Assisted-Suicide Ban struck down by BC Court

Xelebes

Delerium ex Ennui
Registered
Reaction score
CBC News

Busy week in the courts and legislatures in Canada. This ruling flies in the face of the tragic Sue Rodriguez case.

LAgrunion

not to be taken seriously
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
In the article, I thought it was interesting that the Canadian Justice said suicide is not itself illegal.

If I remember correctly, I believe the opposite is true under US criminal law, where suicide is technically illegal. Thus, if you attempt suicide and fail, in theory a homicide charge could be brought against you. Obviously, if you succeed in suicide, the charge would be moot.

juniper

Always curious.
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score

LJD

Registered
Reaction score
In the article, I thought it was interesting that the Canadian Justice said suicide is not itself illegal.

If I remember correctly, I believe the opposite is true under US criminal law, where suicide is technically illegal. Thus, if you attempt suicide and fail, in theory a homicide charge could be brought against you. Obviously, if you succeed in suicide, the charge would be moot.

Historically, I think it was. But it is not illegal now.

Mharvey

Liker Of Happy Things
Registered
Reaction score
It's interesting to note that while it was sort of struck down, Taylor got exactly what she was looking for.

The effect of the ruling will not be immediate, because Smith suspended it for one year in order to give Parliament time to take whatever steps it sees fit to draft and consider new legislation.

But in the meantime, Smith granted Taylor a constitutional exception to seek physician-assisted suicide if she chooses to end her life.

Seems to me, the Canadian courts gave a not-so quiet nod to this idea, but are waiting for parliament to play catch-up.