Not open for further replies.

veinglory

volitare nequeo
Self-Ban
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.veinglory.com
I am very stumped trying to find a good general review of the use of animals in music, e.g. animals as symbols, animal noises in music, music about animals. Any tips?

TheIT

Infuriatingly Theoretical
Registered
Reaction score
I've seen books on symbols which describe associations for different animals, but not necessarily in music. Maybe the New Age or Folklore section of the library or bookstore might give you a jumping off point. The Children's section, too?

The only musical "symbol" piece I can think of offhand is Peter and the Wolf. Didn't that have different instruments for each type of animal?

Eveningsdawn

Just Sing.
Registered
Reaction score
There are 2 traditional Newfoundland songs (Concerning Charlie Horse, and Tickle Cove Pond) that are all about horses that fall into ponds. They can be found on the CD "The Hard and the Easy" by Great Big Sea. If that's the kind of thing you want, I have a bunch I can tell you.

DaveKuzminski

Preditors & Editors
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Website
anotherealm.com
Eiko said:
I used to listen to "Peter and the wolf" by Sergei Prokofiev, a russian compositor, when I was a kid. It is a musical fairy tale where the animals (wolf, duck, bird, cat) are expressed by different instruments and themes. (See also: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Peter_and_the_Wolf)

Speaking of which, does anyone know of a version without the narration?

veinglory

volitare nequeo
Self-Ban
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.veinglory.com
I really need general points like

'The main uses of animals in music are a) animals as themselves, b) animals representing humans and c) animals as symbols.'

etc

I can just decide this for myself but I really think someone more expert must have already done so? As an encyclopedia writer I am really meant to be summarising not creating.

Status
Not open for further replies.