• Basic Writing questions is not a crit forum. All crits belong in Share Your Work

How to Format a Novel Manuscript Like a Blog

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brett Marie

Slayer of Adverbs
Registered
Reaction score
My novel has two long sections in it that read like the full transcript of a blog, with my plot advancing through daily or weekly entries. I'm wondering how best to format them in a manuscript.

Understand that the entries vary in length. Some are ten or more pages, but one is only ten words long. I had been separating them with the *** breaks, and lumping them together into 'subsections,' but I want to add a date heading at the top of each one, and the simple *** just looks wrong to me with a date set underneath it.

Should I make each entry like a new chapter, breaking between pages and starting each entry halfway down the page? Should I set the date heading to one side? I'd love anyone's thoughts on this.

DanielaTorre

Registered
Reaction score
It's basically the same as writing in a journal. Date at the top, several paragraphs, then name at the bottom if you like. I wouldn't worry about using one page per entry as that's the editor/publisher's choice if it get's published. You can do it that way if you like, but it's kind of annoying if you're an agent and have to continue scrolling to the next page. Set the date on the left hands side normally. Again, publisher might format it differently.

Or do whatever you feel most comfortable doing until you're done and then do a basic format when sending off to agents.

SomethingOrOther

-
Registered
Reaction score
My ideal final appearance would be the example below, and I'd go with whatever manuscript formatting marks and symbols correspond to it. (I don't think font sizes and margins are possible, though. :( But the key part is I'd put the title of the entry above the date, which I think looks better than a lone date.) I've included a bit of the "normal" part of the document to show how I'd treat the transition.

bO9iY.png

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.