Recent experiences with culture

Status
Not open for further replies.

fwc

!eltneg eb ,dik weN
Registered
Reaction score
Hello Absolute Write,

I am going to write in a kind of metaphorical sense because I have had some recent experiences in a cultural change which I need to express in some form.

I was living overseas, I am originally from America, but haven't visited the country for an extended period in many, many years.

Recently, I have returned and I will now write about my experiences to show how I feel and hopefully get some revealing insights into the culture from some of my fellow writers here.

Imagine you were a performer and you had learned a trade which involved a certain style of performance. It wasn't exactly the classic American style, but it had some uniqueness and skill which could generally pull a good crowd.

So you arrange for a performance in this town and are hoping for the best, preparing for the worst. After a performance or two, a disgruntled third-party decides that its not worth having your performance around, so they decide to sabotage it with a cheap trick (for the story's sake, the trick is comparable to guessing a selected card, or hiding a ball under a cup). The audience is a little confused at first, but enjoy the cheap trick, which seemingly steals the thunder from the main performance. The performers understand the trick fairly quickly and show the audience how it was done implying they were setup, but instead of believing them or ignoring the trick, the audience continues to cheer the saboteurs on.

The performers become a little disappointed and then frustrated as they are seeing that its not really the fault of the saboteurs, how ever wrong they may be, but really the fault of the audience who have no sense of appropriate stage play or entertainment.

After a short while, the performers give up trying to impress anyone, and simply decide that the situation is hopeless. They need to find another audience who can really appreciate a good show, rather than trying to convince a bunch of juvenile riff raff that there is something more to entertainment than cheap tricks and gimmicky performances.

Please let me know what you think of this and how you would react in such a situation

bkendall

Registered
Reaction score
While no stereotype is always true, this one about Americans being self-centered and not caring about other cultures is one I have seen very often. I had a similar experience. I lived in upstate New York for a few months right after high school. I loved it and met a whole bunch of great people and learned about a whole new world that I would never have seen in the backwoods of Kentucky. When I got home and tried to tell people about all the differences about New York, no one cared about the differences of another place. They were much more easily distracted by the regular things in Kentucky they were used to. I think close-minded would probably be the most accurate term.

Tex_Maam

not in show business
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.thetexfiles.com
How would I react? I'm not totally sure which part I'm meant to be playing here (audience member or performer), but I think the performers would be well within their rights to be cheesed off at the boors and the loons.

What do I think? I think it's a shitty state of affairs, and I can totally believe that it would/does happen. I *would* be bummed out if that were the end of the story - if the lesson were "Americans are jerks" or "people in general are jerks" - but it'd make an excellent jumping-off point for several possible outcomes. What did you have in mind?

Status
Not open for further replies.