PDA

View Full Version : Will

padnar
06-15-2012, 10:28 AM
Hi friends,
I would like to know whether in US whether the will be read in the client's house or the client will go to the Lawyer's office.
My mc grandma has expired and she has left a will
I am not sure , so pl help and thanks
padma

lorna_w
06-15-2012, 06:54 PM
every case I know about, at the lawyer's office. (I'm not a lawyer, just old enough to have had relatives die and execute their estates.)

shadowwalker
06-15-2012, 06:58 PM
Yes, typically at the lawyer's office, but I don't know of any legal prohibitions/requirements as to where it's read.

padnar
06-15-2012, 07:15 PM
Thanks to both of you

MaryMumsy
06-15-2012, 07:29 PM
I've only been at two readings of a will. Both were in my Grandpa's living room. I think it may be a matter of where you (or your MC) are. My Grandpa's town is very small, and I don't think the lawyer even had an office there.

MM

Siri Kirpal
06-15-2012, 08:24 PM
Sat Nam! (Literally "Truth Name"--a Sikh greeting)

In the US, some states don't have a formal reading of the will. I've never heard it done in Oregon for instance. So, what is your setting?

Blessings,

Siri Kirpal

alleycat
06-15-2012, 08:32 PM
In the US, some states don't have a formal reading of the will. I've never heard it done in Oregon for instance. So, what is your setting?

Same here. The attorney usually takes care of it by letter(s) and possibly an informal meeting in my experience.

I wouldn't use a formal will reading in a story unless I really needed it for some reason. It's still done sometimes on TV shows, but it's a little like having a seance to solve a murder mystery; the device was basically hackneyed by the 1940s.

jclarkdawe
06-15-2012, 08:42 PM
Personally I always just mailed out the relevant portion of the will to the person. I might include an explanation of the process is the situation warrants it.

I'll agree with Alleycat. If you're going to include this in your book, you need a good reason, and just because it's the law isn't a good reason for including it.

But if I did one as an attorney, I'd have no problem where I did it. Of course, if I'm doing it at someone's house, they're going to be charged for my driving time and mileage.

Best of luck,

Jim Clark-Dawe

Bufty
06-15-2012, 09:02 PM
Agree with Jim and Alleycat - I've administered thousands of estates and only held a Will reading on one occasion, best forgotten. Dull and boring administrative clauses ad infinitum.

MaryMumsy
06-15-2012, 09:52 PM
In our cases everyone named in the will was in town for the funeral. It was just easier. And the out of town relatives were a PITA anyway.

MM

shaldna
06-15-2012, 10:42 PM
In my experience - Ireland and UK - there is no formal reading and most of it is done via post.

padnar
06-16-2012, 08:59 AM
Thanks , the situation is my mc is in US. She has to visit India . She is an aspiring actress. I am writing a feature script , so is it ok if she visits the lawyers office.