infection

barnhijl

Registered
Reaction score
Ok my MC is bitten by a big lizard (think komodo dragon like - it's a fantasy novel) while she is in the jungle. I have several questions... I thought I already did enough research on the topic but a few beta's have pointed out parts that were wrong... any help would be appreciated! I don't want my MC to die from infection... I just want her to suffer.

1. How fast would an infection take place?
2. how bad would it get and how quickly?
3. How would it look?
4. How would it need to be treated?
5. What would make it worse (the heat? the humidity?)
6. Is there a way to delay the infection, like would covering it make it take longer to settle in?
7.Also how would a character act if their leg was all infected? (could they walk, how long before they would get a fever and so on..)

thanks so much for anyone's help! I back tracked through the forum but couldn't find anything like this so sorry if it's a repeat. any additional information would be wonderful! :D

espresso5

Registered
Reaction score
A komodo dragon has a type of venom that disables bitten prey so the lizards can track them down when the prey weakens and can't put up much of a fight.
1. By infection I'm assuming you mean the visible response/result. The presence of a pathogenic microorganism initiates infection, which would be immediate.
Most lizards have quite a bit of bacteria in their mouth. Inflammation would happen relatively quickly (minutes to a couple of hours). Whether the infection progresses to something more serious depends on the type of bacteria and if it's able to bypass the body's initial defense.
2. The inflammation could look bad and be painful after an hour or two, but resolve in a couple of days if the infection is contained.
3. Swollen and red, with some tissue damage around the tooth punctures, which might be purplish or even blanched white.
4. Assuming we're not dealing with any venom, antibiotics.
5. Nothing should make it particularly worse. I suppose excess heat might increase the edema or speed with which the inflammaion occurs.
6. Not really. Ice could slow some of the inflammatory process.
7. As long as there is no severe tissue damage, they should be able to walk just fine until they're disabled by fever and/or sepsis, which would occur after a couple of days if the body's initial response did not resolve the local infection and bacteremia, septicemia and maybe sepsis sets in.

Siri Kirpal

Swan in Process
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Sat Nam! (Literally "Truth Name"--a Sikh greeting)

If you want your character to live, don't have her bit by a komodo dragon. Their venom is nearly always lethal.

Blessings,

Siri Kirpal

barnhijl

Registered
Reaction score
thanks for the info espresso.

siri: It's not a komodo dragon, it's just an easy comparison. (again, it's a fantasy novel)

also with caring for the infection I meant more like how would you clean the wound?

Kenn

New kid, be gentle!
Registered
Reaction score
You could delay it as long as you like if the infection comes from the environment rather than the bite. In which case, covering it up would probably delay the onset. The extent of the symptoms would depend on the health and the severity of the infection. So you can probably make them as bad as you want. You could use a natural antiseptic to treat the wound (and there are probably ones to treat the fever, etc.), but I don't know much about these.

barnhijl

Registered
Reaction score
hmm.. I'll have to look into antiseptics. I don't really have any medical knowledge so this whole issue has been a pain.

thanks for all the info though :)

Kenn

New kid, be gentle!
Registered
Reaction score
hmm.. I'll have to look into antiseptics. I don't really have any medical knowledge so this whole issue has been a pain.

thanks for all the info though :)
It's probably worth checking out something on jungle survival. I have a feeling that coconut water (for example) is good stuff to clean a wound, but I don't really know.

espresso5

Registered
Reaction score
with caring for the infection I meant more like how would you clean the wound?

Depending on the level of tissue damage, flush it with sterile water and wrap it in sterile gauze. You can go the H2O2 and /or betadine route as well if you have some available.
You can try swabbing out a puncture with a Q-tip coated in betadine or H2O2 if the character isn't going to get to the hospital any time soon.

Unimportant

No COVID yet. Still masking.
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Infection from an animal bite will probably be from bacteria in the animal's mouth. If the bite tears open the flesh a lot, then bacteria from the environment (dirt, etc) will also get into the wound. How fast infection sets in depends on how much bacteria get into the wound at the start.

At first the infection will be localised just to the wound site, so you'll want to clean it out as fast as possible. In a pre-industrial society, that means flushing all the dirt out with copious amounts of clean water, and then sterilising the wound as best as possible, usually by pouring some kind of alcohol over it (brandy, etc). Some pre industrial societies also used honey (which provides a clean 'coating' over the wound, is itself sterile, and often contains natural antibiotics) , or "old wives' remedies" like mouldy bread (which often did work because the mould in fact was penicillin!).

Once the infection spreads through the tissue, it's a lot harder to treat, and often the limb will need to be amputated; when the infection gets into the blood, the person is pretty much a goner without antibiotic treatment.