Why does Schaffer keep biting me?

Gehanna

Introvert
Registered
Reaction score
Schaffer, one of the new cats living in our home, keeps following me around and demanding attention.

When I give it to him, he bites me. He doesn't bite me hard enough to break skin but it is hard enough to get my attention.

He doesn't bite anyone else like that, just me so far. Why does he do that?

Also, he'll climb on me till he reaches my face and then he'll stick his nose on the end of my nose. Fortunately, he hasn't taken a bite of my nose..yet.

psy7ven

PattiTheWicked

Unleashing Hell.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.pattiwigington.com
When Gypsy the ten-ton calico came to live with us. She did the same thing. She would get so excited when we petted her, that she'd turn around and chomp.

I came to the conclusion that because she had been feral before she came to the cat rescue people, she just didn't know how to show appropriate responses to affection. Whenever she bit me, I'd stop petting her and tell her no, and then ignore her for a while.

After about six months, she stopped doing it, and now she's a delightful, loving, affectionate cat. She's definitely MY cat, tho -- or maybe I'm hers -- because she sees me as the other alpha female in the house.

It may be that because your cat is new, he's testing the waters, trying to figure out where his boundaries are. He'll probably get over this in time.

Gehanna

Introvert
Registered
Reaction score
ytR4KJI - That was Schaffer walking all over my keyboard.

Who needs password generators when you have cats.

I don't think he's trying to bite me now. I'm not sure what he's doing but I stopped jerking my arm away and what happens is that he just pinches up some of my skin in his mouth (with his teeth) and holds it there for a while.

No doubt that Schaffer has claimed ownership of me from the dog and from Madison (the other cat).

Whoever claims that a cat doesn't have a distinct personality obviously doesn't have a clue.

Madison is refined and sophisticated. She is a kitty with class.

Schaffer reminds me of me and I think it's pretty obvious by now what kind of personality Schaffer and I have. lol

psy7ven

cyberwraith

Mumbling darkly
Registered
Reaction score
Linus, my bobcat-earred domestic shorthair, follows me into the bathroom in the wee hours of the morning and test-bites me on the leg. The first time, in the dark like that, it was quite a surprise, but now I've learned to expect it, so I guess I'm trained! :)

He'll also wait for me sitting on dressers, tables and bookshelves to stop me with his paw extended, much like someone passing in a hallway. He's learned to accept getting scooped up, snuggled vigorously and left somewhere completely different.

I cherish my three insane dogs and their energy, but I also adore my two cat's unique ways of reaching out to me.

TheIT

Infuriatingly Theoretical
Registered
Reaction score
My cat Milli (short for Millenium, no I didn't name him originally) is a 14 pound male orange and white tabby who turns into Mr. Cuddles at three in the morning while I'm trying to sleep. After I pet him for a while he'll nip my hand. I think sometimes he's trying to show affection or he's trying to exert control over how hard I'm petting him. He's never tried to break skin.

I had another cat, Rex, a gray and white male, who would jump on my lap for petting, then try to bite when he had enough. I always wondered if he had some sensitive spots. He also never really tried to break skin, but he was the most aggressive cat I've owned.

veinglory

volitare nequeo
Self-Ban
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.veinglory.com
i had a cat that would do this sometimes. I followed a firm rule that a bit got one put down on the floor and ignored and it reduced to only occuring vary rarely.