Novel About Romance Between a 30 Year Old & a 16 Year Old Grabs a 7 Figure Deal

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bogna

Registered
Reaction score
Website
bemaslanka.wordpress.com
Tracey Garvis Graves of Clive signed a two-book deal with Dutton & Plume, which she says is worth “seven figures, a good seven figures.”
. . . .
“It’s life-changing,” said Graves, who chronicled her path from rejection to viral e-book sensation last month in the Des Moines Register. “I’m happy for my good fortune and humbled by it. I’m not sure what happened.”

What happened is this: The 45-year-old Clive mother of two rose before the sun and work at Wells Fargo every day and tapped out a steamy novel about a 30-year-old English teacher shipwrecked on an island with a 16-year-old student. She was rejected by 40 book agents and 14 traditional publishers so she spent $1,500 for editing and formatting and posted the e-book on Amazon.com. It sold only 100 copies in the first month, then took off by word of mouth and thousands of positive online reviews from readers.

A paperback was offered and by last week the title rose to No. 7 for e-books and print sales combined on the New York Times best-seller list.
http://www.thepassivevoice.com/06/2012/after-viral-e-book-iowa-author-inks-seven-figure-deal/

What? WHAT?! I know that 16 is the legal age in some states and countries, but this still disturbs me.

Last edited:

kaitie

With great power comes
Registered
Reaction score
Ugh. It's even worse that he's* her teacher. There is so much wrong with that in terms of abuse of power.

*Gotta love my automatic assumption here. Goes to show I should read more of the summary before drawing conclusions.

Last edited:

kaitie

With great power comes
Registered
Reaction score
Whoa, just saw in the other thread that this is one of ours, and a book that we've talked about for awhile. I never realized it was about this topic.

Are you sure it's erotica? Because as someone who has read Lolita, I'm not necessarily opposed to this sort of thing, but it is kind of squicky for me if it is done to be titillating. I do find it interesting that the teacher is actually a woman. Reading the full summary, though, makes me more intrigued. It would all depend on how the relationship was handled and portrayed.

As weeks become months, the castaways encounter many obstacles including violent tropical storms, the many dangers lurking in the sea, and the looming possibility that T.J.’s cancer could return. But as their bond grows stronger with each passing birthday, Anna begins to wonder if the biggest challenge of all might be living with a boy who is gradually becoming a man.
Actually, reading this it sounds like the relationship takes place when they're both older before it turns sexual, which changes things. Sounds pretty interesting, honestly.

kaitie

With great power comes
Registered
Reaction score
The article calls it women's fiction. I'd change the title of this, actually, because it's misleading. It sounds like it's a women's fiction piece about a woman and her relationship that grows over a long period with a person who she wouldn't normally be with.

Hell, that summary you linked sounds like it's intentionally trying to make it sound risque. I'm wondering if someone was hoping to strike a chord with the 50 Shades crowd?

Soccer Mom

Crypto-fascist
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
It's not an erotic novel and there is no sexual contact when he is a sixteen year old. It's women's fiction. The author is a member here. You can actually find the original query letter here. That will tell you more about the story.

kaitie

With great power comes
Registered
Reaction score
The more I'm hearing about this the more I want to read the book. :) I'm going to have to check this one out. I love survival stories.

Bogna

Registered
Reaction score
Website
bemaslanka.wordpress.com
It's not an erotic novel and there is no sexual contact when he is a sixteen year old. It's women's fiction. The author is a member here. You can actually find the original query letter here. That will tell you more about the story.

Ohh thank you. Now I'm annoyed with the website that I found it through. They all make it sound like erotica.

kaitie

With great power comes
Registered
Reaction score
They seriously did, and I don't blame you for thinking that. I'm just glad I clicked the other article like literally two seconds after yours. My guess is someone was trying to either stir up controversy or, like I said, play on the 50 Shades thing.

That's actually the second ridiculously misleading article I've read today. *Goes off to grumble about what the media has become these days*

SomethingOrOther

-
Registered
Reaction score
*Goes off to grumble about what the media has become these days*

Breaking News: SomethingOrOther Pulled Out His Dick

[We'll be back after these messages from our sponsors.]

ens novel and read a dozen pages. When interviewed about the symbolism, he said, "What is a news crew doing in my room? Get out of here." Back to you, Melissa.

Al Stevens

Registered
Reaction score
"On the Island." I bought and read the e-book edition. It is very good. I wouldn't call it strictly woman's fiction, though.

The book is split into two POVs with every other chapter being the other POV as they struggle to survive on a remote island after a plane crash in the ocean and as they deal with the inevitable sexual tension. Without that, the story would not have been believable. The sex descriptions are tame compared to what I see in some of the murder mysteries my wife reads.

Congratulations to Tracey for her success with this work.

backslashbaby

~~~~*~~~~
Registered
Reaction score
Cross-post! Sorry :)

It sounds really good!

Me, if it's a tropical island and I thought we may never get off of it, I could totally see that (depending on how mature the late teen/20-yr-old was). It's an interesting conundrum, how the age difference may or may not matter in such a different environment.

My problem with it might be that the author treats it more prudishly than I might have, lol! If she's way too squicked out, I'd find it hard to relate :ROFL:

Channy

Me Gusta
Registered
Reaction score
Wow, kudos to her. I haven't been here for very long but I recognize seeing her postbit/avatar/name around in some threads. It's so encouraging to see some success stories like this coming from a community you frequent. Maybe we all won't be so lucky to land a 7 figure deal after going to e-pubbing, but surely some of us land 5 or 6 on the first go.. or reach success only as e-pubbers. Whatever the case, that's so great to read. Congrats!

seun

Horror Man
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.lukewalkerwriter.com
Maybe it's a UK thing (our age of consent is 16), but my squick button isn't pushed by the idea of a 30 year old woman getting down with a 16 year old boy any more than it would be if the genders were reversed.

Phaeal

Whatever I did, I didn't do it.
Registered
Reaction score
Heh, takes more than a 30/16 split to squick me out, unless coercion is involved. There could be implicit coercion in any relationship between an authority (boss, teacher, priest) and a subordinate, but I don't think that applies to this book.

kaitie

With great power comes
Registered
Reaction score
That was actually what squicked me out more than the age initially. However after reading the full summary, I'm not really concerned about it anymore. I don't think that's really a factor here, either.

fireluxlou

Registered
Reaction score
All the book bloggers seem quite furious about this book getting a deal on twitter because they are saying it's abuse of power and 'CAN YOU BELIEVE this what it takes to sell a book these days?'.

I recognised the book because I remember her posting around here, I thought 'oh that's great to see she had great success with it!' and they seemed to shoot down my positivity :/

Al Stevens

Registered
Reaction score
That was actually what squicked me out more than the age initially. However after reading the full summary, I'm not really concerned about it anymore. I don't think that's really a factor here, either.
When you read the book, you'll see that it isn't.

kaitie

With great power comes
Registered
Reaction score
I'm sure, Al. My original thought was based on a very biased snippet in the original article mentioned above, which made it sound really awful. I read it to my boyfriend later when I was complaining about it and he had the same reaction I did.

The actual book summary makes it sound awesome, though, and I'm not kidding when I say it's on my list to read now.

kaitie

With great power comes
Registered
Reaction score
All the book bloggers seem quite furious about this book getting a deal on twitter because they are saying it's abuse of power and 'CAN YOU BELIEVE this what it takes to sell a book these days?'.

I recognised the book because I remember her posting around here, I thought 'oh that's great to see she had great success with it!' and they seemed to shoot down my positivity :/

I will not be surprised if this is intentionally made into a big fuss. Which might work out better for it. Controversy sells, after all.

I just wish her the best of luck no matter what happens. This is an amazing deal. The fact that she's already hit the bestseller lists while self-published is so impressive on it's own, though, so just way to go all around for her, you know?

ladyleeona

fluently sarcastic grandma offender
Registered
Reaction score

Ah ha! I was wondering why the the idea sounded familiar--I remember reading that query when it was first posted in QLH. The age difference didn't/doesn't squick me out. I'm putting on my TBR pile, actually.

So Tracey, congrats on the deal and hitting the list:)

To me this is yet another reminder that AW's filled with some verra talented folks. (FWIW, I'm just happy to be here amongst y'all.)

LadyV

Tree Hugger
Registered
Reaction score
I'll admit that I'm a bit of a prude, but after reading this, I'm not offended by the plot. It seems that the relationship wasn't created just to shock the reader, it seem it just happens. And it's not like "Teacher sleeps with student," is anything new nowadays. What I'd like to know is why do these women want to hook up with a kid? Is it a power trip?

Status
Not open for further replies.