Manhunt for the Mad Padder

Xelebes

Delerium ex Ennui
Registered
Reaction score
So I typically don't post on current topics of the city, but this one got me all caught up. What is up is that one money guard shot up four other money guards, killing three and critically injuring the other, while stocking up cash machines at the Hub Mall, a student residence at the University of Alberta. He fled with the armoured car, raced to the company HQ and grabbed his car, fled home to pick up his mother's car and. . . there the trail goes cold.

Anyways, I was out shopping in the City Centre Mall today and the police stormed in and the shops all shuttered like a western movie. False alarm, fortunately/unfortunately (fortunate that I wasn't there and got to avoid a shootout, unfortunate that the man wasn't captured or killed.)

Looks like it was a fight with his mother that triggered this all. Yeesh.

CBC News

Last edited:

Opty

Banned
Reaction score
Baumgartner is traditionally a German surname, is it not? So why the (sometimes) Irish slur in the thread title?

Anyway, hope they catch the guy soon.

Opty

Banned
Reaction score
Paddy is in reference to a paddywagon (padlocked-wagon.)

You might wanna google that.

The "paddy" in "paddy wagon" refers to the Irishmen ("Paddy," which is both a nickname and a slur) that were arrested and put in it, not a "padlock." It arguably dates back to the New York Draft riots, but that's debatable.

Last edited:

Xelebes

Delerium ex Ennui
Registered
Reaction score
LOL. You might wanna google that.

The "paddy" in "paddy wagon" refers to the Irishmen ("Paddy," which is both a nickname and a slur) that were arrested and put in it, not a "padlock." It arguably dates back to the New York Draft riots, but that's debatable.

That etymology is contested, sir.

Opty

Banned
Reaction score
That etymology is contested, sir.

Well, not in my family and not in any serious intellectual/academic circles that I'm aware of, it's not.

Whether the term "paddy" refers to Irish policemen or Irish prisoners is the debate I've usually seen. That the "paddy" in "paddy wagon" refers to the Irish is not something I've ever seen seriously contested.

I will admit, though, that this is the first time in my life I've ever seen anyone claim it refers to a "padlock."

Xelebes

Delerium ex Ennui
Registered
Reaction score
And this is the first time I've ever seen it refer to Irishmen. Interesting.

Canadian Irish derogatory slang is "Patsy" and "Fitz."

Last edited:

Alessandra Kelley

Sophipygian
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.alessandrakelley.com
That was also the etymology I was aware of. I have never heard the "padlock" story.

"Paddy" is an old, old word for an Irish man. It dates to 1780, in English.

I had hoped you were using some sort of regional slang I didn't know.

Couldn't you just say "Hunt for the Mad Money Guard"? Or something?

Opty

Banned
Reaction score
Well, it's originally an American term, so perhaps the actual meaning isn't well-known in Canada?

*shrug*

I know you didn't mean any insult by it, so I'm not offended or anything. Just wanted to make you aware of the history of the term.

Back to the OP, I hope they catch the guy soon.

Xelebes

Delerium ex Ennui
Registered
Reaction score
Changed the title to "Padder". Keeping with reference to the padlock.

frimble3

Heckuva good sport
Registered
Reaction score
And this is the first time I've ever seen it refer to Irishmen. Interesting.

Canadian Irish derogatory slang is "Patsy" and "Fitz."
I'm familiar with 'Paddy', 'Patsy' and 'Mick', and never heard 'Fitz' as a nickname for 'Irish'.
And, I've always heard that the 'Paddy' in 'paddywagon' was a reference to the Irish, usually as a cargo of drunken Irishmen, sometimes as the Irish policemen manning it.
Maybe it's regional?

Anyway, I hope they get this guy, and quickly. Shooting your own co-workers, who trusted you with their lives in a dangerous business, is even lower than regular bank-robbery.

Alessandra Kelley

Sophipygian
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.alessandrakelley.com
I'm familiar with 'Paddy', 'Patsy' and 'Mick', and never heard 'Fitz' as a nickname for 'Irish'.
And, I've always heard that the 'Paddy' in 'paddywagon' was a reference to the Irish, usually as a cargo of drunken Irishmen, sometimes as the Irish policemen manning it.
Maybe it's regional?

Anyway, I hope they get this guy, and quickly. Shooting your own co-workers, who trusted you with their lives in a dangerous business, is even lower than regular bank-robbery.

Thank you for getting us off that derail.

Yes, it's horrible. It's a betrayal of the trust and responsibility to one's co-workers and one's job.

frimble3

Heckuva good sport
Registered
Reaction score
He was caught at the Abbotsford-Linden Border Crossing.

Edmonton Journal
Thanks for the update and link, I haven't seen the news tonight.
And a big Yay! and thanks to the Lynden Border Patrol/Customs Agency who pulled out all the stops to get him. Police, Army and a fire-truck. I guess they figured that if he'd shot his co-workers, he might go out shooting, and that truck crossing is busy on the weekends, lots of potential casualties.

Oh, what the heck: :hooray::snoopy::kiss::e2cheer::yessmiley for the Border authorities, on behalf of all those people who can go to sleep tonight knowing that this particular fugitive isn't going to show up in their lives tomorrow.
I have family in northern Alberta, honestly, I hadn't even considered that he'd come all this way, instead of straight down to the States. Maybe he thought we wouldn't have heard?

Xelebes

Delerium ex Ennui
Registered
Reaction score
There is growing attention to the high hiring turnover rates within the armoured car company. Two of the victims and the culprit were rookies.

Wages offered are 15.00 dollars an hour (minimum wage is 9.40 dollars an hour) as per this job ad.