• Read this stickie before posting.

• In order to reduce the number of new members requesting a Beta reader before they're really ready for one, we've instituted a 50 post requirement before you can start a thread seeking a Beta reader.
    • You can still volunteer to Beta for someone else; just please don't request someone to Beta for you until you're more familiar with the community and our members.

All set! Thanks for the responses!

Status
Not open for further replies.

loladeee

My Cat Writes Better Than Me
Registered
Reaction score
So, I posted this in the introductions section...but I realized that it should probably go here...

As a writer, I've been going at it alone for a while. A lot of family/friends aren't into it like I am, and I have a hard time finding people who are willing to swap work and give critique.

A lot of times, when I do find someone, our levels of writing and critique styles don't match up.

It's sad, but it's true. Everyone is at a different stop on this writing journey and everyone has their own style when it comes to offering feedback.

And that's perfectly okay. We all grow at different speeds.

That's what I'm here for--to find someone (or many someones!) who are camped at the same elevation on this Everest hike. To find someone who values the same things I do in critique.

My writing level:
I consider myself well written but certainly not an expert. I have a Bachelor's degree in English Writing and a pretty expansive vocabulary. I'm looking for someone who writes at the same level as I do, or perhaps on a higher level. To be honest, I'm not the right person for someone who doesn't already have a good handle on the English language.

My critique style:
I like to be brutally honest and expect the same. To me, critique isn't really a place for feelings. I am where I am because teachers weren't afraid to give me a big fat F for horrible work. It's made my writing so much stronger and I'd love to find someone who feels the same. I don't get offended at all by writing critique; I lap it up. I'd like to work with a similar critique style.

My genres:
I write speculative fiction. I have more SciFi work than anything else right now, but I do also work with Fantasy. I really want a partner who works with these genres as well. If you're easily offended by any topic, I'm not the best person with whom to work.

My length:
I'm a novelist. I pump out a short story every now and then, but most of my work is lengthy. I want to work with someone who's in it for the long haul.

My expectations:
I'm looking for a critique partner but also a friend. We're going to get pretty tense with our honest opinions about each other's prose and I want someone who can switch off "business" mode and chit chat with me about kittens. =P

My strengths:
I'm good with grammar and making sure a plot makes sense. I remember little details and will let you know when there are continuity issues or holes in logic. I can give feedback regarding story arc and pacing.

My weaknesses:
A HUGE amount of my life is filled with business writing and it reflects badly on my fiction; I have a huge problem with voice. I also need someone to keep an eye on my descriptions. I tend to repeat phrases.

I hope that's enough information to give you an idea of what I need and what I'm willing to offer!

Last edited:

areteus

Registered
Reaction score
I might be able to help you out. Send me a PM and we can discuss it.

I have a reasonable level of english, but if you have a degree in it you probably don't need that level of help. I do give good crits of character, plot and setting though :) I, on the other hand, need someone to point and laugh at all my misplaced commas :)

EvieHart

Evie
Registered
Reaction score
I would be more than willing to help you out, if still needed. Especially since you mentioned that most of your work is either Sci-Fi or Fantasy, as both captivate me. I am quite the editing monster, so its rather good you take criticism with a pinch of salt.

Let me know if I can help.

loladeee

My Cat Writes Better Than Me
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks for all the interest, everyone. Fortunately, I'm all set with critique partners now, and am impressed with the great response from this lovely writing community!

Status
Not open for further replies.