done when a scene is giving me grief, which may or may not work for you:

--Scream at my stupid characters to stop being stupid (doesn't work)

--Start the scene over from scratch, again and again, with different opening points and/or different POVs (works, but is an enormous PITA)

--Stop writing. Spend some time thinking about all of these things: the rules of the world, the characters' motivations, the characters themselves, some scene in the future that this scene will affect, whether the scene is really necessary (sometimes works, sometimes leads to massive revising of other parts of the book to make what was figured out during brainstorming fit).

--Run about madly for a few days wailing and gnashing teeth, complaining that Stupid Scene is Stupid and I Hate It and Want The Whole Book to Die. Realize the scene doesn't work because IT'S THE WRONG SCENE. Write the correct scene. (works, takes time, costs more of my dwindling supply of sanity)

--Think logically about what needs to happen in the scene in order to advance the sto--oh, wait. I've never done that...

Anyway, I've unfortunately found that 9 times out of 10, a scene doesn't work because it's the wrong scene, and I need to backtrack until I figure out where I made a wrong turn in the story, and start reworking from there. Not the funnest thing ever. Especially this one time that I had to do this with a whole entire novel that I'd written completely wrong...

TL;DR version: Perhaps you've taken a wrong turn somewhere, and either need to change something that comes before this scene, or write a different scene before you get to this one?

Layla Nahar

Seashell Seller
Registered
Reaction score
Oh. The scene I'm writing now? It's the repair scene after I took a wrong turn...

I really like all your bullet points - I've pretty much tried them all. (Well, something external 'forced' me to stop writing for a week.)
My sanity supply is getting pretty low as well...

ps - I just did a nice tiny slog - and then at the end I did a face-palm - wrote out aaall this blocking, got everybody off thier horses, in formation and then I realized I introduced a logical contradiction (argh! bane of my existance - 'well if he A, why didn't he just B... grrrr) - But! - I was able to save the day (well, the paragraph) with one well placed incident of cussing.

Architectus

Registered
Reaction score
Why not show us one of the MC's has a sword earlier in the story?

Silver-Midnight

Registered
Reaction score
rising from the depths of a cup of coffee
I just went through this same problem a while ago. The best advice I can give: think on it. Move around the room, listen to music, try acting out the scene. Things like that. Sometimes just sitting in silence (not staring at the screen in front of you) can help as well. Just work your way through it. And if you don't like what you do, you can always change it later. :)

Layla Nahar

Seashell Seller
Registered
Reaction score
I just went through this same problem a while ago. The best advice I can give: think on it. Move around the room, listen to music, try acting out the scene. Things like that. Sometimes just sitting in silence (not staring at the screen in front of you) can help as well. Just work your way through it.

Yah - I mean - what else can one do in this situation, right? BUT - what's really hard is that a writer writes, right? So you have to show up and write every day, (well, five days out of seven) like a job, and keep at it. That's the hardest part. What on earth do you write when your stuck??? (Only answer is - whatever you can. But sometimes it's such a discouraging pittance compared to when things are really flowing)

And if you don't like what you do, you can always change it later. :)

I dunno. It was hard enough just to change this one scene...

ETA: I have more clarity since starting this thread. It really helps to communicate with others about it -
(thanks AWers!)

Status
Not open for further replies.