PDA

View Full Version : Genre problem...

Tiffanie
06-16-2012, 12:33 AM
Iím having a genre problem.

In my query, I classify my novel as fantasy. Plain, simple fantasy. Would it be better for a query to get into a specific sub-genre? Or does it not matter?

I personally canít figure out what genre I would even classify my novel as. There are some gory parts, so I think dark fantasy. Then again, the setting switches from modern Earth to fictional realms, which makes me lean towards high fantasy. Of course, when I think of high fantasy, the first thing I think of is, like, elves, and my MC is an American teenager.

Basically, Iím confused.

I donít want to misrepresent my novel to potential agents.

virtue_summer
06-16-2012, 01:00 AM
Just call it fantasy. Agents will get a more specific picture from the rest of your query and any pages they read.

Tiffanie
06-16-2012, 02:49 AM
Thanks

heyjude
06-16-2012, 04:24 AM
Virtue is definitely right. :)

Tromboli
06-16-2012, 06:58 AM
Although there is a term for a fantasy that starts in our world but leads to another (Narnia type stories), something I hadn't heard much. Soft fantasy maybe? I heard and agent use the term but I forget what it is exactly.

Anyway, just fantasy is fine. Yea, lets just stick with that.:)

Pieohazard
06-16-2012, 12:41 PM
Although there is a term for a fantasy that starts in our world but leads to another (Narnia type stories), something I hadn't heard much. Soft fantasy maybe? I heard and agent use the term but I forget what it is exactly.

I think you're talking about portal fantasy.