• Basic Writing questions is not a crit forum. All crits belong in Share Your Work

Starting Ch. 1 in a POV Other than Main Protag

Status
Not open for further replies.

LadyV

Tree Hugger
Registered
Reaction score
I've been curious about this for some time.

In the first draft of my novel, chapter 1 begins with my main protag. But after I had it critiqued (not here), I found that it was confusing and not very pertinent to the overall plot. It was sort of like an introductory action scene of movie. So instead, I'm thinking of taking a later chapter in the book and making it the first, even though it features a secondary protag. This character is not one-off and has a decent role throughout the story. The chapter also introduces the main threat.

I'd just like to know if this is a good/bad idea.

Reservoir Angel

Angelic by name, fiendish by nature
Registered
Reaction score
Sounds like a good idea. Really, having the first chapter as a character other that the primary protagonist has been done a lot. My first chapter is from the POV of a thief who promptly gets murdered before the chapter's end, all to set up some hints of the main antagonist/threat of the thing.

Basically, as long as the chapter serves a purpose to the narrative, be it introducing characters or introducing the main threat of the novel, it shouldn't be a problem at all.

DanielaTorre

Registered
Reaction score
I agree with resevoir angel. My ms starts with the MC's father's POV and transitions the the MC's within the same chapter.

Just make sure it's a smooth transition.

ArchaWriter

Registered
Reaction score
I like a main threat coming off quickly.
But two things: Moving the chapters around might be a little unorganized.
Cement the first chapter and engross me.

DanielaTorre

Registered
Reaction score
Oh, btw. The only thing about starting an ms out with a character other than the MC is that it runs the risk of coming off as a prologue.... and often enough, a prologue is unnecessary.

Kerosene

Your Pixie Queen
Registered
Reaction score
I can only see starting this way if the real MC is highlighted, in some way, by the POV character. As if introducing him in some way.

Other than that, the entire scene would have to be so essential to the plot that you wouldn't be able to start the story without the scene.

Susan Coffin

Tell it like it Is
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.strokingthepen.com
I've been curious about this for some time.

In the first draft of my novel, chapter 1 begins with my main protag. But after I had it critiqued (not here), I found that it was confusing and not very pertinent to the overall plot. It was sort of like an introductory action scene of movie. So instead, I'm thinking of taking a later chapter in the book and making it the first, even though it features a secondary protag. This character is not one-off and has a decent role throughout the story. The chapter also introduces the main threat.

I'd just like to know if this is a good/bad idea.

My advice is to drop those characters into "the situation" and take it from there.

So, if that later chapter introduces the main threat, could it mean that the chapters prior to this one are all unnecessary, or contain back story that needs to be woven throughout?

If that first chapter is not pertinent to the story, then it probably needs to be pulled.

I have no opinion on which POV to start the story from. I advise to do whatever works.

blacbird

Registered
Reaction score
Lots of famous stories, and long series of stories, are narrated wholly from a first-person POV other than that of the protagonist: the Sherlock Holmes tales from Conan Doyle, and the Nero Wolfe mysteries from Rex Stout are prime examples.

But those don't change POV, ever. As a reader, I think I'd find a narrative with an opening in some other POV, then a shift to first-person protagonist POV a bit jarring. And, from your post, this sounds vaguely like a "prologuy" info-dump. Your instinct to lose it is probably correct.

caw

rwm4768

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
I don't know what genre you're writing, but in epic fantasy, you frequently see books that start out with a POV character who is not the MC. I think it depends on how much your story is focused on that character. If you have a large cast of POV characters, a sole MC often doesn't assert him/herself. However, if your cast is small and focused on your MC, you should probably lead off with your MC, or at least make some reference to your MC so that readers know you're going to get to the character talked about in the blurb on the back of the book.

TheSteph

New Fish; Learning to Swim
Registered
Reaction score
the answer depends on the POV...

I think that if your POV will be shifting thruout, as many authors do successfully, then it's fine to start with a character who's not the MC, and to start in a place that is not strictly chronological. But it depends on the context of the story and how it's being told. You need to think about what works for your story, try both ways and see what works.

Sunflowerrei

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.michelleathy.com
Well, here's my question: is the POV third person? How much of a role does this secondary character have throughout? I guess your MC will be introduced in the second chapter, then. I like the idea of introducing the conflict right off the bat.

Bufty

Where have the last ten years gone?
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
In the opening a reader is looking to settle down with a character. If the main protagonist can be introduced from the start, that would be preferable.

Usually it's obvious when the opening has a throwaway POV character like a thief or someone who gets killed.

That's not the same thing as introducing me to, and allowing me to settle down with a protagonist who I then find out is not really the main character with whom I should be connecting.

Just mentioning.

Good luck.

bearilou

DenturePunk writer
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
yawping barbarically over the roofs of the world
I can only see starting this way if the real MC is highlighted, in some way, by the POV character. As if introducing him in some way.

Other than that, the entire scene would have to be so essential to the plot that you wouldn't be able to start the story without the scene.

He said what I was thinking.

As a reader, I expect to see the MC as soon as possible. By giving a secondary the initial limelight, you're setting up a situation where the reader may believe your secondary is your MC and will be surprised to find out later that's not the case. If the secondary some how focuses on the MC, it's gently guiding the reader to shift with the secondary to watch the MC emerge.

In the opening a reader is looking to settle down with a character. If the main protagonist can be introduced from the start, that would be preferable.

Usually it's obvious when the opening has a throwaway POV character like a thief or someone who gets killed.

That's not the same thing as introducing me to, and allowing me to settle down with a protagonist who I then find out is not really the main character with whom I should be connecting.

Him, too.

I'm just really agreeable today. :)

LadyV

Tree Hugger
Registered
Reaction score
There's so much good advice here, I'm not sure if I'll be able to comment on everything. So here's my best attempt.

My book is Urban Fantasy (I guess). It's written in third-person POV throughout the entire book. The first chapter is not a prologue as far as I can tell. The main threat is introduced right then. The secondary character does have an important role in the story. The main MC is introduced in the following chapter then meets the secondary character in the chapter after that.

However, after all your suggestions, it seems to me that the first chapter might work better where I had it originally.

I swear, the more I think this story over, the more convoluted it gets. :gaah

Tiarnan_Ceinders

Registered
Reaction score

This was what I was planning to write as well. I think the first chapter is best served introducing the main character in some way. For a prologue, I'm aware that the character whose POV I'm reading from might not even survive the prologue. But in chapter 1 I expect to meet the MC.

Midian

My sarcasm got the better of me.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
inkslingereditorialservices.com
I have my first chapter starting out in another character's POV but I'm writing in multiple POVs. The MC is the object of the first chapter and it's where they meet for the first time and we get an understanding of what the MC is without really knowing yet.

It's also an UF and I write in a very deep 3rd limited.

I see nothing wrong with it so long as it's a POV you use again. If it's only once, then I would find another way to start.

Also, look at whether you're writing a character driven story or a plot driven story. That'll help you know whether something like this will fly.

Lady Ice

Makes useful distinctions
Registered
Reaction score
As long as the story is apparant.

smellycat6464

Registered
Reaction score
and to this I introduce you to ser royce from GRRM's A game of thrones. GRRM has a habit of having his first chapter in the POV of someone who will end up dying by chapters end.I guess if he did it, it's no sin. Like the above said, its all a matter of execution and it not coming off as prologue :)

Inquisitive_Lass

Registered
Reaction score
In my novel I start the storyline in a action scene, that introduces a conflict from my novel but I mention the protagonist's name, introducing her but she isn't introduced until the second chapter. The novel jumps into the action, my novel goes from differe points of view mainly of the two main characters, I consider the novel their's as its about them and the events surrounding them that helps them grow throughout it. It just feels the best way to introduce the atmosphere through another character rather than either main.

Status
Not open for further replies.