• Read this stickie before posting.

• In order to reduce the number of new members requesting a Beta reader before they're really ready for one, we've instituted a 50 post requirement before you can start a thread seeking a Beta reader.
    • You can still volunteer to Beta for someone else; just please don't request someone to Beta for you until you're more familiar with the community and our members.

January Submission Challenge

Status
Not open for further replies.

JAlpha

Smilie Fanatic
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
diaryofaliteraryfictioneditor.blogspot.com
It's only January 4th, and I have already sent out a record number of submissions for a single month--thirteen
emoteClap.gif

Experience has shown, the more things I send out early, the better return on publication and or prize recognition I seem to reap throughout the year.

Now, for those of you that are eager to grow your list of publication kudos and or trophy shelf in 06, I challenge you to submit a record number of things for the month of January as well. And to sweeten the challenge for unpublished AW writers... this month, I am willing to provide content revision tips and share marketing leads with three AW members who have never had a prose poem or short story published.

I LOVE helping unpublished writers get their first piece published. I was fortunate to be part of a very supportive writing group when I had my first poem published, and I've always enjoyed helping other unpublished writers get their start. Though, of late, I haven't had as much time to do so. Helping out with the editing of some of the work in the SOS project was very rewarding, and I would like to start my new year out on the same positive note. Thus, my January Challenge
smile.gif
That, and the fact that I need to be more productive with the time I spend in the AW water cooler---it's nice to have a rep box full of posts deeming me the "Smilie Queen" but, what would really make me happy this year, would be to know that I actually helped some of my fellow AW members with their writing. My earliest ventures into the SYW threads as a critter weren't very rewarding---there was very little follow through on the submission/publishing status of the pieces critiqued and way too much counter critting of the critters for my taste. So, I'm giving this one-on-one, revision assistance idea a try.

Here's the deal... pm me by January 15th with your 100 word pitch expressing why you would like to have my revision help with your prose poem or short story. Do not pm the piece, only your 100 word pitch. I'll select three pitches that tug my heart the hardest, make me laugh the loudest and/or just make the most sense!

razor sharp revising + submitting = reaping publishing kudos in 06, it's that's easy, honest
smile.gif

Pat~

Luftmensch Emeritus, A.D.D.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
You are totally inspirational, JAlpha!

I'm already published, so can't take advantage of this wonderful offer, but you have inspired me to set a simple writing goal....1 sub/week (yeah, I've always been an "underachiever"! Figure I better start low, and at least stay committed). For someone who's relatively goal-less, this will be a big enough undertaking. :)

JAlpha

Smilie Fanatic
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
pb10220 said:
You are totally inspirational, JAlpha!

I'm already published, so can't take advantage of this wonderful offer, but you have inspired me to set a simple writing goal....1 sub/week (yeah, I've always been an "underachiever"! Figure I better start low, and at least stay committed). For someone who's relatively goal-less, this will be a big enough undertaking. :)

Go Pat! Go Pat! :e2cheer:

If some of those submissions you are planning to make include haiku, I've got a couple of contest leads for you. I'll post them in the haiku thread. If you want to, pm me with an inventory of the things you want to send out, i.e. genre, category, length etc. and whether or not you are open to contests and or nonpaying markets. I keep a huge inventory of marketing leads, more than I can use myself. If I find a match for one of your pieces, I'll send the lead your way.

Go Pat! Go Pat! :e2cheer:

Pat~

Luftmensch Emeritus, A.D.D.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks, JAlpha!! I'll take you up on that--as soon as I organize myself!. I seem to write poetry more than anything else lately...I've never submitted haiku (I've written alot, but am dubious about the quality), so that might be a good place to start. Not into the contests as much, but paying (or quality non-paying) markets would be nice! Subject matter is all over the place, though I do have a fair number of devotional/religious poems, too.

(BTW, never fear...I'm firmly committed to 'playing', too much at times! Balance is my goal...)

JenNipps

Have you JHS today?
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jenifernipps.com
Well if a record number is the goal, I'm already there. lol. I sent out 10 contest entries this morning. Plus I have a couple query letters for nonfiction books that I'm polishing to send out on Monday.

JAlpha

Smilie Fanatic
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
JenNipps said:
Well if a record number is the goal, I'm already there. lol. I sent out 10 contest entries this morning. Plus I have a couple query letters for nonfiction books that I'm polishing to send out on Monday.

Great start to your "writing" year Jen.
smilehooray.gif

Will you please share the source of your motivation?

For me, I got onto the submission wagon about four years ago, becasue quite frankly, I got tired of not putting my submissions where my mouth was....meaning, I got tired of saying I was a writer, but not putting my work out there. Then, once I got some submission momentum going, I actually started to get the results I had been hoping for. Imagine that! Who knew
EmoteROFL.gif

Ken Schneider

Absolute sagebrush
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Hey, I was in SOS, but I had loads of help with my story, plus, people knew my name.

I'm up for a real send out your work to someone who doesn't know you challenge. I have a short story.

So, I'm sending a P.M. 100 words huh? I talk a lot.

Nice thing that you are doing, Jen.

JAlpha

Smilie Fanatic
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
Here's a quick update regarding the progress of my January Challenge. I have started to receive some mighty fine pitches, and I can already tell, it's going to be very hard to only select three.

Regarding those "pitches" that I do not select at this time, perhaps a small crit group can be formed to continue on with the challenge throughout the year. I would be willing to help organize such a group. If that does occur, I will be certain to reconnect with everybody who made a pitch, and give them the opportunity to join a longer term "challenge" group.

For now, keep those great pitches coming my way, and a BIG thank you to mod squad member, Katiemac, and the powers that be in AW Modumland for spotting my challenge and helping to promote it with your "sticky" powers.

I also need to restate that I am making this offer to unpublished authors only. I've received a couple of pitches from AW members who had a piece published in the SOS anthology, and truly that is a fine first publishing credit, and it does exclude you from my "challenge" at this time.

Pitch me, I dare ya :D

Last edited:

JenNipps

Have you JHS today?
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jenifernipps.com
JAlpha said:
Great start to your "writing" year Jen.
smilehooray.gif

Will you please share the source of your motivation?

For me, I got onto the submission wagon about four years ago, becasue quite frankly, I got tired of not putting my submissions where my mouth was....meaning, I got tired of saying I was a writer, but not putting my work out there. Then, once I got some submission momentum going, I actually started to get the results I had been hoping for. Imagine that! Who knew
EmoteROFL.gif

This one's easy. Ten entries went to a contest that I've worked on for the past 2 years. If you know who the judges are, you can't enter. So now that I can enter, I entered a lot. :)

It costs the same if you enter one contest category or as many as you can. $20 for 10 entries is better than $20 for one entry, if you ask me. lol. The entry fee is used to provide the cash prizes.

I have to completely agree with the submissions-where-mouth-is philosophy. I am completely with you on that one, though I'm just getting started on it.

hockeytaxi

Registered
Reaction score
Yoohoo Smiley Queen

JAlpha,

Wow, what a great offer. :Sun: In fact it's too hard to refuse. :D I have been freelance writing for 10 months now and I have sold one article ($25) to a local parents mag and a few to our local newspaper. Please don't scroll away....

But..... I haven't gotten anywhere with my short stories. :cry: I adore Erma Bombeck and would love to publish similar type short stories. I have one that I've written for a rural writing contest and won, :hooray: (I've kept all rights and it was never published) but I've never been able to sell it! :rant:

Enough smilies? Your help would certainly be appreciated. Thanks, Selena

Cassie88

Make mine a double entendre
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
JAlpha, I've written (as a freelancer) 7 books for a company that publishes Children's books. But I never know where to submit essays and poems. I wrote a humor piece sometime ago titled, "No Breasts" about wanting big breasts that never came. I think it's a tight, well-written piece, but I have no idea where to submit it. I have had one short piece published in Woman's World, but I find the other magazine markets unapproachable. I'd love ideas on where to send my "No Breasts" piece.

Cassie88

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
JAlpha, I was looking for a paying market, but I'd be willing to submit to either, really. It's just frustrating to have this piece sit and do nothing, especially, since I feel it's such a good and funny piece. Thanks for replying, JAlpha, I know how busy you are.

WVWriterGirl

Inked Mom
Registered
Reaction score
Argh. Since I'm an SOS alumn, I'm stricken from taking advantage of this wonderful opportunity - ahh, well...Good luck to the rest of ya'll who've sent JAlpha your pieces.

Great idea, too, JAlpha. Like Carole, it's kicked me into "quit gaming and start writing, you darned fool" gear. Thank you!

JAlpha

Smilie Fanatic
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
Cassie88 said:
JAlpha, I was looking for a paying market, but I'd be willing to submit to either, really. It's just frustrating to have this piece sit and do nothing, especially, since I feel it's such a good and funny piece. Thanks for replying, JAlpha, I know how busy you are.

Cassie,

The Erma Bombeck Writing Competition comes to mind--upcoming deadline January 22. The piece has to be no more than 450 words though. You didn't mention the length of your piece. If your article is over that limit, you could still give it a trim and give it a try. http://www.wcpl.lib.oh.us/adults/erma.html

JAlpha

Smilie Fanatic
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
=CAROLE
Thanks for dragging me out of my doldrums. Very inspirational!

WVWriterGirl said:
Great idea, too, JAlpha. Like Carole, it's kicked me into "quit gaming and start writing, you darned fool" gear. Thank you!

You are both very welcome. What can I say, it's something I specialize in

Cassie88

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
JAlpha said:
Cassie,

The Erma Bombeck Writing Competition comes to mind--upcoming deadline January 22. The piece has to be no more than 450 words though. You didn't mention the length of your piece. If your article is over that limit, you could still give it a trim and give it a try. http://www.wcpl.lib.oh.us/adults/erma.html

Thanks, JAlpha, but it's about 1250 words, and shortening it by 2/3 wouldn't work. I have seen this contest and plan on shortening a piece I wrote about a last minute shopping escapade. If you think of any other options, I'd love to hear them. No rush.

Cassie

JAlpha

Smilie Fanatic
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
OK, I admit it, I'm a huge "softy" when it comes to helping writers who are eager to get published--more importantly, eager to make the effort to polish there work.

After receiving some very genuine and personable "pitches", I found it impossible to select only three. And I was also persuaded to make a few exceptions regarding previously published writers.

Here's the list of people I have agreed to share my revision tips with as per my "January Challenge"...

Ken Schneider
Kim GoGo
Hockeytaxi
Trumancoyote
WVWriterGirl
mnmamma
Cassie88
EveningDawn
watcher
JustRite

and one additional AW writer who has chosen to remain anonymous.

Razor sharp revising + submitting = reaping publishing kudos in 06, congratulations to everyone who accepted the challenge :)

katiemac

Five by Five
Registered
Reaction score
Wow, Janet! I scooted over here as soon as I could this morning to find out the 3 lucky winners, and I find 11 names instead. All of them are great members.

Everyone involved, please keep the rest of us up to date on your latest, and congratulations! :D

Ken Schneider

Absolute sagebrush
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
kdnxdr said:
Congratulations to all!!

Congratulations! Congratulations?

Have you seen Jan's sidebar revisions? Yikes.

Just kidding, great thanks goes out to Jan for helping this dummy.

Status
Not open for further replies.